• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'll admit that I think Obsidian began production with the clear intent of having players end the game in opposition to Kyros, not expecting that so many would actually want to serve Kyros!
That's pretty bullshit and I don't think anyone writing the story at Obsidian is that stupid.
Working for the bad guys is the very core concept of the game, and it's what the whole appeal of the game is based on, so the majority of people, including myself, came in and tried to be a loyal fatebinder of Kyros. They really would've expected that.

because my main character's basic motivation from the start was always and was always supposed to be "a matter-of-fact loyal nobleman scholar of The Empire, fatebinder and enforcer of Tunon's Law, and firm believer in Kyros' Peace; will do good whenever possible, but will do evil if necessary". All things considered, I think that's a pretty basic and fundamental character concept in light of how the game is presented and how it starts, both in character creation and during The Conquest, but also (mostly) during the Prologue.

Yes, that.

The vast amount of background lore is indicative of a much larger game, but I'm sure it landed in the DLC department where bits and pieces of it got chopped off, and are now waiting for release as $5 dlcs. Because that's how market economy works.

That's pretty bullshit and I don't think anyone writing the story at Obsidian is that stupid.
Working for the bad guys is the very core concept of the game, and it's what the whole appeal of the game is based on, so the majority of people, including myself, came in and tried to be a loyal fatebinder of Kyros. They really would've expected that.

Yes, that.

The vast amount of background lore is indicative of a much larger game, but I'm sure it landed in the DLC department where bits and pieces of it got chopped off, and are now waiting for release as $5 dlcs. Because that's how market economy works.

Theres a bit of a disconnect between being a bad guy and being loyal. Heck, even Ashe really isn't loyal to Kyros. Hes loyal to his legion and their glory above all else. Though I do think the devs didn't realize how many players would wanted to play the willing minion.

"That's pretty bullshit and I don't think anyone writing the story at Obsidian is that stupid."
And yet the game, as written, says the opposite.

Actually, its more likely they ran out of time/money and this game isn't getting DLC. There was hardly any marketing and its a rather unknown game.