Important Information for Microsoft Store Customers [Updated 29/02/24]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Arheo

Game Director - Hearts of Iron
Paradox Staff
Feb 13, 2018
Hi all,

Arheo here with some news about Hearts of Iron IV’s development on Microsoft Store. In the near future (exact date under discussion with Microsoft), Hearts of Iron IV will no longer be sold nor updated through the Microsoft store.

Why are we doing this?

We are doing this because it allows us to best utilize our resources supporting the platforms on which the vast majority of Hearts of Iron IV players are present.

What happens to existing customers?

For our Microsoft players I understand that this is likely to be a disappointment. We consider it our duty to ensure that alternative arrangements are made for everyone who owns Hearts of Iron IV, DLCs, or content packs on Microsoft. This is something we’re actively working to resolve - we'll let you know as soon as we have anything to share.

As a final note, I’d like to point out that each studio and game at Paradox has significant autonomy in defining its own strategy: this action is not indicative of a company-wide decision.

------------ Update: 29/01/2024 ------------
Hi all,

As promised, I'm back with some more info on this topic: We're currently working to set up a framework by which existing Microsoft Store customers will be able to redeem single-use Steam product keys for every Hearts of Iron IV product they own on Microsoft. These will be provided at no cost.

All our Microsoft customers will receive further information on how to go about redeeming these once the framework is set up.

------------ Update: 06/02/2024 ------------

From March 1st onwards it will no longer be possible to purchase the game through the Microsoft Store. At this point, support for Hearts of Iron 4 on the MS platform will end. On this date, we will also be launching our solution to provide owners of HOI4 products on the Microsoft Store with Steam keys - we'll provide further details on exactly how this will work nearer March 1st.

------------ Update: 29/02/2024 ------------

Alright folks, a couple of scheduling changes and some more info:

We were hoping to target March 1st for the rollout here, but we're slightly delayed on implementation and we don't want to drop this on a Friday and go incommunicado over the weekend. So if all goes according to plan, the web service for key substitution will open next week.

Please do not send me more message asking when it'll be ready. The information is all here.

When the service opens next week, you can follow these steps to claim your replacement key:

IMPORTANT - To access your substitution, you require a Paradox account. If you don't have one, you can create it at https://beta-accounts.paradoxinteractive.com/
  • Make sure that your game is updated to the latest patch (1.13.7) on Microsoft Store.
  • Start your game and make sure that you're logged in to your Paradox account in-game. Once you've booted the MS client in a logged in state, you're eligible for the replacement
  • Go to https://beta-accounts.paradoxinteractive.com/ and log in with your Paradox account
  • Navigate to the "Campaigns" tab
  • Click "Claim" in the box titled "Hearts of Iron 4 - MS Store compensation"
  • You'll receive a Steam key, which you can redeem in your Steam client

Last edited:
  • 15Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Interesting, I have seen that too for Phoenix Point. Not all DLCs (the last 2 or 3) are availible on Micorosoft Game-Store / Plattform anymore, which is realy sad. On Steam and it´s direct Rival you get the fully Game incl. all DLCs. Therefore the Game were only availible exclusive on Microsoft Gamestore and the direct Rival to Steam (have forgotten the Name, it´s an direct Rival to Steam with to less Funcitions [no Forums etc.]). Now you get Phoenix Point fully on Steam, GoG and the Steam-Rival.

The Microsoft Game-Store / Plattform is good too, I use it for 2 or 3 Games, which were / are exclusive for it and the direct Steam-Rival. When Paradox for their own Games made that Decission not to use the Microsoft Game-Store anymore, then it´s their good right. It´s only an Gaming-Plattform under about 10 / 12 worldwide from what I know.

Hi all,

Arheo here with some news about Hearts of Iron IV’s development on Microsoft Store. In the near future (exact date under discussion with Microsoft), Hearts of Iron IV will no longer be sold nor updated through the Microsoft store.

Why are we doing this?

We are doing this because it allows us to best utilize our resources supporting the platforms on which the vast majority of Hearts of Iron IV players are present.

For our Microsoft players I understand that this is likely to be a disappointment. We consider it our duty to ensure that alternative arrangements are made for everyone who owns Hearts of Iron IV, DLCs, or content packs on Microsoft. This is something we’re actively working to resolve - we'll let you know as soon as we have anything to share.

As a final note, I’d like to point out that each studio and game at Paradox has significant autonomy in defining its own strategy: this action is not indicative of a company-wide decision.
Is there a chance of adding the recently announced DLC to the Microsoft Store?

I'm afraid Trial of Allegiance will not be available on the Microsoft Store.
Well, that disappointed me a little since I'm Argentinian and I'm excited to try the DLC with my country and its new content, but I won't go crazy about it either hahahaha

For now, I understand that you are probably not authorized to give more details on the matter, and although I would like the solution to not be simply a refund since I bought it a few days ago and I love the game, and also because in my country we pay around 60% in taxes for making the purchase in foreign currency (and a refund is not going to give me back what I spent on it, which I don't like if I'm honest), I understand that the team in charge of these sort of things has the final decision. I can only say that I would like to continue playing HOI4 in the future on Steam if it is not possible on this platform, I have no problem with it and I understand why, but I reiterate that I honestly would not like a refund, for the reasons expressed before (I'm not going to get angry either, I don't think that the opinion of someone like me influences the final decisions much and I respect whatever the final decision is). With all this said, I hope everyone in charge of the game has a good day and greetings from Argentina!

Last edited:
Reactions:
Aww, cmon i bought HoI4 like a month ago and now i need to buy it again? :(
its the second time i lose a game because its discontinued on gamepass.
can i at least get a refund of something?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, that disappointed me a little since I'm Argentinian and I'm excited to try the DLC with my country and its new content, but I won't go crazy about it either hahahaha

For now, I understand that you are probably not authorized to give more details on the matter, and although I would like the solution to not be simply a refund since I bought it a few days ago and I love the game, and also because in my country we pay around 60% in taxes for making the purchase in foreign currency (and a refund is not going to give me back what I spent on it, which I don't like if I'm honest), I understand that the team in charge of these sort of things has the final decision. I can only say that I would like to continue playing HOI4 in the future on Steam if it is not possible on this platform, I have no problem with it and I understand why, but I reiterate that I honestly would not like a refund, for the reasons expressed before (I'm not going to get angry either, I don't think that the opinion of someone like me influences the final decisions much and I respect whatever the final decision is). With all this said, I hope everyone in charge of the game has a good day and greetings from Argentina!

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game - I understand the situation must be particularly difficult for you right now. We're still sorting out some details for alternative arrangements, but I'll let you know as soon as I can.

Aww, cmon i bought HoI4 like a month ago and now i need to buy it again? :(
its the second time i lose a game because its discontinued on gamepass.
can i at least get a refund of something?

As I understand it you will not lose access to what you currently have, but I'd avoid purchasing the game again until we've finished working out the aforementioned alternative arrangements.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I realy hope i can get all of My dlcs on steam beacuse i have spent over 100 euros on this game and i would realy like to play the upcomming dlc paradox please.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Hi all,

Why are we doing this?

will we still be able to play it from xbox?

• 1Like
Reactions:
will we still be able to play it from xbox?

If you are playing it from an Xbox I'd be thrilled to know how, as we've never released a console version of HoI!

If you mean gamepass, we have not been present there for more than a year now.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Glad to hear you're enjoying the game - I understand the situation must be particularly difficult for you right now. We're still sorting out some details for alternative arrangements, but I'll let you know as soon as I can.

As I understand it you will not lose access to what you currently have, but I'd avoid purchasing the game again until we've finished working out the aforementioned alternative arrangements.
Well, Honestly thank you for closing HoI4 on Gamepass, the mod system is just garbage, now i have an actual reason to get the Steam version

• 1Like
Reactions:
It´s not the first Game on Microsoft-Game-Store. The best example I know is Phoenix Point, which get supportet there with Game-Pass too up to an DLC-Limit. After that you have to switch to an other Game-Platform when you wanna play the fully Potential from it.

The Reasons can be very different, why an Publisher / Game-Developer cancel their support there.

Hi all,

Why are we doing this?

So I have the game and all the dlcs i have spent £150 to £200 pounds on this game to possibly lose all my money. will we at least get our money back or the game on steam which most of us would prefer as this isnt the first time you have robbed us when taking hearts of iron off gamepass and forcing us to spend more to buy the game. which if i new i would of purchased through steam. dont get me wrong i love this game and all the new content.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hi all,

Why are we doing this?

In the future will I still be able to play hoi4 from Microsoft

Hi all,

Why are we doing this?

Any updates on what will happen to us existing customers? I have bought almost every single expansion and DLC for hearts of Iron IV including the game itself and simply cannot afford to spend in the ballpark of 100 pounds on the game again on steam.

Will we get a refund? A steam key?

I apologise if I come off as too desperate here, but I would rather not lose my game and see nothing for it.

Reactions: