• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Drogan

Varangian Guard
69 Badges
Jan 16, 2005
discord.gg
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
How is the Byzantine Empire going function? It has Improved a lot in CK2 recently. Hope it approves upon that and doesnt go back to how it was at CK2 launch basic feudalism.

The devs didn't like how the system was basically feudal plus and want to make a proper imperial government post launch

• 2Like
Reactions:
The devs didn't like how the system was basically feudal plus and want to make a proper imperial government post launch

That's a maybe.

Byzantium is its own beast, and requires a lot of thought to do right. The CK2 solution was not optimal, and we didn't want to repeat what we did there. Just slapping an elective variant on it and renaming its government to 'Imperial' doesn't do it justice, we would want actual mechanics to represent the intricacies of byzantine politics. All I can say at this point is that whenever in the future we choose to deal with Byzantium we will make sure that we do it well.

It is annoying that we are going to have pay extra for a DLC just to play a proper Byzantine Imperial government.

Reactions:
So mod it in or just deal with the structures of feudalism and ignore the difference. It's hardly make-or-break for the Byzantines. We also have no idea what sort of unique events they may have to make up for it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That's a maybe.

It is annoying that we are going to have pay extra for a DLC just to play a proper Byzantine Imperial government.
Its not a maybe, the devs outright stated it in the government dev diary and paying for something good is bettter than them half assing it and ending up with the same mess as CK2

Reactions:
That's a maybe.

You are going to pay for it anyways ... I’m glad they focused on the three govts they did, even as a fan of the ERE. I wouldn’t want to play a proper ERE with Tribal and Clan govts nonexistent. Plus, the Imperial system will need to interact with Feudalism to mimic Byzantine influence in the Levant, for example. To do it right will take time, they shouldn’t take too long though as the Italian peninsula will be a far more interesting place with a functioning ERE.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Its not a maybe, the devs outright stated it in the government dev diary and paying for something good is bettter than them half assing it and ending up with the same mess as CK2

They said whenever in the future they want to do it right. But that is not a confirmation that we will definetly end up with an Imperial government in the game. It remains to be seen if the devs can solve a problem they couldn't for CK2.

You are going to pay for it anyways ... I’m glad they focused on the three govts they did, even as a fan of the ERE. I wouldn’t want to play a proper ERE with Tribal and Clan govts nonexistent. Plus, the Imperial system will need to interact with Feudalism to mimic Byzantine influence in the Levant, for example. To do it right will take time, they shouldn’t take too long though as the Italian peninsula will be a far more interesting place with a functioning ERE.

I know. I just wish we don't have to pay for it in a DLC, and it could have been part of the game upon release. It will rather pay for a Byzantine flavour pack that enhances the Byzantine gameplay, while making Byzantine Imperial government free to any players of CK3.

Reactions:
It's not 100% vanilla feudalism. The devs have alluded to both the HRE and Byzantium having their own variants of elective succession, at least. And with the new Feudal Contract system, they could still differentiate Byzantine lords from feudal lords even without a proper Imperial/Bureaucratic government.
It's not perfect, but I doubt Byzantium will play the same as, say, France or England, even at launch.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's not 100% vanilla feudalism. The devs have alluded to both the HRE and Byzantium having their own variants of elective succession, at least. And with the new Feudal Contract system, they could still differentiate Byzantine lords from feudal lords even without a proper Imperial/Bureaucratic government.
It's not perfect, but I doubt Byzantium will play the same as, say, France or England, even at launch.
Have they really alluded towards that? So far I've only seen confirmation for that the HRE will recieve a unique election succession at launch, I believe.

Reactions:
Have they really alluded towards that? So far I've only seen confirmation for that the HRE will recieve a unique election succession at launch, I believe.
Found the original quote I was thinking of, from the Governments Dev Diary, and in retrospect I may have been reading too much into it.
We also have a number of variants on elective succession, ranging from Feudal Elective, to Princely Elective (HRE succession), and a handful of cultural variants. Each of these have different restrictions on who can vote, who can be elected, and how the AI will select who to vote for.
I was assuming that an Imperial Military Elective would fall under "a handful of cultural variants" as it could more or less be a reskin and minor tweeking of the Princely Elective. But you're right, that's not "Byzantium will have a unique form of succession." My bad.

Found the original quote I was thinking of, from the Governments Dev Diary, and in retrospect I may have been reading too much into it.

I was assuming that an Imperial Military Elective would fall under "a handful of cultural variants" as it could more or less be a reskin and minor tweeking of the Princely Elective. But you're right, that's not "Byzantium will have a unique form of succession." My bad.
No worries, it was not a totally unreasonable assumption to make. They did in fact confirm in a later dev post in that very thread that the Byzantines will NOT get anything unique succession wise at release.
Byzantium is its own beast, and requires a lot of thought to do right. The CK2 solution was not optimal, and we didn't want to repeat what we did there. Just slapping an elective variant on it and renaming its government to 'Imperial' doesn't do it justice, we would want actual mechanics to represent the intricacies of byzantine politics. All I can say at this point is that whenever in the future we choose to deal with Byzantium we will make sure that we do it well.

Last edited:
I at least hope the Porhyrogenetus trait will still be around.

Reactions:

There's no guarantee it will be in the paid DLC part, it could very likely come out in the free patch portion of each cycle.

Reactions:
Hopefully. Although I do not want to raise my hopes, as the devs did lock certain features behind paid DLC content like retinues with CK2.

That's fair. On that note I believe I recall seeing somewhere one of the devs talking about Men at Arms and how they didn't want to have a repeat of Retinues, in that it was DLC locked and a bit too restrictive to build at times. So hopefully the ERE being so pivotal in this time they will follow that thinking and make a proper government free.

Reactions: