• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
After some murmuring over these affairs, Dietrich von Ravensburg stood again:

"Father, Legate of the pope in Rome, I am afraid I am unable to witness the true wisdom of your words. If the republic is abhorred by the Holy church, and thus must be by the Lord, why then do the Hanseatic merchants, that are ruled by a republic if anything, gain such great prosperity? Why are the Republican cities of Italy the wealthiest of the Christian words?

But more importantly, if this is, in fact, the case, it can only by their perversion be that they have gained such wealth. Should then the Empire condemn all Free cities, Leagues and others that are ruled by republics? It would strangle trade, the lifeblood of the Empire. How could it be that a rule that seems so close to the council of the Apostles, be an abomination?

And more importantly, should we understand this as the Pope in Rome declaring all Republicans heretics, or not?"

Von Klambreuch nodded while Dietrich von Ravensburg spoke, after Dietrich ceased to speak von Klambreuch rose and said

"We fully conjur with our friend, I also have a question the His Most August Imperial Majesty and the rest of the Diet. Haven't we agreed that the Empire should remain strictly neutral in the Schzism between Rome and Avignon? Then what to do when one Pope declares a kingdom like the Roman Pope has done? I for one do not think that we should acknoweledge this Duchy of Siena nor that socalled Kingdom of Tuscany..."

Father Grosshaus wanted to add something:

I'm totally in the same opinion than my Friends, if we are neutral we shall stay neutral in all issues and not the ones that interest me we are with one and the ones that doesn't interest we are neutral. Republics can be evil, and I think so, but they are also Imperial Citizens that long ago decided to change their structure but stay being faithfull to the Empire, so we must respect the Imperial People's will, if they want to be Republics they shall be while they are not disloyal or offensive to the Imperial Power, while this Papal Recognizement is, as only the Emperor has the Power to cede titles, and while a Duchy won't be a major problem, but we should see what is the real issue after that, a Kingdom is, as could try to be over the rest of Imperial States, have Special Status and at long time be a problem to Imperial Authority, if we allow this one now, in the future we will have other Imperial Lands becoming Sovereign Kingdoms who won't wanna have anyone over them.

Dietrich von Ravensburg nodded to his fellow delegates and spoke to them:

"My friends, we have received as yet unconfirmed reports of the death of the Roman Pope, Urban. I would bid his delegates to elaborate on the situation, and if possible confirm these reports."

Father Rizzello stood before the Imperial Diet,

Noble Princes and its Most August Majesty, I can confirm reports that His Holiness, Urbanus Sextus has passed from this life unto the next. Pietro Cardinal Tomacelli, the Dean of the College of Cardinals has become the Head of the Papal Regency Council, and Superior Spiritual Leader until the Next Pontiff is elected. As for the discussion on Republicanism, it is hard to define it now, as the absence of a Papa makes it difficult to interperate. It is true that Feudalism is the selected way of governance, but as of now, no Republican will be considered heretical. The last time I addressed this Congress, I specifically stated that the Kingdom of Tuscany would not exist. The Pope reversed his ways, realizing that he overstepped his temporal bounds by making a Kingdom. As for the Duchy, His Holiness of Blessed Memory crowned Gerardino Duke of Siena, and the Papal Council will remain with his decision.

Dietrich nodded at the news, and then made a proposal:

"Fellow delegates of the princes of the Empire, now is the time to act. With only one Pope, it might well be possible to end this horrible schism that is dividing the Holy Mother Church and reforge it in the fires of faith.

If his Imperial Highness could, perhaps, send a letter to both colleges of cardinals and the Pope in Avignon to offer mediation? If it is a success, the prestige of the Empire grows enormously, and if it fails we can at least say that WE tried our very best to end the schism. What do you say, Lords of the Empire?"

Father Joseph Grosshaus took his time and noted after hearing his friend the Representantant of Jülich-Geldre-Berg:

Is sad news to hear of the death of a Pontiff, but that can be good news for Christendom if somehow we would be able to get Roman Cardinals and Avignonese Cardinals and Pope to agreed on someone who should be Heir of Saint Peter, being this one Robert de Geneve, Pope of Avignon or a new Candidacy accepted by him to become Pope in his place, this way we would have once again an only Pope and if the Empire made all the possible movements to achieve it, it will be great for all of us.

Honored Princes. Although it is righteous that you should wish to end this schism, the Cardinals in Rome have already sealed themselves into the Election Room. It is not possible to coorespond with them. In a few days, they will elect a new Pope. There is no possible way to end this session of the Conclave.

The Gelran representative rose

"It seems to me that the Roman leaning Cardinals are unwilling to end the Schzism..."

Outraged at the comment, Father Rizzello stood and spoke,

Sir, that outrageous remark is out of line. We wish for this terrible plague to end and reunite the schismatics back with the Holy Church of Christ. My comment was the truth and you dare to malign the traditions of the church. Since the beginnings of our church, when the Cardinals were made to elect the popes, the proceedings have been in secret and as soon as possible. I ask His Most August Majesty for a demand of reverence when discussing the Holy Mother Church.

"There was finally a chance for this terrible Schzism to end! Do you realise the consequences of the Roman actions? Many poor souls may be killed and doomed for eternity because the Roman Cardinals choose not to contact the Avignonese Faction. Those are the facts Father Rizzello, no more no less..."

The Priest, of Italian Descent and humble origins, looked the Imperial Prince in the eye, and said, without flinching,

Sir, do you question the judgement of the Holy Princes of the Church? They are merely performing their Sacred and Holy Task. It is not their task to seek others for whom they should elect as Pope. They are to elect the man whom they feel is best suited to lead our One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. When the new Pope is elected, we shall see what he does to end this schism. As for now, we are to mourn the loss of Urbanus Sextus of Blessed Memory.

"Perhaps it is about time we got an Avignonese represenative into these halls? It seems very un-neutral of our beloved Empire to favour either faction over the other. In that way, we could more efficiently discuss these matters.

And the facts that you adress, father, while true, indicate oen thing: the Roman cardinals did not choose to negotiate with Avignon before going into conclave, thus missing a grand opportunity. With the servants of Christ united in such quantities, we can hardly believe that was out of negligence, for certainly at least one of them would have thought of it.

Which means, indeed, that the Roman cardinals chose not to act."

The voice of Hungary had long been silent in the halls of the Imperial Diet. This was about to come to an end as a large hungarian delegation arrived in Prague. The delegation was lead by János Garai, which was the brother of the hungarian Palatine.

Recently he had seen the chaos in Poland first hand, and sincerely hoped this would be a safer and more quiet posting. Imperial politics being what they was probably meant that this was not to be though. After entering the Diet itself he presented himself.

"Noble Lords of the Empire. I am János Garai, here to represent Jan of Luxembourg, Duke of Gorlitz, in his capacity as Imperial Prince. As such I also pledge fealty to His August Imperial Majesty."

"Soon His Grace the Duke of Gorlitz shall be crowned King of Hungary, then I shall also have the honor of representing His Grace in that capacity. Until then, and even afterwards, I shall also represent Her Majesty the Queen of Hungary."

The arrival of a delegate of the House of Habsburg was long overdue in the Imperial Diet. And thus Count Hermann of Konradsburg with a small entourage made his appearance before the Diet.

"Fellow Lords of the Empire, I am here to represent the interests of the Duke of Styria, Tyrolia and Carinthia, Leopold III. of Habsburg.

And let me tell you that I concur that the Empire should not meddle in the interior politics of the Holy Church, may it be Avignon or Rome."