• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Whenever I can spare the time, I read your AAR. It is a pleasure for the brain; having said that I second Ricardo's opinion. If you managed to take most of the UK, you will have the needed LS, IC and MP to mass produce up-to-date INF divisions that might actually do a lot of damage to the Soviets (alongside the German's OFC). Nice update as always. :)

just one quiet little lurker here to say that I'm impressed.

Great you kept going and just wore the British down and now you and Germany are having a race for London. That's great going and no sign of the Italians. Are the Italiancs doing anything? I think the Germans would attack the USSR once Britain is finished. Figuring that the ai in this version can't handle mutiple fronts.

Whenever I can spare the time, I read your AAR. It is a pleasure for the brain; having said that I second Ricardo's opinion. If you managed to take most of the UK, you will have the needed LS, IC and MP to mass produce up-to-date INF divisions that might actually do a lot of damage to the Soviets (alongside the German's OFC). Nice update as always. :)

Thanks, BarrosRodrigues! I really appreciate that!

I'm really not sure about having the power to do anything substantial against the USSR. Remember, I'm still using 1938 techs, and my armored techs are still probably about 1936 at best. I'd have to do all that catching up, and the Soviets are not idle in researching. I also don't really have the MP to do it, I don't think. I'd still be a second player to the Germans, and their AI just isn't cutting it.

The good news is I'll be starting Kriegsgefahr up again, if you have any interest in that! :) ??

just one quiet little lurker here to say that I'm impressed.

Thanks, Misterbean! Always glad to have you watching!

Great you kept going and just wore the British down and now you and Germany are having a race for London. That's great going and no sign of the Italians. Are the Italiancs doing anything? I think the Germans would attack the USSR once Britain is finished. Figuring that the ai in this version can't handle mutiple fronts.

Thanks! Persistance! That's been part of the Portugal formula all along! :) The Italians went quiet after they nearly beat the Germans to Paris, except for when they won the race to Alexandria. I don't know what to expect with the Germans and USSR. I actually wonder what kind of an army they have. That's part of why I don't want to keep going with this -- I have such a low level of trust that Germany or the USSR or Japan or the USA will ever do anything. It's like the AI is asleep. Now, on one hand, that's what helped me to do all this with the few resources I had, and so maybe it takes away some of the thrill of winning. But it also disrupts the realism, and that's what's bugging me. Kriegsgefahr is REAL! :D I've got a serious opponent, and I'm not even sure if I can win against them with the handicaps I've built in. So I feel a real draw in that direction.

At the same time, I don't want to see this AAR come to a close. Two or three months ago, I was itching to finish it and get it out of the way, but now that we're so close to the end, I'm dragging my feet and don't want to see it end. ;)

Nevertheless, I'm going to try to produce an update this weekend.

Thanks for your continued readership, everybody, and your kind comments, and your loyalty! I've really enjoyed seeing all the "regulars" over here, and also the new people who've stopped in to say hi, if only briefly!

Rensslaer

Exactly, Captain Slow and the rest of the German Army in Britain will finally move out of their cubby hole once they know that Portugal has removed any chance of them being frightened by their own shadow.

Even as Portuguese and German troops closed in on London and the rest of the English cities, there remained one thing to be done… A matter of Portuguese pride.

23Jul1943Goa_zps295bdc99.jpg

The Germans had already taken a good portion of British India. But our citizens in Goa, down the coast some ways, were still under British occupation. And it was incumbent upon the Portuguese Army and Navy to ensure that they were not, ultimately, freed by Germans, but by their countrymen.

The 25th Garrison Division was landed near Goa on the 25th, and they quickly subdued the skeleton crew garrison the British had left to defend the city. An uprising of Portuguese citizens helped us along. Goa was in Portuguese hands again, before the end of the war.

But our swelling pride was tempered by bad news we had had from just two days before…

22Jul1943Channel_zpse0414041.jpg

Our only two remaining cruisers, the damaged Vila Nova de Gaia, and her lighter cousin Matosinhos, had been covering troopship operations in the English Channel when they were surprised by the appearance of a powerful British fleet, led by HMS Valiant, a battleship, and two small aircraft carriers.

Our cruisers hadn’t a chance. Vila Nova de Gaia put up a fight, but against a battleship she was hopelessly outgunned, especially in her already-wounded state. Seeing her larger compatriot fall, Matosinhos made a run for it, but was sunk by Gladiators from HMS Hermes. The British must have scrounged all the last of their fuel to mount that final riposte to our naval operations. How that stung.

18Jul1943Invasion_zpsf330be95.jpg

We had been surprised to find, at the beginning of the month, that the Germans were mounting another amphibious invasion. This time at Hull, along the North Sea Coast. On the 18th, the British paratroopers defending the port were defeated, and fell back along the path to London.

The Germans came ashore, then, in great numbers. They included a division of paratroopers, a light armored division, and 8 infantry divsions.

18Jul1943Expeditionary_zps18f7072b.jpg

It was somewhat of an additional surprise, then, that the German commanders agreed to place themselves under Portuguese central command – to take orders from Gen. Barros Rodrigues, our lead commander in the Isles.

OOC: It’s kind of funny how this comedy of errors compounded. I’d remarked earlier on how silly it was for them to have invaded at a defended port at Hull, instead of slipping into an undefended port, just one province south, at Grimsby. Also, once they got into Hull, the territory was contiguous with Portuguese-occupied land, and so Hull became occupied NOT by Germany, but by Portugal (I suspect if they’d landed at Grimsby, it would have become German-occupied land, supplied from Germany through that port). Once that happened, I figure the AI decided (wisely) that it would make more sense just to hand the whole 10 divisions over to Portugal to command, since we were providing their supplies.

18Jul1943Plymouth_zpsdebe06b1.jpg

The British had brought a paratroop division and a motorized infantry division to bear upon our own motorized infantry division at Plymouth, and our Portuguese troops were too weak to remain for long. But the 22nd and 23rd Garrison Divisions, from the north, flanked the British at Exeter, and they dropped their attack.

The 3rd Armored Car Division then slipped in behind Exeter, cutting it off from supply, and the British were stuck. Not yet – they still had plenty of supply to last, and had fighting strength, too. But they were cut off, and would eventually start having problems. Realizing this, they turned their back on Plymouth and attacked outward, toward the armored cars, trying to escape.

19Jul1943Breakout_zps0f1afe81.jpg

Once we were placed in overall command of the German invasion force at Hull, we planned to deploy their divisions appropriately, and for maximum effect. These were full, combat-ready divisions – not understrength, underarmed, lightweight divisions like Portugal fielded. We could move heavy stones with these divisions. They divided, and began to conquer.

Eventually, the trapped British at Liverpool realized that they were being completely and utterly surrounded – even Birmingham was surrounded, then – and there was no hope of remaining there. The 38th Welsh Division attempted to break out – through the 4th Cavalry. But other Portuguese infantry divisions attacked their flank to harry their escape and distract from their mission.

23Jul1943Liverpool_zpsac0c7597.jpg

The 48th South Midlands Division was in a worse position, trapped to the north of Liverpool. Portuguese divisions made a concentrated effort to push her back into Liverpool, or defeat her on the spot.

Birmingham fell on the 26th, under attack by Gen. Lemelsen’s light panzer and motorized division, already arrived at Birmingham from Hull.

25Jul1943Birmingham_zps5eded06b.jpg

By that time, there was no hope at all for the British Welsh or Midlands divisions to escape the Liverpool pocket. More German divisions were sweeping south from Hull toward London. And it quite appeared that the British had sent their reserves north, already, or east. And there was no reserve remaining to defend London. Not anything to speak of, anyway.

The British government – those who remained, which did not include the King or his family – conferred, and decided that it was time to admit defeat. They could do no more from the British Isles. The war would continue from Canada – they would not betray those overseas who still had the spirit, if not really the means, to resist. But the war in the British Isles would end, and so would the killing.

28Jul1943Surrender_zps296f8576.jpg

They surrendered to Portugal. Pointedly, not to Germany. And no one argued the point, as it was clear to all that Portugal had accomplished most of what needed doing to accomplish this.

Portugal chose to annex the British Empire, rather than to allow them to continue as a separate, and rather massive independent power. The situation would be sorted out later, with Britain becoming independent without her empire. The formal ceremony was held on the 28th of July, 1943, though a cease fire had ended all combat the day prior.

28Jul1943SAfricans_zpsd95607a6.jpg

I will post another update this week, detailing the situation as it stands, and showing how we will proceed with the rest of the war. This update is too busy to give a real update of the worldwide situation. But I did want to give you a closing shot of something that GREATLY amused me, as I wrapped up the war in Britain. That’s, I think, the HQ and infantry divisions which had escaped all our so-far defeated enemies, and had come to rest in Britian with their Governments in Exile.

Last edited:
They surrendered to Portugal. Pointedly, not to Germany. And no one argued the point, as it was clear to all that Portugal had accomplished most of what needed doing to accomplish this.
I'm thinking back to the scene of Hitler berating his generals and other allies for being shown up by Portugal and smiling. Although, given that he handed over ten divisions over to Portugal, I'd imagine he's more or less accepted them as an equal by now.

So which Goliath are you going to turn your sling to next, the U.S. or the U.S.S.R.?

So, finally Germany decided to borrow some troops to Portugal ... they would had been far more useful in earlier stages, but beggars can't be choosers :p In fact it looks that the Germany AI finally woke up ... maybe they will start moving vs the Russians now ...

On other news, I can imagine a scene of the caliber of the Hitler tantrum in The Fall in Berlin at this moment :D

I am mostly impressed by how much you can accomplish with units like armoured cars and garrisons when you have to. Very nice job. Well deserved.

Exactly, Captain Slow and the rest of the German Army in Britain will finally move out of their cubby hole once they know that Portugal has removed any chance of them being frightened by their own shadow.

It all worked together for good, I think. The Germans are happy, and the Portuguese are happy.

I'm thinking back to the scene of Hitler berating his generals and other allies for being shown up by Portugal and smiling. Although, given that he handed over ten divisions over to Portugal, I'd imagine he's more or less accepted them as an equal by now.

So which Goliath are you going to turn your sling to next, the U.S. or the U.S.S.R.?

Welcome, Warlord Skorr! Yes, I can just imagine Hitler's pique! :) Of course, he long had a soft spot for Britain, so it's possible he didn't want to be the one to destroy their country. Portugal will free them eventually -- just didn't want to free the whole Empire to them again.

So, finally Germany decided to borrow some troops to Portugal ... they would had been far more useful in earlier stages, but beggars can't be choosers :p In fact it looks that the Germany AI finally woke up ... maybe they will start moving vs the Russians now ...

I've quite given up on the AI waking up and doing anything between either the US and Germany, the US and Japan, or Germany and Russia. I think the AI is, ultimately, dead except when kicked by some strange things.

Good job with UK I haven't really read all of the AAR, but still I have read as much as could ;)

Welcome Tate43! Thanks! I remember you've dropped into one of my other AARs, but this is your first post here, so glad to have you! Love to hear your thoughts if you're able to catch up.

I am mostly impressed by how much you can accomplish with units like armoured cars and garrisons when you have to. Very nice job. Well deserved.

Ahh, MisterBean... You make me reminisce! :D So here's a little story... I had tried this scenario (Portugal joining Axis and using mobile tactics to invade British and French ports around the world) during the HOI 3 beta, and it seemed very feasable. But, due to the quick-paced nature of a betatest, I was never able to develop the scenario for long -- I knew I could take ports, but how many and for how long before I ran to the end of my leash, I didn't know. And so I was quite surprised, not by my early conquests, but that I was able to keep it going once I had the real game to play with. In those early days I would never -- NEVER -- have imagined going toe to toe with the British home defense forces with my mere armored cars and garrisons. :D

The sun has set on the British Empire. Good night!

I advise Mr. Salazar to take a nice vacation to Port Isaac, Cornwall now and enjoy the view (Doc Martin was filmed there!).

Indeed. End of a saga! I'll let Salazar know. I watched an episode of Doc Martin, but my wife wasn't too impressed, so we went off and watched other BBC programming, like Foyle's War and Downton Abbey instead. I may come back to it one of these days.

Thanks, everybody, for your kind comments! Another update coming later this week, I think. I'm taking advantage of the long weekend to get some of my AARs run ahead, so I don't have to scramble to keep the schedule. Anyone else want to say hi? Might be a dwindling chance to catch it while it's still running! :)

Rensslaer

I watched an episode of Doc Martin, but my wife wasn't too impressed, so we went off and watched other BBC programming, like Foyle's War and Downton Abbey instead. I may come back to it one of these days.
Foyle's War is pretty good, too. I haven't seen Downton Abbey yet, though I hear it's pretty good.

It will be interesting where this AAR goes from here with the lion having already been slain.

Foyle's War is pretty good, too. I haven't seen Downton Abbey yet, though I hear it's pretty good.

It will be interesting where this AAR goes from here with the lion having already been slain.

Foyle's War and Sherlock are probably my two favorite British TV shows. Babylon 5 will be hard to displace as favorite show altogether, but Sherlock came close.

I don't know if you saw my other posts in responses to others. I'm unlikely to carry this on beyond Canada. There's still the USSR and Japan and the US, but the game at this point is too flawed, and I can't count on Germany to carry her weight. I'm going to call it good and allow people to speculate how things go. Or else I may end it with an Epilogue and plot out the future without playing it out. I guess I still have a couple of weeks to decide.

Another update already half ready. I may wait to post until the weekend.

Thanks!

Renss

I'm going to call it good and allow people to speculate how things go. Or else I may end it with an Epilogue and plot out the future without playing it out.

Ok Renns, I'm counting on you to not follow the suit of "No Country For Old Men" by having a wonderfully well written story followed up with a meh so-so ending. I'm sure you're not to disappoint.

:laugh:

Thanks, BarrosRodrigues! I really appreciate that!

I'm really not sure about having the power to do anything substantial against the USSR. Remember, I'm still using 1938 techs, and my armored techs are still probably about 1936 at best. I'd have to do all that catching up, and the Soviets are not idle in researching. I also don't really have the MP to do it, I don't think. I'd still be a second player to the Germans, and their AI just isn't cutting it.

The good news is I'll be starting Kriegsgefahr up again, if you have any interest in that! :) ??

You're welcome but it should be the readers that should be thanking you for all the great content you're delivering for free; so thank you!
Again nice job in Britain and I will do my best to catch up with your HPP AAR, I have a lot of catching up to do but it will surely be time well spent. :)

I apologize in advance for this being a very, VERY long update! :)

The world of August, 1943, was a changed one, with the sudden absence of the British Empire.

By annexing Great Britain, and her Empire, Portugal had taken control of vast swathes of not just the British Isles themselves, but also India, Africa, etc. Most of this had already been under Portuguese control. But India, in particular, was new.

28Jul1943England_zps1aff4eb4.jpg

Britain was ruled, for the time being, by a civilian government with the collaboration of the Portuguese occupation armies.

India was a different matter – the British authorities had maintained governance of most of India at the end of the war. But the people of India were always ambivalent toward their colonial status, even more so now that the “British Empire” no longer existed. They were restive, and not altogether welcoming of Portuguese soldiers, without some advance assurance that they would be given their freedom.

28Jul1943India_zps1e45c54d.jpg

Germany kept the portions of India it had already captured. But the rest of India was declared to be under the administrative control of the Portuguese government, based out of Goa, until such time as the independence of India could be arranged.

On the 31st of July, South Africa surrendered, offering a cessation of hostilities if South Africa’s independence could be guaranteed. The situation there, as in India, was complicated. The majority of the population had grown accustomed over the last couple of years to having more independence under Portugal than they had enjoyed previously under the British/Boer rule. Revolts threatened to break out if the country were to be returned to a status quo situation from before the war. And, so, Portugal arranged to oversee a gradual transition of power to a mixed ethnic government which could provide stability as the country integrated. Once done, South Africa was free again.

