• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

wertu234

First Lieutenant
56 Badges
Oct 21, 2009
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
Tired of France rolfstomping Iberia? The HRE wiping out the pagans in the north within months, followed by snapping up North Africa? Well, I believe have the solution.

I have modified the CB for the religious war. Basically, you can only declare religious war on a neighbour. What this means is that if you have a demesne province bordering a different religion you can declare war. If you are a Duke, then the demesne of your vassals count. If you are a King or Emperor, then the demesne of your vassals only count if you have the highest level of crown authority (they can't declare war themselves).

I haven't touched crusades, so if the Pope or the Caliph wants to take a province that is surrounded by heathens, that is all well and good.

I also added some piety to successfully applying a Religious war CB.

I haven't really tested this much, so there might be some bugs but its pretty simple and should do what is intended. Let me know your thoughts.

To apply, just copy the file over the one in the Common Folder. A backup might be a good idea.

View attachment cb_types.txt

Yeah, this is probably necessary and they need to nerf it in vanilla as well. Every single time Erik the Heathen wins in Sweden there's a Holy War by the Emperor within months to take Västergötland from him. It's insanely aggressive and I seriously don't think there'd be tens of thousands of German imperial soldiers dying in the forests of Sweden to lay siege to some peripheral Swedish villages.

Will definitely edit it to be different for Terra Normannorum as well. :)

And how exactly Denmark will go fighting the Heathens in the Baltic?

Isn't Denmark still able to forge claims like any ruler would normally do against Christian neighbours?

They shouldn't need to on Pagan lands, since they can use a Holy War CB on them. This fix stops Denmark from attacking the Pagans on mainland Europe.

Whoo! Thank you, hopefully this fixes the terrible HRE/France/Poland/Byzantine rampages.

i know what you mean. in my game the byzantine empire has reconquered all of north africa and are on their way to reforming the universal roman empire. france is roflstomping into spain and poland for some reason has its head shoved so far up finland the sun dont shine.

And how exactly Denmark will go fighting the Heathens in the Baltic?

In 1070? They won't. And they shouldn't. All they'd need is to take one province and then they'd get all the lovely Holy War CBs they can shake a cross at. Presumably one could also just let it unlock with triggers for those specific provinces along with the nations being prepared for it or some year before which it wouldn't really happen etc. depending on if you're Historicity- or Sandbox-inclined. Besides, they'd still be able to push in through the Wends like they did in the Northern Crusades.

They shouldn't need to on Pagan lands, since they can use a Holy War CB on them. This fix stops Denmark from attacking the Pagans on mainland Europe.

They may not need to as a technicality, but I'd gladly make a slight abstraction as "preparing to make this a legitimized Danish beachhead from where to conduct our Crusades" before unlocking all the regular Holy War CBs Christians get for free if it means all the other absolutely insane nonsense would be severely dialed back.

You might mourn the loss of it, but the solution for that would be obvious to anyone.. don't edit your Casus Belli triggers. :)

(Edit: And in case you bring it up, I wasn't saying Paradox's nerf to it would necessarily be making it Neighbour-based unless called by religious leaders, it could be as simple as toning back their aggression or perhaps having the non-Christians be able to have a baseline of levies troops in defensive wars, so a recently crowned Pagan ruler wouldn't end up with 900 men out of 11000 possible when he's defending everyone from the Holy Roman Emperor's infinite legions of invincibility and stubbornness.)

Last edited:
Seems useful. Downloaded and maybe I can actually play in Iberia now. XD

EDIT: It works! Iberia is now represented quite well, actually, when France isn't eating it. The christians are allied, the muslims aren't, and the Almoravids swoop in and pick up the pieces. (It's just that, well, *I* was playing Seville and got pwned. :p)

Last edited:
Would you grant permission to adept this change for the Bella Gerant Alli mod?

Would it make sense to allow "Religious War" only for pious rulers?

The reasoning being, that vassals would only follow a liege on such a venture (from which only the liege profits!!!) if he was a credible and virtuous knoght, i.e. not just a tyrant looking for new land for himself.

The only person who profits from a successful religious war is the man who declares the war. His vassals, who field the troops, get nothing out of it. Realistically, if a king of France wanted to seize Muslim lands for himself, without explicit religious blessing in advance, this should not oblige ANYONE in his realm to help him. If he wants to do that he should (realistically) have to do it with his own troops, plus maybe troops of vassals who feel like helping him even though they're not obliged to do so. But that's not possible with current game mechanics anyways...

I have gotten up to 1200 and things look pretty good. Iberia is still a battle ground and no HRE in North Africa. Muslims have conquered all of Southern Italy, even Rome!

The Crusade targeting should be switched up. The Pope is calling for Crusades to the Holy Land all the time, and even one to Iberia, but not yet for Italy, not even Rome.

@Gaga feel free to use this.

Thank you so much! I actually didn't play CKII last night because I was getting so fed up with HRE in Africa etc. This will hopefully make life a bit more tolerable the next time I play Sicily. I see an awesome weekend of CKII ahead!

Eh. In my game the muslims own half of france, the golden horde has taken all of finland and most of russia. And the muslims are basically 3 nations that dominate anyone who try to go to war with them. Even the pope seems to have given up as he has stopped calling crusades :p

Eh. In my game the muslims own half of france, the golden horde has taken all of finland and most of russia. And the muslims are basically 3 nations that dominate anyone who try to go to war with them. Even the pope seems to have given up as he has stopped calling crusades :p

Golden Horde in Finland seems to be quite usual. Perhaps the special horde invasion CB could use the same treatment as the holy wars in this thread.