• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Taking Australia's supply basewill cripple their forces. I suspect that your forces are quite a way away from your supply base and take longer to recover after fights. Whilst the Australian supply base ought to be well defended, the Australians may have committed their combat strength to retaking what you've already taken.

I think bump is in order :D.

Let Rensslaer know we are still here.

I think bump is in order :D.

Let Rensslaer know we are still here.

:D Thank you, Ruunu! Sorry I've been so quiet lately.

I've been working 2 jobs pretty seriously, and today I'm taking on a 3rd job as a freelance reporter. Just keeping very busy.

But I'll be back! I'll finish this one, and my other 2 HOI AARs, and even Sforza (EU III) is within range of being concluded (I'm actually about 5 years from the very end of the gameplay -- yes, the same game I started in 2006).

Thanks for thinking of me!

Renss

Well at least you're working, so that's good! Good luck with finishing your 7 year old EU3 game :p

Rensslaer: the British war in Africa – was near to its close.

an amazing result, that ! !

Rensslaer: You may recall, at the end of the last update, we had engaged the enemy for the first time at Rawlinna, in Australia. .. Gen. Azevedo embarked his garrison troops – the ones brought in to guard the back door at Perth – onto transports for a destination no one was informed of until they were at sea.

what choice do you have, but to live on the knife's edge? :eek:hmy:

Rensslaer: You can also see the dramatic increases in raw materials from year to year. We basically dominate both Oil and Rare Materials production, worldwide.

again, an amazing result ! !

Rensslaer: German bombers, finally, are dominating the skies over Britain. Her submarines besiege the shorelines. .. What could this foretell or portend?

it would be nice if it was a Portugal owned England ! ! :cool:

magnificent updates, my friend ! !

Well at least you're working, so that's good! Good luck with finishing your 7 year old EU3 game :p

Thanks, DoA! Actually, I'm feeling like I'll likely update both that and this one in coming days, here. I've just got an itch again! :D

Rensslaer: the British war in Africa – was near to its close.

an amazing result, that ! !

Rensslaer: You may recall, at the end of the last update, we had engaged the enemy for the first time at Rawlinna, in Australia. .. Gen. Azevedo embarked his garrison troops – the ones brought in to guard the back door at Perth – onto transports for a destination no one was informed of until they were at sea.

what choice do you have, but to live on the knife's edge? :eek:hmy:

Rensslaer: You can also see the dramatic increases in raw materials from year to year. We basically dominate both Oil and Rare Materials production, worldwide.

again, an amazing result ! !

Rensslaer: German bombers, finally, are dominating the skies over Britain. Her submarines besiege the shorelines. .. What could this foretell or portend?

it would be nice if it was a Portugal owned England ! ! :cool:

magnificent updates, my friend ! !

Roy! GREAT to see you again, Old Friend! (that's a Babylon 5 reference, if you don't know...)

Was thinking about you this Christmas - how are you doing?

It's funny you should look this up, just now, because I've been thinking about it alot these last few days. I started reading this other Portugal AAR (Portuguese World Conquest) and it's got me in the mood to get back to this.

The gameplay for Imperio Novo is done, but I've got quite a few more updates left to post. We'll see how soon I can do it.

I'll catch up on any other feedback first.

Oh, and GhostWriter... In case you're just reviewing old "subscribed" threads, I wanted to make sure you knew about perhaps my most fun recent AAR, Kriegsgefahr. Not even near complete (I'll get back to it), but a rollicking fun time is there in the many updates already posted. :)

Rensslaer

Last edited:
Rensslaer: In case you're just reviewing old "subscribed" threads, I wanted to make sure you knew about perhaps my most fun recent AAR, Kriegsgefahr.

oh, i have read it, even into the "second phase" ! ! :cool:

And there was I hoping for an update. Still good to know you're around, Rensslaer. And a happy new year.

:D Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and everybody else!

First, I want to apologize for being absent for 6 months. Now, that’s not completely out of the ordinary for me, but I feel like I should apologize each time I disappear. Just been too busy – got 3 jobs, lots of stuff going on. But I can never stay away, and I have this “thing” about finishing my AARs – I hate leaving one hanging, even if it’s years old. So I’m intending to complete this and my others.

Before we start the regular update, I want to bring you back up to speed. Here is an overall world map of how things stood in September, 1942.

Let’s look at the inset, first, which shows the Caribbean Sea. Portugal now controls the entire Bahamanian chain, the islands of Jamaica and Curacao, and a variety of the Antilles chain. The British retain Anguilla, St. Kitts, Trinidad and Tobago. Everything else has fallen. Note, also, that British Guyana, and Dutch Suriname, are in Portuguese hands. Only the Vichy French enclave of Guiana remains, of that set.

PortugalCompositeSep1942_zps83671c84.jpg

In Africa, large portions of formerly British or French West Africa are now Portuguese colonies. British Nigeria, French Cameroun, French Gabon, parts of the Belgian Congo, and all of South Africa are in Portuguese hands (Angola and Mozambique already being Portuguese). Almost all of British East Africa is now Portuguese, all the way up into Anglo-Egypt Sudan, and most of British Somaliland is under Portuguese control, too. The British Trucial States, on the Persian Gulf, and Kuwait, are Portuguese-controlled, and even a small portion of Aden.

Switching over to the East Indies, you’ll notice almost all of British Malaya, including most of British and Dutch Borneo are Portuguese. Much of the rest of the Dutch East Indian Empire, including Java, Sumatra and Celebes, are Portuguese-controlled. And there has been significant fighting in the jungles of New Guinea and New Britain, in the far east of the map, there. Of course, Hong Kong and Macao are both Portuguese, now, and the little enclave of Saigon in French Indochina.

And, of course, we cannot forget that Portugal also now controls a good chunk of southwestern Australia.

At the last update, we were discussing “rolling the dice.” Australian forces were schooling Portuguese advance forces in the western deserts, and were threatening to reverse the gains made over the last several months. Portugal was fighting a conventional war in Australia, against a country trained and equipped to fight a conventional war. We needed to change the game, somehow.

The 15th Infantry has loaded aboard transports, and is moving east along Australia’s southern coast. Meanwhile, the 2nd Armored Car battalion is hooking north to try to outflank the Australian 23rd Infantry and relieve pressure on our forces in the hills of southwest Australia, where Gen. Machado was forced to retreat from Plumridge on the 16th of October.

16Oct1942ArmorHook_zps45d7d7cd.jpg

Where, you might have been wondering, was this “roll of the dice” to land?

On the 18th, our transports had successfully evaded any Australian naval patrols and 2 brigades of Portuguese infantry began a landing upon the surrounding beaches around Adelaide. This was significantly behind the stagnated lines of combat to the west.

18Oct1942Adelaide_zps7a5b3273.jpg

It was anticipated that Australian army units were occupied, either guarding many of Australia’s port cities, in the east, or along the front lines with Portugal. The gamble was that we would be able to establish another perimeter to the rear of the Aussie lines, and could catch them between two armies, forcing their withdrawal to the north, leaving Portugal in control of the southern coast.

Once Adelaide itself was secure, our transports began the process of “walking” the 15th Division up the coast toward the front lines. However, on the 22nd, this operation was interrupted by the Australian 1st Division, which was apparently en route to the front lines when our new threat appeared. This was exactly what we hoped would not happen!

22Oct1942Adelaide_zpse98e4939.jpg

By the end of October, the 15th Infantry was forced to fall back toward Adelaide. Moreover, the Australian tank cavalry, which previously had defeated the Portuguese 3rd Cavalry, had engaged the 29th Infantry, holding down the south coast. Now, strong forces prevented any envisioned connection between the existing Portuguese lines and what was coming to be known as the “Adelaide Pocket.” In the west, the decision was made to pull back and consolidate the frontier.

26Oct1942SouthCoast_zps7ffe0d02.jpg

Fortunately, we had two things to brighten the picture, though neither was a quick fix. The 1st Motorised Infantry Division was deployed in Lisbon, and as they boarded transports to travel to Australia, also being loaded were some new light howitzers that were now rolling off the line (light artillery advance). That would help our units on the offensive, when we attacked with these upgraded weapons. These things arrived in theatre at the end of November, 1942, along with the heavy cruiser Vila Nova de Gaia.

20Nov1942Reinforcements_zps0b215aa2.jpg

Supply problems continued to hamper efforts to mop up resistance in Somalia and Egypt. British units were trapped there, isolated and without supply, but if the Portuguese commanders could not get reliable supply themselves (partly because these isolated pockets did still have some negative influence on proper transit of Portuguese supplies along the Nile River Valley), they could not maintain continuous or effective pressure against the British. British airpower, mostly in the form of carrier-based planes, complicated things.

The attacks continued, anyway, sometimes setting up battles of attrition neither side benefited from. The only important goal on the Portuguese side was to force the British surrender and free up the supply lines and the troops required to quarantine these spots.

16Oct1942Egypt_zps84805075.jpg

In September, one of the three remaining British divisions in Somaliland had given up, and all attentions were now focused on the two divisions at Burao. Encircled, and out of supply, they could hardly defend themselves. But these were experienced troops, and they weren’t going to give up easily.

Across the Atlantic Ocean, in the Caribbean Sea, the long struggle between Antigua and Anguilla continued. On the 8th of November, the British division was finally forced to retreat from Antigua to St. Kitts.

13Nov1942Antigua_zps2b1b5b9b.jpg

Then, on the 13th, the British were ultimately forced to surrender. Portugal advanced into St. Kitts also, and this little corner of the Caribbean was secured.

And, even as all this striving was going on around the world, neither side ceased to raid each others’ convoys. Now that Portugal held an entire coastline along the Suez Canal, it was possible to send a submarine flotilla through to base at the Italian-held base in Cyprus.

Nov1942Cyprus_zps98ac99a3.jpg

Soon, they were raiding not just shipping, but even warship task forces in the “British Lake” off the coast of Palestine. No serious scores were achieved against them, but the mere fact that Portuguese submarines were facing off against British Royal Navy carriers and battleships was significant.

Also… Aha! Found those South African cruisers I’d thought I’d never see again! They’ve been preying upon our merchant traffic around the Cape of Good Hope.

Nov1942Chita_zps08110860.jpg

Immediately, we re-locate the FW-200 Condor airwing to Durban, where they begin ranging out to find these raiders. The first thing they found were some British transports which were attempting to round the Cape. They scored some hits, there (never did find out what these transports were doing, or carrying). But then, near the end of November, the Condors were finally able to intercept and inflict some damage upon the South African light cruisers.

And before we go, a brief look at how Japan is faring against Nationalist China…

Oct1942China_zps049ab8bd.jpg

Looking at the theatrees of war, Portugal looks over extended. Reinforcements to Australia, when there is still unfinished work to be done in Africa. Not securing the supplies at Alexandria has put a severe crink in Portugal's plans. The italians really hamper the Portuguese - Italia delenda est springs to mind. Thise Condor moments, sorry units, are needed to reduce those divisions at Burao. Just Trindad and Tobago to go in the Carib and you'll be able to use those forces for some other missions.

I think your need for the Australian resources justifies the priority for reinforcements accorded to the front. 1 Heavy cruiser is just asking for the attention of enemy subs. I think I would have sent it after the SA light cruisers. I hope it will receive other heavy cruisers or anti-sub destroyer flotillas soon.

Good update- keeps us on the edge of our seats wondering if the Portuguese shoestring will reach far enough.

These Portuguese are crazy! Nowadays they only think of conquering the world! ;)
Nice update! :)

Thanks, BarrosRodrigues, and Welcome!

For anybody who is impatient with my updating schedule, BarrosRodrigues is posting really, really fast, and it's an interesting game! His is the Portuguese World Conquest AAR, which is really fascinating to read. You should go!

Looking at the theatres of war, Portugal looks over extended. Reinforcements to Australia, when there is still unfinished work to be done in Africa. Not securing the supplies at Alexandria has put a severe crink in Portugal's plans. The italians really hamper the Portuguese - Italia delenda est springs to mind. Thise Condor moments, sorry units, are needed to reduce those divisions at Burao. Just Trindad and Tobago to go in the Carib and you'll be able to use those forces for some other missions.

I think your need for the Australian resources justifies the priority for reinforcements accorded to the front. 1 Heavy cruiser is just asking for the attention of enemy subs. I think I would have sent it after the SA light cruisers. I hope it will receive other heavy cruisers or anti-sub destroyer flotillas soon.

Good update- keeps us on the edge of our seats wondering if the Portuguese shoestring will reach far enough.

Thanks, Chief! Yup, Portugal has been overextended since this all began, but we're managing by hook or by crook! :)

More updates coming. More excitement in Australia, and elsewhere! Thanks for reading.

Anybody new to the AAR? Any lurkers?

Rensslaer

That african supply situation is definitely quite iffy. And Australia is still to be decided, in spite of a good VP hunting could probably do ...

BTW what are your long term goals after Australia ? The rest of the low hanging fruit ( and even Aussie is far of being easy to get ) is not exactly much, and the remaining targets ( UK proper, North America, USSR ) are really hard to get from where you are ...

Thanks, BarrosRodrigues, and Welcome!

For anybody who is impatient with my updating schedule, BarrosRodrigues is posting really, really fast, and it's an interesting game! His is the Portuguese World Conquest AAR, which is really fascinating to read. You should go!

I gotta go get a tissue because I'm already drooling due to so many compliments. ;) Thank you. :D

Hell yeah. Great update.

If it's not too much, maybe you could post picture about how much your Generals have xp? At some point, if possible of course. Would like to know how much they have learned over the years.

I watched this back when this only started, and I've only just come back now.

Great stuff. The manpower issue is troubling me, but I am sure that Portugal can into invincibility.

Hey it's back again! Glad to see you're back. Before I registered I do believe I read all of your AARs and knew when I saw this one was still going I had to come along for the ride! I'm glad I did because Portugals success is quite amazing really!

That african supply situation is definitely quite iffy. And Australia is still to be decided, in spite of a good VP hunting could probably do ...

BTW what are your long term goals after Australia ? The rest of the low hanging fruit ( and even Aussie is far of being easy to get ) is not exactly much, and the remaining targets ( UK proper, North America, USSR ) are really hard to get from where you are ...

I'm fortunate that the African supply is only an annoyance, rather than a matter of life and death. It causes delays in when I can move troops to other theatres, but it doesn't threaten to determine victory or defeat.

To be honest, once Australia is put down (IF Australia is put down), Portugal has no firm strategic goals. It's accomplished what it wanted. From there, it's first and foremost a matter of the Axis winning the war, so Portugal must determine how it can best contribute... something that really is not at all clear at this point. India is a BIG mouthful to swallow -- quite unlike either South Africa or Australia. So where? I'd be curious as to your thoughts.

Great update! Hope that our faithful Fw-200 condor crew is ok :)

Thanks, VonMudra! And Welcome! Our Chita crew is doing well! I may get another fiction update one of these days, but it's contingent on my having time. We'll see...

I gotta go get a tissue because I'm already drooling due to so many compliments. ;) Thank you. :D

lol Good luck in the AARLand Choice voting!

Hell yeah. Great update.

If it's not too much, maybe you could post picture about how much your Generals have xp? At some point, if possible of course. Would like to know how much they have learned over the years.

Ruunu, to be honest I'd never thought about it. So I went back to look. This is what our Generals looked like at the beginning of November, 1942. Keep in mind that this is v1.2, where experience and a lot of things might have been different from a current version of the game.

Nov42Generals_zps034697ff.jpg

I am embarrassed to admit I hadn’t paid any attention to my generals, or getting the right general into the right command, during my game. I had so little to work with in the beginning (where I did, I think, assign generals according to talents), that I figured not much would matter in the long run. I just kept the generals where they were, or where they were assigned automatically when new units were created.

In retrospect (which is useless now – the gameplay is complete), I probably could have made some personnel changes, and derived some marginal improvements in combat performance from moving these guys around. I wonder what that might have done, or how much difference it would have made. Obviously, some of these guys deserved promotion. The whole concept of “promotion” seemed absurd when I started the game, with so few units, and I really never thought to reconsider that opinion.

I've been lurking Ren! You seem to be having a bit of a manpower problem, are your combat divisions still around full strength, or are you having a serious problem?

Welcome, AlHoward! Thanks for saying hello! Actually, believe it or not, my Manpower has been very low since the very beginning, so I'm used to it. Portugal's manpower needs aren't anything like a major power's, so I'm not too worried about it.

I watched this back when this only started, and I've only just come back now.

Great stuff. The manpower issue is troubling me, but I am sure that Portugal can into invincibility.

Thanks, MastahCheef, for sticking with it. This was certainly a fun game, and a fun AAR to write! Glad you're enjoying!

Like I mentioned to AlHoward, I really wasn't very concerned about Manpower -- my needs were relatively small, and when I needed men I had them. My IC wasn't able to build mass numbers of units that would require manpower.

Hey it's back again! Glad to see you're back. Before I registered I do believe I read all of your AARs and knew when I saw this one was still going I had to come along for the ride! I'm glad I did because Portugals success is quite amazing really!

Welcome, Funnyman! Thanks! Glad you've enjoyed my other AARs, too. I've got quite a number of them, in large pagenumbers, so that's alot to read! :D

I'll try to get another update up within the next week. We'll see. Thanks for your feedback! I really appreciate it!

Rensslaer