• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sagara Sousuke

Sergeant
46 Badges
Jan 13, 2010
  • Divine Wind
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Magicka
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • BATTLETECH
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Magicka 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • War of the Roses
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Prison Architect
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • March of the Eagles
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Cities: Skylines
Im going to be placing here all the little basic things the game should have and it doesn't.

The interface, here is the whole problem.

1)If you pass your turn, while you wait for the rest of the players to end it, you can't press anything, you can't open any window, you can't even open the global chat.

2)Is very uncomfortable the way it shows the stars you already visited and the ones you didn't, it just shows the name of the star gray if you didn't and white if you did. On Sots 1, is much more visual, The stars you didn't visited are glowing and once visited they have texture (Rock, winter planet, water planet,etc)

3)Is uncomfortable having to open the fleet manager to see which fleet doesn't has a mission assigned.

4)On Ship design there isn't any text explaining what each module is.... this is one of the worst. On Sots 1 you have an explication for each module (Front, middle (role of the ship), engine)

5) When a fleet finished a survey, automatically returns to the star the mission was assigned (there should be an optional option to turn off this, and do the return manually)

6) I can't find a easily way to know if the ship will have enough fuel for the mission when it comes back. (If there is, then the interface is not very well made if i couldn't find it easily)

Im going to be placing here all the little basic things the game should have and it doesn't.

The interface, here is the whole problem.

1)If you pass your turn, while you wait for the rest of the players to end it, you can't press anything, you can't open any window, you can't even open the global chat.
You can access chat by hitting enter. The other parts would be nice though.

2)Is very uncomfortable the way it shows the stars you already visited and the ones you didn't, it just shows the name of the star gray if you didn't and white if you did. On Sots 1, is much more visual, The stars you didn't visited are glowing and once visited they have texture (Rock, winter planet, water planet,etc)
Sadly this wouldnt work for SOTS II as there are multiple planets per star, and the stars actually have gameplay effects. I suggest using 'Survey View' if youre having trouble keeping track.

3)Is uncomfortable having to open the fleet manager to see which fleet doesn't has a mission assigned.
There is an option that will alert you if you have inactive fleets. Fleet manager is also easy to use for this, just open it and select 'No Mission' as the filter.

4)On Ship design there isn't any text explaining what each module is.... this is one of the worst. On Sots 1 you have an explication for each module (Front, middle (role of the ship), engine)
The Sotspedia and the Wiki have this information. I agree it would be nice to have more details on weapons/modules in the popups, but it has been mentioned that it will be added at some point.

5) When a fleet finished a survey, automatically returns to the star the mission was assigned (there should be an optional option to turn off this, and do the return manually)
There is an option in the 'Auto Options' to have a fleet that completes a mission start patrolling at its current location instead of returning. Take note however, that this will only last so long before they have to come back for supplies.

6) I can't find a easily way to know if the ship will have enough fuel for the mission when it comes back. (If there is, then the interface is not very well made if i couldn't find it easily)
Ships will always retain enough fuel to return, so you can keep sending it from mission to mission until it wont let you anymore - at this point you know its down to its reserves and has to go back. Remember that being inside support range (endurance number green) will halve supply usage, and combat will increase it.

Yes, there is. Mouse over the section name and a tooltip will pop up.

Admittedly, some of the tooltip strings were useless last I checked, either being entirely broken or matched to the wrong section. There have been some patches since I last really looked at them so that may be better now.

Actually, there is a explanation:
The sections have a tooltip, just hover over the "Armor/Fusion/Standart Command" text when not having the list of selections expanded. But sometimes the text is cut off. And of coruse having the tooltip whiel having it expanded would be even better.
Also modules to have an explanation, when you enter the "select Module" menu.

I think the forced return is due to lack of Fuel/endurance. I reported it as a bug as some mission could refuelt the fleet easier/no refullign is nessesary (colonizing, for example).
However, you can circumvent it in most cases by enabling "Auto-patrol" in the Auto-options. But now you have to keep track of those fleets yourself. (i.e., no "Fleet idle" warning).

I think the game doesn't allow mission when the fleet has not enough enduracne for both trips and makes a "Forced return" mission if the fleet lands in a system with just enough fuel to return.

My list of proposed improvements:
Event log: Please allow us to disable the "autoforward" for events that have a pupup (Colonizing, Station Build, Battle). I usually have to do work after something is build - ordering the follow up, canceling the unneeded/buggy mission step. Repairing ships after comabt. And changing configuration of fleet (putting ships back to upkeep savign config/in reserve/disolving single purpose fleets).
Refulign mission: Please add a "Refuel at" mission. There is no point going all the way back to your home system, when there is a tank stop 1 turn away.
Fastest/Direct route: Change the Direct/fastest route selection to a ComboBox/radio button group on the "select misison" screen. Disable it only if both routes are the same (not just same lenght/time, but acutall path). Sometimes even Neutrino Pulse gate-Deploy mission want to take the fastest route (if all the players wants is to place is a gate in the final system, regardless of actuall distance). Or want to deploy the gate chain from the closest planet, not the current one (in that case measure the deployment step from the last system of the route, not the current). Also a player may want to know how much endurance a direct route would take, even if the fleet cannot support it.
Admirals: Please make Admiral overview accesible without using "new fleet" (sometimes there migth simply be no place for a new fleet, but I want to know what this admiral that I just got can do).
Admirals: Please make Admirals sortable by Characteristis (reaction, Loyility, Evasion)
Admirals: Please allow player defiend groupign of Admirals (1 group per admiral is enough). Green thumbs/Good Sheppards could go into a palyer defiend "Colonizer" group. For Loa this group may also include pathfinders (as the same fleet can build the gate, survey & colonize).
Budget overview: A button that auto-set Security to the "no corruption" level and keeps it there (currently if income changes between turns the slider get's just a nudge moved and thus becomes unbound to the 0 Corrption marker). Having to go there every turn just to hit a marker is annoying.
Combat - It is a bit annoying that we can't make selection, give order and have the UI update accordingly while paused. If it is unfeasible to put the selection/UI changes out of the game time tick (so it works regardless of pasued state), how about advancing the game one tick (or however many is needed to update the UI) everytime the selection is changed, an order is issued, or anythign else tha requires updating the UI even when paused? I know at least one game that does the same (earth 2150) - orders that concern pathfinding or targetting always advance the gametime one tick even when the game is paused.
PeudoCode Example:
If(!gamePaused || pendingUIchanges)
//execute gameTick
pendingUIchanges = false;
Cosntruction of ships: Please add a "pause after X items" option to build orders. Sometimes a planet can produce massive amounts of ships/platforms per turn. But we can only afford 1-2 per turn. Basically the Queue should contain a "stop" and during construction phase of turn, when the queue hits a "stop" marker it should not invest any left production power into cosntruction this turn but remvoe the stop (so next turn, it can continue normally. Ideally this should be on Invoice level. Even a single piece Invcoie migth benefit from it ("don't start anyting else this turn, after this"). Actually all turnbased production games should have this, I keep wondering why i seem to be the only one that misses that option.
Hiver & Loa Gate system: Any chance that gates in a system allow refulling, the same way planets do (asumign the player has at least one planet)? Somehow these gates get support and getting fuel/energy through them should not be a logistics issue for a star empire. This is more true for hiver then Loa, of course.
Loa, nr. of Cubes selection for new fleets: Please add a Min, Max and "Gatesize" button. Also Cancel would be nice to keep in the Admiral menu if not enough Cubes are there.
Loa fleet movement: Please add a cancel button to the "reduce fleet or slowboat?" Dialog. It sometimes hits you when you used "Continue & Exit" and then canceling the mission might be better (because suddenly the fleet became unsuiteable for the mission.

Sadly the list of small changes is far too numerous for my preference. I have been meaning to repost this list for a while and with so many minor issues introduced by Loa faction that I just give up on amending the original list with more improvements I would like to see.

Listed without any particular order of what I would like to see change or improved about SotS ][. Don't be surprised if you have heard one or two several times before somewhere else from me. I decided with the expansion coming Nov 30th that it would be good to get some thing off my chest.

--Tutorial
*Lack of one
*Helps people move out of their comfortable zone

--Expanding on pirate raiding
*I would like to see more as currently options are limited

--Expanding on drone warfare: mostly less emphasize on suicide roles except for suicide drone*
*harassing drone, sniping drone

--model shape for starships
*conflict with FTL lore
*aesthetic vs function

--Expanding on mission movement* (This is the only item that I have actually seen improvement with since the original post on Kerberos board but still lacking a decent UI to take advantage of.)
*"avoid" z system
*move to x system then invade Y system

--Fix some Deus Ex effect with Diplomacy*
* "Empire of a race extinct event" complex issue
*lack of foreign habitation for some specific cases

--Improve on existing tactical battle interface*
*improve selecting what kind of firing setting and what is priority
*allowing some limit form of editing weapon setting during paused or in tactical manager during fleet selection phase

--Improve diplomacy exchange
*less on spamming asking
*more on two way deals

--Better slider handling
*Some slider need lock function: do not move while I move other
*Some slider still have trouble auto-adjusting to population fluctuation especially for trading goods

--Terrain on map*
*Incomplete features
*Would like to see more

--improve Selection fleet for mission screen
*Show distance to be travel by fleet as opposite to distance between source/destination solar system when selecting a destination for your mission especially noticeable for Hiver/Human/Horde Zuul.

--Improve planetary info-card for Horde Zuul
*Display resource/biosphere damage amount per turn is missing for Horde Zuul when select a planet. Slave population info card where biosphere/resource info card would be for other 5 races (soon to be 6).
*You can only find out about damage to biosphere/resource after the fact.

--Improve to Sotspedia screen
*More info for some area or fill in missing section like Techs -> shield*
*or break up some category into more group like why is unmanned drone under Tech > battlerider?

--More planet variety*
*size/climate hazard/resource variety is boring need more.*
*The little variety that is in game right now to my opinion is having an existentialism crisis. Do I register on player minds? Do I influence player decision to colonize or not?*

--Improve Government window
*Specific government bonus in description moved to bullet format
--more polish

--Reserve for more once SotS ][: Loa arrival to be our new overlord.*

Actually I do have one issue that in my eye is a major waste of a model to put it bluntly.

The invasion LV only offer Loa a sorch earth policy that they can enforce without limitation because they don't use CH and can swing it as far as they want to. Not to mention that the only way to take a planet with minimum CH damage is NOT with the LV invasion at all unless you like to waste two prefect good siege driver by turning them to not fire.

Simply put Invasion LV DO NOT exist when I plan an invasion by actually taking it with CH intact which is a literally joke due to role/name of Invasion LV.

Retrofit mission:
Currently there is too many steps that need to be taken when retrofitting a fleet. You need to have ships in a system with lvl 3 naval base. Select which ships to retrofit, wait one turn and then reassemble the fleet and formation. This should be automated into a mission so that I can send my fleet from any system to be retrofited at my main base, and have new and shiny ships back.

Retrofit mission:
Currently there is too many steps that need to be taken when retrofitting a fleet. You need to have ships in a system with lvl 3 naval base. Select which ships to retrofit, wait one turn and then reassemble the fleet and formation. This should be automated into a mission so that I can send my fleet from any system to be retrofited at my main base, and have new and shiny ships back.
As far as I heard, retrofitting is limited to "Nr. of Docks" Ships per Turn. And retrofitting actualyl requires IO to complete (you may find the Retrofit order in your lsit of Orders). Furthermore, if you have more then one ship type to upgrade (CnC, supply, R&S and your battleships) or more then one Target Class* per ship type this mission would be hard to execute.

*I think branching Retrofit Trees would be nice

More Sugestiosn from me:
Please add a "Bore Line" mission for Zuul with Event Card on Completion. If all I want is to make a node line, why can I only choose to do so with Survey or Patrol missions? Why drag a complete survey fleet at 4 LY along, when my ships easily make 6 LY without the Bore?

Please add a Event Card for:
Deploy gate/Deploy NPG missions completion (often usign auto-patrol to directly follow up with a Survey mission; More true for Loa then Hiver)
Money being invested into special/salvage Projects when no Project is running there (to easy for Prime players to use the wrong slider; No waring if special projects "vanish")
"Planet still has Biosphere"/"colony not self sufficient" warning. Maybe every 10 Turns or so, similar to overh#arvest warning(accidently forgot to remove biopshere after I canceled a mission one to many times as Loa)
"Prototype Compelte" - It's easy to overlook the Prototypes in normal production messages.
"In patrol Posion", as I often have to use Patrol missions to help the Buggy pathfinding/range determiantion. And it is so easy to forget thsoe fleets.
Infrastructure/Terraforming/Terrafoming+Infrastructure Completed (as you had in later versions of Prime)