Imperium Universalis (EU4 Mod) vs. Imperator Rome?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I own I:R and maybe I will buy EU4.
What are the difference between the Imperium Mod and I:R. Which one is better or more enjoyable?

Thanks in advance.
As an absolutely unbiased I:R player that never played EUIV I'm gonna say I:R is better.

Edit: I have bought EUIV in the meantime and can confirm the above with this caveat.

Last edited:
  • 4Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Imperium Universalis is absolutely massive and, thus, suffers from performance issues. The game ranges from Spain to China, Denmark to Nubia. There are many, many, many provinces and tags.

Although it is a classical era game, it is still very much EU IV like. The main focus is on conquering territories, increasing your technology and navigating the diplomatic landscape.

Neither is better or worse, they are quite different games. I:T is much tighter and smaller in scope, Imperium is much looser and larger in scope. If you like the warring and diplomatic aspect of EU IV, you will really enjoy Imperium.

Reactions:
Imperium Universalis is absolutely massive and, thus, suffers from performance issues. The game ranges from Spain to China, Denmark to Nubia. There are many, many, many provinces and tags.

Although it is a classical era game, it is still very much EU IV like. The main focus is on conquering territories, increasing your technology and navigating the diplomatic landscape.

Neither is better or worse, they are quite different games. I:T is much tighter and smaller in scope, Imperium is much looser and larger in scope. If you like the warring and diplomatic aspect of EU IV, you will really enjoy Imperium.

Okay thank your for your answer. Thats intresting, I assumed the opposite. Because EUIV get more updates and improvements. Maybe later I will try later EU4.

Anybody have some other opions or suggestions?

Last edited:
One major benefit of Imperium Universalis is not only the geographic diversity but also the chronological one! That is, the possibility to start in very ancient times (early iron age) down to many bookmarks starting at other key periods (still in development but released very soon).

I really wish Paradox had not given up on this great feature of letting us know when to choose a game.

• 1Like
Reactions:
One major benefit of Imperium Universalis is not only the geographic diversity but also the chronological one! That is, the possibility to start in very ancient times (early iron age) down to many bookmarks starting at other key periods (still in development but released very soon).

I really wish Paradox had not given up on this great feature of letting us know when to choose a game.

I'm afraid that isn't true any longer. Since some versions ago the Devs consolidated the game into a single start date and have been slowly adding more. I think last time I played (an year ago) there were only three starting dates. Don't know how many there are now.

Yes, they removed most if not all bookmarks; but this was temporary as they overhauled systems; they are now re-introducing most if not all previous bookmarks in the upcoming release, according to many screenshots and discussions.

This is exactly what I was waiting to start again playing the mod and will be a major advantage over I:R.

Reactions:
I own I:R and maybe I will buy EU4.
What are the difference between the Imperium Mod and I:R. Which one is better or more enjoyable?

Thanks in advance.

Imperium Universalis is still EU4. So it is a completely different game than I:R. I like both a lot.

Notice that Imperium Universalis starts quite earlier than I:R. While I:R begins after the death of Alexander, Imperium begins in the liberation war of Babylon and Media against Assyria, so before the rise of Persian Empire and much before Alexander. Notice that Imperium also crashes quite a lot, at least with me. I played it thrice, one Carthage run, one with Assyria run and one WC with Panchala (an Indian tag). For exeperinced EU4 players the mod is too easy, because the way they implemented vassals, whose liberty desire doesnt take into account all vassals' power in the mod. So it is quite easy to blob through subjects.

If you like mods, I would say buy EU4, because the massive number of good mods. Anbennar, a fantasy one, is fantastic, MEIOU is the best strategy game out there (if it doesnt kill your processor), Common Universalis is great and so on. But EU4 is very expensive because of DLCs.

• 1Like
Reactions: