• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"Hey Mahatma! Share a drink with us!" that was Patel. His forename was Patel and his surname was Patel, a very original name.
"W-What a second, let me finish this glass!" Mahatma replied.
The bar-tender came up to Mahatma and slowly said in his ears, "You've just drank 10 glasses and you're almost 80. It isn't good for your health."
"Ah Shut up Krishna! The Chinese are coming and they are going to kill us all! So let us live whilst we live!"
"Cheers to that." a young man besides Mahatma slurred.
The bartender ignored him, "What if the Chinese don't kill you. What then, you will have a destroyed body."
"Then I will become the greatest sumo wrestler the world has ever seen! That's what." Mahatma began to choke as he finished his sentence.
"A man that will probably be 80 in a sumo wrestling match against men half your age and twice your size, doubt it." Patel from before laughed as he sat down.
"Mahatma Gandhi, the sumo wrestler of India. Here to bring death and destruction to your sumo wrestlers! We will show them!" Gandhi's speech was seriously beginning to slur now.
"You should stop Maha-" the bartender looked worried.
"Give me another glass!" Gandhi asked loudly.
"Sorry what did you say?" the bartender was forced to ask for he could no longer understand what Mahatma was saying.
"Gib meh glaz!" Gandhi roared.
People all around the pub looked up.
"Yeah Krishna give the fella a glass!" an anonymous man shouted.
Reluctantly Krishna filled another glass of beer,"Here but no more from now on or you will be banned from the pub."
Gandhi drank his glass blubbering on about something before he collapsed.

The next day Mahatma was pronounced dead and his wife committed suicide by slitting her throat.

And then adolf became a war hero, respected politician and eventual prime minister before discovering the cure for polio and donating all his vast riches to donkey sanctuaries upon his timely demise. The nation wept and the world mourned.

Meanwhile, ghandi got wasted in a pub and decided to become the greatest sumo wrestler the world had ever seen.

Hey, this is fun!
"Hey Mahatma! Share a drink with us!" that was Patel. His forename was Patel and his surname was Patel, a very original name.
"W-What a second, let me finish this glass!" Mahatma replied.
The bar-tender came up to Mahatma and slowly said in his ears, "You've just drank 10 glasses and you're almost 80. It isn't good for your health."
"Ah Shut up Krishna! The Chinese are coming and they are going to kill us all! So let us live whilst we live!"
"Cheers to that." a young man besides Mahatma slurred.
The bartender ignored him, "What if the Chinese don't kill you. What then, you will have a destroyed body."
"Then I will become the greatest sumo wrestler the world has ever seen! That's what." Mahatma began to choke as he finished his sentence.
"A man that will probably be 80 in a sumo wrestling match against men half your age and twice your size, doubt it." Patel from before laughed as he sat down.
"Mahatma Gandhi, the sumo wrestler of India. Here to bring death and destruction to your sumo wrestlers! We will show them!" Gandhi's speech was seriously beginning to slur now.
"You should stop Maha-" the bartender looked worried.
"Give me another glass!" Gandhi asked loudly.
"Sorry what did you say?" the bartender was forced to ask for he could no longer understand what Mahatma was saying.
"Gib meh glaz!" Gandhi roared.
People all around the pub looked up.
"Yeah Krishna give the fella a glass!" an anonymous man shouted.
Reluctantly Krishna filled another glass of beer,"Here but no more from now on or you will be banned from the pub."
Gandhi drank his glass blubbering on about something before he collapsed.

The next day Mahatma was pronounced dead and his wife committed suicide by slitting her throat.
Okay, I can't resist posting another interlude based in my own AAR.

Meanwhile in the Hohenzollern-dominated universe...

"I feel a disturbance in the universe," said Mohandas Gandhi, Neta of the Indian Raj, for no apparent reason.

He picked up his phone and dialed his Gurapu chief. "Shekha! What's going on?"

"The Ministry of Science has reported some kind of tremor in the fabric of the universe," said Minister Shekha, "It's epicenter is right next to you."

"What?"

"I don't know what to make of it. It's exactly like the one our Angeloi friends reported in Vienna."

He suddenly felt that he was not alone. "Shekha, I'm going to have to call you back."

He put down the phone and turned around, finding that the newcomer was none other than himself, although he was obviously heavily drunk.

"What?" he said.

"Whuh?" sputtered the other Gandhi.

"What?" he repeated.

"Ehhhh...." The duplicate collapsed.

Gandhi picked up the phone. "Hey Shekha, get a Ministry of Science team up here. I've got somebody passed out in front of me and you won't believe who it is."

Well looks like EvilGhandi* has himself a body double for assassination attempts now

Ah my friends, something beautiful has occurred today.

...I wonder what Stalin is doing?

Small spoiler for Stellaris in this post, so, fair warning.
Interlude 4: Civilization
18lq533iuctgbjpg.jpg

Henry 'Arizona' Gruber Jr stood, in the sand, emptying more even more sand from his hat. The last few storms had left Giza more buried than usual, war didn't help. The sun was bright so bright he didn't finish emptying the hat and put it on to shield his eyes.

"Doctor Gruber!" a voice rang out. It was Malik, Arizona's guide.

Arizona didn't answer, and looked back down at the tablet, then to a piece of paper he was holding. The paper was covered and sand now and so he brushed it away.

The Tablet he had found in Thebes and it was in ancient greek, the paper was an except from the original copy of Atalanta Fugiens he had copied from the Copenhagen library. This time the prize was none other than the Philosopher's stone, as Maier the Author of the book. The true riddle of the sphinx was not what it was asking it seemed, but what it held within and Arizona had solved it.

Now he needed to know how to get inside.

"Doctor Gruber!" Malik said again, closer this time.

Arizona turned to face his friend, only for him to stumble past him and into the tablet.

It was going to break, No, not after all this work! he thought, reaching for it.

It was too late, the tablet broke in two, no four pieces.

"God damnit Malik! Can't you see I was busy!"

Malik was of course on the floor, "I'm sorry Doctor Jones, But we need to hide, Some Rebels are coming!"

Arizona let out a long sigh and grabbed the pieces of the tablet, stopping after a moment before looking to his friend "Don't just stand there... Help me!"

The two grabbed the pieces and began to climb the scaffold. The rebels wouldn't know to look on top of the statue, they were probably just looking for something to loot. Little did they know most of the camp had been picked clean already. Everything was gone except the snakes. Snakes Arizona shuddered at the word and remembered opening up a tent when they had first arrived only to see dozens of them, slithering around.

At the top of the Sphinx the Sand was whipping up and into Arizona's face. Down below he could hear talking, not just Egyptian, there was an Breton accent.

Below them sure enough it was the devil himself, T.E Lawrence, yelling curses at the rebels. He had a few men in uniform with him, Blue-Grey in color and quite typically well cleaned and very professional.

"Mossies, I hate these guys" Arizona whispered under his breath.

"I want you to find Doctor Krueger, Alive!"

Mosley's personal spies had been searching the Empire even before the war began for ancient artifacts of power and myth. They had tried to steal the Holy Grail from Rome already, The spear of Longinus, Arizona had beat them too. Now it looked like they wanted the stone.

The Rebels were unloading something from their truck, it looked grey, and heavy almost like a tombstone. Nicholas Flamel's tombstone. Now there was no doubt about it, they were here for the stone. The tablet didn't help much, how would the tombstone be of an-

There was a tapping on his back, and Arizona looked back

"Doctor Gruber, Look" Malik said as he held out a piece of the tablet. There was a white shining gem sticking out of the place where it had broken a large as his fist. That couldn't be the stone though, so what could it be, then it hit him.

"Malik you're a genius"

Arizona said as he yanked the tablet from his friend and then the stone from the tablet. "Its one of the keys inside!, and I think I know where the other one is"

Arizona and Malik waited until nightfall, Lawrence and his group made camp out in front of the Sphinx. Once everyone had gone to sleep Arizona had left the safety of their hiding spot to steal the tombstone.

It was a small camp, Lawrence's group couldn't have numbered more than a dozen. Most of these men were rebels, not the trained mercenaries Lawrence had with him before, times must have been tough with his homeland being turned to dust over a thousand miles away.

The tombstone was just sitting out in the open, so Arizona took it. Only after he had lifted the thing did he realize just how heavy it was, and that one of the guards was walking over.

The guard spotted him immediately, he also no doubt spotted the heavy stone slab that hit him in the face shortly before he could scream.

Arizona continued on, but moving was slow, the tombstone was way too heavy to move alone and swinging it had already hurt his shoulder a bit. There was a sharp foreign yell in Egyptian, no doubt someone finding the body. Arizona drew his pistol, and turned, One man came running out of the camp, a Rebel.

One shot in the chest for him and he went down, desert rags in all.

The one behind him had a Pipe gun and a wild look in his eyes, He got two shots.

The Third one was a big man also with a rifle, He took three shots before going down.

The next two ran forward, one punched him in the gut, which made him lurch forward and conveniently dodge the other who had aimed for his head.

Arizona grabbed the arm of the second man and threw him away, then punched the first square in the face.

The second man didn't go very far at all and swing again, this time hitting Arizona in the chest, and taking the wind clean out of it.

Arizona coughed and held his chest, he saw the next punch and ducked in time, picking up the first man's pistol from the ground and raising it.

Three more shots, and the fourth man fell.

It looked like the rest were either panicking or too afraid to come after him, subtly was gone, so Arizona grabbed one of the rifles and prepared to break the tombstone in half. Then there was a clicking noise and Arizona froze.

"Well well well, Arizona Gruber, so nice of you to join us".

It was Lawrence, and he had his pistol to Malik's head. Malik was still clutching the bright white gem, as if it could save him from a bullet.

"Doctor Gruber, I heard the shots and I ran to"

"Its alright kid, I probably wasn't making it out of this anyway" Arizona replied, twisting his mouth

Other men surrounded them, some rebels some uniformed Mosies. All of them had guns.

"On the contrary, you seem to have solved the riddle of the Sphinx, which means you will open it for us if you want to live"

Hard to argue with that offer, Arizona shrugged, and tossed his rifle away then spat out a quick. "Fine"

It took an hour for the Mosies to clean up their dead and get on to business with the Sphynx, leading them back to where he was earlier, in between the paws below the head. They were quite on edge it seemed, after Arizona took four of them out, though it seemed to be five, since the guardsman he had slammed with the tombstone had not returned to point his gun at them and give threatening looks.

"Alright, The tablet, the Gemstone and our notes are here, So how do we get inside and get the stone"

Arizona smirked, grabbed the tombstone and slammed it over the paw of the Sphinx. There some some yelling, and some people raises their guns as expected, but nobody fired when they saw the second stone, Black just as the first one was white.

Arizona took the second stone and held it up to the torchlight "Two sister, Night and Day" he said as he held them up beside each other, then he handled them to Lawrence "Have your men put one in each eye, be quick we only have till the sun starts to rise"

Lawrence nodded, and his men followed their orders and did as instructed. Soon enough as the sun peaked over the Horizon light bounced between the pyramids, landing on one eye but not the other. There was a rumbling, and more sand fell away from the great statue revealing what was once a door, now an entryway. There was a staircase

"Excellent" Lawrence said as he took a rifle from one of his men, then gestured for another to follow. "Lets go, There could be traps"

As they descended Sandstone became what looked to be a different material entirely, and strange runes had been carved into the walls. It was repeated, over and over again, "What was, will be"

"What is this writing?" Malik asked.

Lawrence noticed first, it was repeated in multiple languages, "Egyptian, Greek, Latin.... Chinese?, Hmph, clearly more proof of our superiority to you dogs"

"That's Japanese" Arizona corrected, and pointed to the opposite wall as he walked "Early Germanic, and those are Nordic Runes"

It was over an hour before things started to get damp. The Torch had since dimmed and what had sounded like wind seemed to be whispering, "What was, Will be" "What will be, Was". What was even stranger was the phrase seemed to grow more recent, one line in Latin read "What has been, will be again"

Finally, and abruptly the staircase stopped, and they found themselves in a circular room. Strange runes had been spread all across the walls in every direction, unfamiliar to any of them.

Then it echo'd again "What was, will be, What will be, Was, What shall be, what shall be was"

Lawrence raises his torch, in the center of the room was a pedestal, emblazoned on it was a Serpent devouring it's own tail, Ouroboros from Myth, and within it a Star of Onyx. The pedestal held what they were there for, a stone that looked like crystallized blood.

Arizona saw the stone, and then looked at the images on the walls. The arcane lines seemed to be speaking but were not making sense. All the lines simply ran across the room without end, until Indiana noticed there was no beginning ever, it was a massive loop crisscrossing hundreds of times and then beginning again. The ceiling had a much larger snake, and the bottom was another collection of endless loops.

"Lawrence, we should leave... Now"

"Not without the Stone, take it, Doctor, Gruber, lets see what traps the ancients laid for those attempting to steal their immortality"

Arizona hesitated, he felt Lawrence's henchman push his rifle into his back, and so he grabbed the stone. The Echo came again, and this time he was sure they all heard it. "What was, Will be" "What will be, Was"

The lines on the walls seemed to shift, which was impossible of course they were carved into solid stone, but shift they did, forming images, figures, events. It looked like a moving picture. Lawrence didn't seem to notice or didn't care, and grabbed the stone, holding it up "With this, Eternal Life, and its in the palm of my hand"

He grabbed his flask and poured it into the pedestal where the stone was now missing, then dunked the stone inside.

His weapon fell, and his hand went to his throat in an instant. He was choking it seemed, that much was clear. Lawrence's henchman ran to his side. The Echo was now a scream WHAT WAS WILL BE WHAT WILL BE WAS. Arizona didn't think, he grabbed the stone but he couldn't help but glance at Lawrence, who was turning blue from lack of breath, and his eyes had turned a bright red, almost glowing red the same color as the stone. The color was gone from his hair as well but still the man was clinging to life. Then the echo came again, and the room began to shake.

"Malik, Run!" Arizona said and in a flash they were both going up the stairs.

There was the sound of a yell, and machinegun fire from below them, Arizona kept running. The Echo kept repeated, almost with every tenth step WHAT WAS WILL BE WHAT WILL BE WAS.

It was pitch black now, running up the stairs was growing harder and this was the fourth time Arizona had fallen onto his face, Malik his sixth. They were trapped, Arizona just knew it, and they would be lost inside the Sphinx, No more lectures at the university of California, no more adventures, no more Mary. He kept on, So did Malik in front of him. The ground behind them they could feel was collapsing into some sort of abyss as they ran out even though they couldn't see it. There was no choice, forward or death.

They saw light, and heard talking. Even if the Mosies were to kill them it'd be a better death than being buried alive or falling to death, so they continued. The tunnel seemed to scream one last time at them WHAT WAS WILL BE WHAT WILL BE WAS as if angry about losing it's prize, or it's prey.

They made it out, but at the top there were no rebels, no Mosies. There were uniforms though, dozens.

A Tank different than anything Arizona had seen before sat looking at the statue, and a shorter man in a black business suit stood, arms crossed, he was looking at them. The suited man looked like an intellectual and had a mouth that looked like he was chewing something but nothing was in it.

"Doctor Gruber I presume, I am Jakob Edelweis Hoover, Head of the Imperial Bureau of Preservation, I've heard quite a bit about you" The man cracked what looked to be a scowl, or smirk it was hard to tell

"The Empress thanks you for your service to the state, we'll ensure your compensated for the stone"

Arizona looked at them coldly "This cannot fall into the wrong hands"

Hoover nodded quietly taking the stone from Arizona's shaking hands as if Arizona had no choice in the matter. "I'll ensure my top men are on it"

Then the government man gestured to the uniforms around him "Such a shame the Axis destroyed yet another priceless monument"

On the Truck ride out of Giza, Arizona heard the thump of a cannon, and the crumbling of stone.

Last edited:
Holy. I have finally finished reading this from the very beginning. Now I have got to say it is fantastic. First AAR I have ever read and I am glad that yours was the first. What's Hitler up to during WW2? Is he fighting for the Annionas or is he just sitting at home or maybe the streets? Also what is your schedule for posting?

Every day to Every other day. Occasionally I might miss a day but for HOI IV i'm fairly determined to get it out quick.

Ah my friends, something beautiful has occurred today.

...I wonder what Stalin is doing?

Perhaps realizing this the remaining soviet leadership had finally proven Stalin's paranoia true and had him arrested and delivered to the Holy Roman Empire alongside terms of peace by mid January 1943.

In Custody, and will likely receive a Trial in Russia for his crimes once the war is over.

Well, this timeline spawned different versions of comic books. Only fitting for "Arizona" to have some differences.

Well, this timeline spawned different versions of comic books. Only fitting for "Arizona" to have some differences.
Wait is this part of a comic book, like Indiana Jones but instead of Indiana he's Arizona?

Arizona Jones Vs James Bond might become a thing now. As well as Booster Gold Vs Superman.

I forgot you had the Holy Grail in Rome already. That'll come in handy sooner rather than later.

Chapter 17: GI Jive
59c7a48ecb5d6ec86ec6aa6d3a7f4b8b.jpg

(Japanese Soldiers standing next to a Lpz.43/Trop shortly before the battle of Beijing, 1943)​

With Empire focused on the middle east and Mongolia it now fell to the remains of the Holy Roman Dominion and it's allies to push the front in Asia. After three years the front along the Manchurian border had been relatively quiet with only minor border skirmishes, The chinese and americans both would make small pushes along the border mainly to test the region around the very important, port arthur where the Imperial and Allied Navy refueled ships patrolling the Northern Yellow Sea.

196000.jpg

(Allied Soldiers advancing South, deeper into enemy territory, 1943)​

Initial resistance on the frontline was stiff but had allowed a breakthrough for Japanese and Manchurian forces to exploit. The Air Force had been specifically forbidden from bombing infrastructure in Northern China for precisely the time when such an advance would come. The Chinese of course had numbers but not the great enough extent it seemed as Combined Japanese, Manchurian and American forces steadily pushed past the border and well into Chinese territory.​

lA0rZSS.jpg

The Allied advance would continue throughout spring until finally arrival at Yellow River had signalled a almost a complete stop in further progress. Destroyed bridges and low supplies from the spring campaign and meant there was no rush to cross the river and the chinese finally had some small break to fortify their positions along the river for the next assault.
cHCjLTf.png

Meanwhile in the South China Sea yamamoto had arrived with the Imperial Fleet. Much of the fleet had been split off since the retaking of the Mediterranean and was set to patrol the Indian Ocean as well as defend the Panama Canal. The pride of the fleet, the Empire's great Super Battleships had stayed, alongside some new Editions, the Sengoku Class Carrier.

(The Kaiju or 'Strange Beast' one of the Holy Roman Empire's first Aircraft Carriers)​

Out of Spite for the class, the Naval leadership had given the new Capital ships Japanese names, a way to divorce themselves from responsibility should they fail. The ships were after all created at Yamamoto's continued request, and had gone through constant redesigns, the Final pair of carriers, the Gaijin and the Kaiju both boasted a design similar to the Continental Union's aircraft carriers, with a completly closed and armored flight deck and large amounts of runway space. The Ship was both longer and wider than the Kaiser Class Super Battleship to construct, This massive size meant that that special dockyards needed to be created in Venetia specifically for the Sengoku before work on the ship could even begin in late 1939.

By the time the Sengoku sisters had arrived however they had already proven their worth as mobile airbases, and had assisted destroyers in defending the Imperial Fleet from submarine attack. Now in the South China Sea, Yamamoto was hopeful that both ships would exceed expectations (Which were fairly low) in managing ground attack operations on targets out of range of Holy Roman Guns.

eOv9vhK.jpg

In the Middle East round the clock bombardment and continued attacks on several key positions had allowed for a breakthrough into Northern Israel and Syria. Similarly in the south Holy Roman and Allied infantry had punched into Arabia. Progress was far too slow for Commands liking however and so Michael Margani, who had been given leave after his successes in the Spanish campaign was called back into service and given command in the middle east with orders to take Baghdad as soon as humanly possible.

cOlz2Uh.jpg

In the Caucuses Herman Richter's fabled armored divisions had been overused and now heavily depleted. Either unaware or uncaring, Command ordered more assaults for the summer, this time with the goal of the Baku oilfields to feed growing tank production as well as to finally deprive the Axis of the last of their major oil suppliers.

ug6AVfR.jpg

In Asia the Chinese continued to a stretch of territory from Beijing to the coastline. Elsewhere the Chinese were still holding the yellow river save for one location near Jinan where several bridges remained intact and allowed an allied crossing. Like any leak this would eventually allow the Americans and Japanese to spill out further south securing a solid foothold south of the river by fall.

jia_flame_throw.jpg

(Californian Troops destroying a pillbox outside of Qingdao)
Fighting on the Yellow Line as it was quickly being called would be some of the bloodiest of the war. The Americans, and Japanese were fresh and had plenty of disposable manpower and the Chinese were becoming ever more entrenched by the day, and were well prepared to die for their homeland and take as many barbarian invaders with them in the process.

The Americans pressed on, and though losses were taken, Bejing fell, followed by the Shandong Peninsula. By November much of the Chinese Yellow Sea coastline was now occupied. Further Inland along the yellow River the Chinese held their ground, inflicting staggering numbers of casualties. With Autumn drawing to a close and the Chinese well entrenched, the advance finally stopped several hundred miles from the Capital at Jiaxing.

gm4r9S3.jpg

With Progress now stopped in China, any hope for a quick finish for the war had slowly evaporated away. The War was now going to get far more bloody, and far more brutal.

Dr. Belloq, if that was a reference to what I think it was.

Wait is this part of a comic book, like Indiana Jones but instead of Indiana he's Arizona?

Indeed, Its a nod to Indiana Jones, I was debating on an interesting way to foreshadow Stellaris a bit, I felt a reference would be more fun to write than some random soldiers stumbling upon something they shouldn't.

I'm currently catching up on the previous parts of this mega-campaign, but well done on taking it this far!

Good to have you back along.

Arizona Jones Vs James Bond might become a thing now. As well as Empire Man Vs Superman.

I forgot you had the Holy Grail in Rome already. That'll come in handy sooner rather than later.

Fixed that for you :p

Ah, you can't catch a break with your various fronts. Every time something is easy for you, another feels like pulling teeth.

Fixed that for you :p

Really has that ring to it, doesn't it? I mean, what kind of self-obsessed nation would you have to be to create a superhero emblazoned with your national flag, named after your country and spouting nationalist propaganda at every turn?

(ah..the answer is almost everyone with a comic book industry it seems.)

Booster-I mean Empire man can certainly make references to Stellaris, being from the future. Or is that different here?

Why did I stop receiving notifications for this? That was a great interlude. Just want to say that I had the same idea for one of my future Kaiserreich AARs, but you probably did it better. And good luck with those Chinese!