28Jul1943SAfrica_zpscc8324cc.jpg

Germany retained the awkward patches of the Belgian Congo she had taken over on the surrender of Belgium. Negotiations would begin within 6 months to determine how Germany’s former colonies, from before World War I, would be returned to her.

Norway and Denmark chose to surrender to Germany, understanding that to be the most logical path. Germany allowed Norway to continue under the puppet government of Prime Minister Quisling. But Denmark was annexed to the Reich.

1Aug1943Europe_zpsc344ea05.jpg

Germany still faced off against the USSR. But the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact seemed as strong as ever. It was assumed, among many anti-Communists, that Hitler was simply biding his time, getting his forces up to the task, and would eventually invade the Soviet Union. But others believed Germany was content with the way things had ended up. Certainly, Germany was now a dominant world player, along with the USSR and USA, and perhaps Japan and Portugal, depending who you asked. But was that enough?

In any case, nothing would happen against the Soviets before the divisions Germany had committed to the British Isles were returned. And that could take some time.

4Aug1943Netherlands_zps29ef1c8b.jpg

The Dutch surrendered on August 4. Portugal annexed their country, but left it open as to whether this was a temporary or permanent arrangement. There was concern that holding onto the Lowlands, proper, might bring us into eventual conflict with Germany, which seemed to desire that land (or the defensive shield offered by their coastline, anyway).

But the East Indies would certainly remain a Portuguese possession. We had fought hard for that territory, and were not giving it up.

France surrendered to Portugal, which annexed it. But the scraps of territory held by the so-called “government of France” were few and far between. This was the Free French government, which controlled virtually nothing. Whereas Vichy France remained independent, and most of European France had been under the direct control of Germany – considered part of the German Empire – since France fell, two years ago.

Canada, where the last vestiges of British resistance to Axis empire remained (remember, New Zealand never joined the war), has already seen a German invasion. And when the British Empire surrendered, so did Newfoundland, and so Portugal had a ready base from which to move...

29Jul1943Canada_zps804d0c29.jpg

It took about two weeks for Portugal to get organized and get transports across the Atlantic to protect its new American territory. Not that the Canadians were in any position to go on the offensive – the Germans were keeping them busy, and there was no opportunity to seize the initiative.

But when Portuguese troops came, they began taking the northern shores of the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

12Aug1943Canada_zpsb0c7a29f.jpg

Please forgive me if I don’t give details. Nothing of any import happened in this war. There is no substance from which to create an entertaining narrative. We took over Canada, and that was it.

The Germans had taken Ottawa and Toronto by mid-September. Portuguese armored cars took Winnipeg in late September, and a Portuguese naval force from the East Indies had already landed in Vancouver on 12 September. Canada surrendered on 28 September.

Canada was allowed to retain its government, but it was a puppet regime. The United States had never seen fit to get involved to direct matters, and so Canada had no choice but to obey.

Then, with breathless and stunned finality, World War II was over. The enemies of the Axis vanquished.

Portugal had won. In some ways, she had won more substantially than had the vaunted German Empire.

Consider….

The state of the Portuguese economy:

Sep1943Economy_zps3791cf9b.jpg

I’ll compare September to September, so you can get an idea of these changes. Portugal started the game in January 1936 with only 11 IC. Changes in economic policies brought her up to 29 IC by September 1937, and that had only increased to 31 by September 1939 before Portugal entered the war. As she entered WWII that month, the economy increased to 39 IC.

Portugal had expanded her economy, largely through conquest, to 50 IC by September 1940, and 64 IC by September 1941, more or less stagnating there, increasing only to 67 IC by September 1942. Then, by May of 1943, it was up to 77, and finishing the year 1943 off with a whopping 157 after the annexation of the British Empire and all her holdings.

Keep in mind that, in the Sep. 1 1939 Blitzkrieg scenario, Germany STARTS 1939 with 256 IC. ;)

Consider…

The state of the Portuguese military:

1Sep39Deployments.jpg

You’ll recall, perhaps (maybe not – I sure didn’t!), how weak the Portuguese military was on the very eve of war, in September 1939 – the force with which she struck out at the French and British colonies. Only 11 infantry brigades (if you consider a division 3 brigades, that’s less than 4 full infantry divisions!), 6 cavalry brigades (2 divisions equivalency), and 24 garrison brigades (8 divisions). Only 1 tactical bomber airwing, only 1 submarine flotilla, 2 destroyer flotillas, and only 3 transport flotillas. That’s SLIM! :)

Even by the end of the war, Portugal’s military strength was paltry by HOI 3 or major power standards. Her navy, most recently having lost its two cruisers, was reduced to almost nothing (there was a battlecruiser on its way). Four armored car brigades, 2 light armored brigades (built in the final days – they were license-built, as I had no tech for them), 10 horse cavalry, 2 motorized infantry brigades (that’s it!), 50 foot infantry brigades, and 38 brigades of garrison or militia. That’s not much!

Sep1943Military_zps85a31153.jpg

Perhaps that will give perspective to those who are urging me on, to attack the USSR! :D

Consider…

The technology of the Portuguese military….

Sep1943Tech_zpsfee864df.jpg

Remember, most Portuguese techs, even by the 1943 end of the game, were at 1938 levels, according to game standards. In the above screenshot you can see that a Portuguese infantry brigade in 1943 was approximately equal to a German infantry brigade from 1939 (at game start in the Sep 1 Blitzkrieg scenario – obviously most players who start from 1936 have their German infantry brigades at higher tech by 1939). The major difference is that in 1939 German infantry had a toughness of 7 – offensive ability to withstand damage on the advance – whereas Portuguese infantry had only 4. It’s worth noting, though, that I’d advanced my infantry DEFENSIVE tech (defensiveness) to an equal level with the Germans in 1939 – a level of 8 – because defense was my primary research priority.

Further, notice that German CAVALRY techs, in 1939, are better than Portugal’s in 1943, and armored car techs too. Only our Garrison brigades were tougher than the Germans, because that’s where we concentrated our early research. Even at the end of the war, it still seemed rather unremarkable for Portugal to consider building a division from an armored car brigade and two brigades of horse cavalry!

In 1943 we were still using the Ju-86 bombers (mid-1930’s model tech) we started the game with – no time to increase our aviation techs. Of course we also had the license-built Fw-200s and Bf-109s.

Despite absolute naval insuperiority, Portugal’s naval record was pretty impressive. With our tiny navy, we took down an Australian heavy cruiser, three Australian light cruisers, a Royal Navy heavy cruiser, and a bunch of transports and destroyer flotillas. This isn’t counting the convoy losses, and their escorts, which we sunk a lot of.

ShipLosses_zpscbae4f0e.jpg

But then, of course, running with the big dogs in a “real” war isn’t easy on a small, underarmed navy. We lost three heavy cruisers, a light cruiser, and a number of destroyers and transports. We lost at least one submarine flotilla too – perhaps two – but I think those aren’t on this list because they were sunk by convoy escorts over a period of time (that can happen, can’t it? – I can’t remember).

It was through all this amazing struggle that, by the end of 1943, Portugal had achieved all this in partnership with Germany, Italy, and the rest of the Axis Powers. Portugal had regained the respect – perhaps fear? – of the world, and had an empire back – larger than she could have likely imagined possible (next update I’ll show you the extent of the Imperio Novo in more detailed images).

VP1943_zps81580494.jpg

Portugal was easily considered more powerful than Imperial Japan, and more than twice as powerful as Imperial Italy. The Soviet Union was still Germany’s big rival, but other than Germany and the USSR, no power around the world could quite be compared to Portugal. The United States, of course, had more potential power, but it was unrealized, and was not yet a military power – only a tremendous economic power (which had not developed, yet, a military industry because they never had reason to develop one – the US had never become mobilized to help defend the British Empire, perhaps because they were not so threatened by evil Germany as by relatively benign Portugal).

Now, many of you have wondered what will happen with this AAR now, and have expressed concern that I not just “drop it” abruptly. I believe I’ve wrapped it up relatively nicely, considering. Obviously, it’s not the conclusion that we all expect from an AAR – total victory, or the end of the game time, etc. But it’s a good stopping place, I think, and I do not – absolutely cannot imagine – continuing from this point. I consider the gameplay for this AAR concluded. My reasoning???

I’ve detailed the reasons in comments previously, but not all of you might have seen them. So I’ll explain here.

1) I’ve had to kick the German AI into gear before, because they had stagnated, and would not have done anything without my intervention.
2) Portugal isn’t the “leader” of the Axis – neither in theory, nor in fact. Germany is still clearly the driving force of the Axis, whether her AI is working or not.
3) Even if Portugal desired to become the leader of the Axis, she is not capable – as detailed above, Portugal’s military is not in any shape to take on a major power like the Soviet Union toe-to-toe. We’d get slaughtered. Our Manpower in late 1943 is 9 – just 9. Before we took over the British Empire, our Manpower had always hovered between 0 and 3. There is no margin for serious casualties.
4) I’d have to license-build everything – my techs are not in any shape to fight, and they’re too far behind to catch up.
5) I don’t anticipate this AI ever deciding to invade the USSR, nor the USSR ever invading Germany. The AI is asleep, and I would have to just take over Germany to continue. And why bother when I have another AAR – Kriegsgefahr – where I’m at war with the USSR (and perhaps another one soon). It’s just not going to work out.
6) I don’t anticipate Japan ever attacking the USA – it would have happened by now.
7) Without a Japanese attack, and/or a “felt need” to get involved in the war against the Axis, I do not anticipate the US ever becoming involved in the war, against the Axis, against Japan, or against the USSR.
8) Frankly, even if I had a desire to continue this game, and a practical way to overcome these obstacles, this old version of the Vanilla game is just too buggy to be fun anymore. I’ve already suffered from that problem – enough that I quit playing for a while during the invasion of Australia, and only picked it up later because I didn’t want it to die.

So… What I’m going to do is lay out a plausible post-war scenario, and offer it as an Appendix to wrap up this game/AAR in a worthy manner. What will happen to the world shaped by Germany and Portugal in this timeline, after the war ends? That will come sometime in the month of April, 2013, I expect – I’m not in a serious hurry.

I’ll also provide a brief geographical update to show the extent of the Portuguese Empire in 1943. That should come in the next week or so.

Sound good? I hope so! I really do share your concerns that Imperio Novo not end abruptly or incompletely. I hope this will serve to avoid that.

In closing, I just want to say I do really appreciate the support and continued interest of so many over the years since August 2009 when I started this, just after the initial release of HOI 3. You’ve supported me and encouraged me, and kept me going, and I really love it. Thank you very much! It’s been a great experience, and I’m sad to see this come to a close.

That said, there are always other projects. I’m going to be starting gameplay and updates again for Kriegsgefahr. I’m also probably going to pick up Locarno again. I will probably even try to complete the gameplay/AAR for The Die is Cast in EU: Rome. I’ve been updating my EU III Sforza!!! in an attempt to complete it – I expect by summer, if not before, it will be done (it’s currently in about 1750). I’ve even started another V2 AAR – Serenity – playing Japan. If you haven’t seen it, please come over to the V2 forum and say hello!

I’ve also got plans for new projects. I’d love to do a US scenario in V2, and a British Empire game. I have had plans for a long time to do a Cold War scenario in HOI 3 (later expansion – which would you recommend, now that TFH has been checked out?). For many years I’ve entertained the idea of doing an EU 3 narrative AAR. I don’t know where my energies and efforts will go, but I can assure you I’m not going away. I hope you’ll come along with me!

Thanks again for everything. We’ll see you around!

Rensslaer

Well, it is understandable you want to finish this ... if we want to be honest, it was palpable your frustration with the German AI inaction that forced you to thinker with it to give is some animation :p . Besides, it looks that the main features of the game course were completely disrupted by your actions ( especially the Japanese wardec to the US or Barbarossa ) and the AI in HoI 3 ( atleast in the version you used for this ), can't find it's own nose without a event that points it out to it :D, so it is not expectable that the game will give you more than a punching bag from now on.

Anyway, it ended well enough as it is. A actual final world map would be nice, but we can live without it. And hopefully we will get to see Locarno again :D

P.S Portugal in English is a genderless noun :p

Last edited: