• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

OHgamer

Victoria's Plastic Surgeon
38 Badges
Jan 28, 2003
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Victoria 2 Beta
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
The problems players are having with downloading VIP and then going back to vanilla and not having it work is becoming a common issue, so this is to remind everyone of the basic issues and how to resolve them

If you download the VIP mod, you MUST choose to play the scenarios that have the name "VIP..." in them. They are the only scenarios that will have references to all the events used in VIP, including all the vanilla events that we have tweaked, as they are stored in a different file in VIP (scenarios/VIPscen/events/vanilla) compared to original Victoria (db/events).

So make sure ONLY select the scenario "VIP:R Grand Campaign v 0.1" if you want to play VIP. Playing any other scenario that does not contain the name "VIP:R..." in it will not work correctly.

And this brings up a related issue. Some players who download VIP and then decide they do not like it report odd issues when they go back to the Grand Campaign or one of the other original scenarios. One of the most common being no rubber in the game.

There is a reason for this : Victoria does not have mod-dir functionality and thus the VIP mod MUST overwrite universal files in the config and db folders to work. This includes the file province.csv in the config folder, which contains all the starting resources in each province.

The VIP team strongly recommends, as we note in the installer notes for VIP, that players wishing to install VIP do so on a desktop copy of their original Victoria:Revolutions installation. This way, the mod will overwrite the desktop copy version only, leaving your root copy of Victoria alone, so that if you decide you do NOT like VIP, all you have to do is simply delete the desktop copy of Victoria and save yourself having to do a full reinstall of the game.

If you install VIP over your root copy of Victoria:Revolutions and decide you do not like VIP, you MUST manually delete the root file. This is because in some cases the modded files created by VIP will not be deleted if you do an autodelete of the game. So always check that you have completely removed all traces of the Victoria folder from your root directory if you decide you do not like VIP and installed it over your root copy of Victoria. Once all traces of the Victoria folder are removed, you can reinstall Victoria from the CD/Gamersgate as if you were installing it for the first time. (NOTE : on some systems you may have to also remove the key for Victoria in your registry files before you can reinstall. This thread has the basic details on how to delete the registry key if you run into this problem).

Hopefully this will help to resolve some of the repeated postings by players regarding oddness with their games after the install and then try to deinstall VIP or try to play a non-VIP scenario after installing VIP.

I get the issue that i've deleted Victoria files manually (as in E:/Games/Victoria) but when i try to reinstall it thinks that it's already installed. So it gives me the option to reinstall or remove. Tried both, none have any effect at all.

Have you got any advice on this? Damn annoying..

EDIT: LOL, just found out that i HAD infact made a copy of it.

Last edited:
Big problems

Sorry if I shouldn't be posting here but I have a major problem: So I had started playing Vicky again recently (1.04 Vanilla) and decided to try out the VIP mod this time. I downloaded from RelEEs website and installed it in the correct order on top of a Victoria copy on my desktop. When I start a game as a country, while the map is loading I get critical error popups about random files (Ex: one i noticed saying something about 'facists'). They are different for each country and it happens about a hundred times. I can click abort, retry, or ignore. Clicking retry does nothing, clicking abort closes the game and clicking ignore lets it continue loading until the next error message. I hold down the enter button and it flashes through the hundred error popups until the game is loaded. I can actually play the game, but it seems to crash at random. So I open my other version not on the desktop (I can tell it doesn't have VIP because it doesnt have the spiffy new loading screens and countries) and when I try and play a country there, the same thing happens! And that's not even the worst part. I completely delete VIP from the computer, uninstall Vicky and reinstall it (I have the actual Victoria disk) and the Problem is still there! I have removed and reinstalled Vicky 3 times now and have searched my hardrive for any vicky files (There are some but they are 0 bytes and I cannot delete them). I don't know what to do now. I am using Windows Vista Home Edition and have never had a problem with these critical errors messages in the past. Can anyone help?

to confirm you downloaded VIP 1.04 for Victoria non-Revolutions from RELee's site, because an error message with fascist sounds like you might have downloaded VIP:R for Revolutions. I think your best solution is to completely deinstall and start a new reinstall.

That's the problem though. I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled Vicky 3 times and the problem is still there, with or without VIP and/or the 1.04 patch. I've searched my drives for any trace of vicky files after I uninstalled it and can find none (besides those files which say 0 bytes and cannot be deleted). And I'm almost certain I downloaded VIP for vicky.

Edit: So they don't all say fascist, I was just using that as an example. This is what is says exactly:

"Critical Error

Unknown Ideology 'fascist' in file 'db\parties\u20_party.csv'
Do you still want to continue?"

Last edited:
He's not on about the 1.04 patch, he's on about VIP for the 1.04 patch (VIP 0.4 from RELee's website). It sound's like you've tried installing the Revolutions versions of the mod (VIP:R 0.2) onto a plain Vicky installation (with no Revolutions expansion). More to the point... plain Vicky doesn't have fascism in-game.

CHekc to make sure that all Victoria folders are deleted if you did an auto uninstall. Mods often leave behind folders that the auto-uninstall for the original game misses. So you need to manually look and see to be sure that all traces of Victoria are removed.

While you were checking for files, you should check for the hidden ProgramData folder in your C: disk, or whatever your main disk is. Inside the folder, you may have a Paradox Entertainment or Paradox Interactive folder. You should delete that before you reinstall. As for some of the files that cannot be deleted, try rebooting the computer before trying to delete them again.

Best wishes.

Thanks for the help guys. I tried the restart and those undeletable files dissappeared so at least I know that wasnt the problem. I forgot to mention (I had forgotten myself) that I installed Revolutions a while back, but I wasn't too fond of it so I uninstalled it. Could this be a problem? I checked the ProgramData folder and there were no victoria files in it. Are there any other places I should look? I must've checked my drives 10 times now and still cannot find anything.