• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 14: Norway is a Hot Mess
Chapter 14: Norway is a Hot Mess

9th August 1940

“The Germans have made their landing. Here, in the south close to Oslo, and also in the north, cutting off half the country. They have captured four ports, three in the south, and their advanced landing parties have made headway into the interior.”

“And the main German armies?”

“Are loading up and ready to cross the sea to reinforce, sir.”

Churchill gazed out the window at the quiet streets below. Blackouts had been enforced for several months now, but so far the Luftwaffe had utterly failed to reach anywhere near a major city. Thank God.

“Sir?” The young aide shifted nervously in front of the desk. The Prime Minister had yet to move from the window.

Churchill turned and smiled. “All according to plan.”

…​

In the deep dark lair, of the Nazi Party.

“Gobbels?”

“Yes, mein Fuhrer?”

“I was just thinking about how goddamn awesome I am.”

“Me too, bro. Me too.”

The High Axis Command were feeling pretty good right now. Norway had barely contested the port landings, the Royal Navy was nowhere in sight, and the country seemed primed to fall within a few days.

Of course, that’s when Himmler showed up.

“Oh, fuck off man! You never show your face here unless its bad news.”

“I’m afraid this can’t wait. An entire German army has been destroyed.”

“Yeah, we know. In that fucking horrible little city. Bloody Danes. Never liked their music.”

“No, I mean another German army. And by army, I mean army group.”

“Fucking what, mate!”

“It seems the Brits were just hiding. They had a mobile tank force in Norway that swiftly retook all but one of the ports we captured, and a combined Allied army has encircled our invasion party.”

“Well send the bloody army in to…oh.”

“Indeed. Oh. The Royal Navy was also hiding, and has sunk all our invasion barges. And our ships. And most of the High Fleet.”

“Fuck. What did Rommel say?”

“No idea, he’s dead too. Or captured. One of those. Who gives a toss? The main thing is we’re about to be thrown out of Norway, we have no navy left, and we’ve lost half our entire armed forces trying to take two utterly useless western countries.”

“Wow…even more important that we start Barbarossa ASAP then. We’re going to need that Russian land.”

“Are you not listening? We don’t have any men in the west anymore! The British could be about to navally land themselves!”

“Now really, does that sound like a thing the British would do?”

“No, not really. But then again, we never expected the Norwegian army to fight back either…”

…​

13th October 1940

Winston Churchill smirked as the last group of German soldiers surrendered. They had fought like demons, but eventually lack of supplies and being left to die by their superiors put paid to their spirit.

Norway was fully secure, and now the Allies needed to only wait for the whole rotten edifices of European extremism to collapse.

• 3Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
So Germany has finally witnessed the power of a fully armed and operational British Empire, this can only be a good thing.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So Germany has finally witnessed the power of a fully armed and operational British Empire, this can only be a good thing.
I watched the Norwegian invasion and thought that was that. Two successfully carried out naval landings? Game over.

Turns out the british were presumably just waiting for that to happen, navally landed behind the germans, retook the ports, sank the third and fourth invading armies whilst encircling and crushing the 1st and 2nd.

Total allied loses: 41k
Total axis losses: 200k and the entire German navy.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ah, the quintessential British strategy of "Keep the Isles secure, provide a bit of counterweight here and there, and eventually the Continent will sort itself out." What could go wrong? Certainly not an ambitious Cheesare looking to reestablish Provincia Britannia...

That naval landing - encirclement strategy is very intelligent for an HOI4 computer-controlled nation. Impressive!

Reactions:
Ah, the quintessential British strategy of "Keep the Isles secure, provide a bit of counterweight here and there, and eventually the Continent will sort itself out." What could go wrong? Certainly not an ambitious Cheesare looking to reestablish Provincia Britannia...
It's a very good plan, considering that, even as the PC, I still have to fight the nazis and Soviets if I want to lock down europe. So that's initially going to benefit the UK, who is fighting one of them and hates the other even more...

Whilst a do have cores in the British Isles, its only to the extent of the roman expansion. So England and Wales. Not really worth a huge world war across many many fronts and naval battles I can't win just to get four more provinces.
That naval landing - encirclement strategy is very intelligent for an HOI4 computer-controlled nation. Impressive!
I think that's what happened considering how fast everything was and the British don't have paratroopers. So this seems to be what happened.

But quite a few of my AARs see surprisingly macavellian AI, alongside brain dead examples.

Reactions:
Wait, the AI did something incredibly competent in HoI IV?!

I want a refund. Literally unplayable.
It certainly is very strange, especially as its the allies being competent, against the nazis.

Which I didn't think was allowed in paradox games or indeed on the forums...

• 2Haha
Reactions:
What the hell? The AI did something smart? I WANT PROOF OF IRONMAN!!!!

Nobody questioned how they had all been standing there immobile for many moons, frozen in time whilst the Emperor waited for the author to get back from Law School.
Haha, welcome back.
If he could halt the Nazis there, they would not have the strength to fight the Soviets. If they could not fight the Soviets alone, they would bring in the Italians. And if the Italians were brought in, the two fascist nations would inevitably start fighting each other as soon as communism was destroyed.
A lot of ifs. But then, he had a premonition of what was going to happen, I guess. ;)
But for all that, Norway had to go perfectly as planned.
And then ...
“Me too, bro. Me too.”
Just the thought of someone addressing the pompous git that way is priceless.
The main thing is we’re about to be thrown out of Norway, we have no navy left, and we’ve lost half our entire armed forces trying to take two utterly useless western countries.
Oops.
“Wow…even more important that we start Barbarossa ASAP then. We’re going to need that Russian land.”
Typical Hitler.
Norway was fully secure, and now the Allies needed to only wait for the whole rotten edifices of European extremism to collapse.
An outcome to be devoutly wished for.
Turns out the british were presumably just waiting for that to happen, navally landed behind the germans, retook the ports, sank the third and fourth invading armies whilst encircling and crushing the 1st and 2nd.
Bravo!
It is. One AI’s mistake is the others brilliant ploy!

What the hell? The AI did something smart? I WANT PROOF OF IRONMAN!!!!
Haha, welcome back.

A lot of ifs. But then, he had a premonition of what was going to happen, I guess. ;)

And then ...

Just the thought of someone addressing the pompous git that way is priceless.

Oops.

Typical Hitler.

An outcome to be devoutly wished for.

Bravo!

It is. One AI’s mistake is the others brilliant ploy!
Let us not get too excited. The AI could be really smart, or the brits could have been on the way to Norway, got there just after the germans landed, and then freaked out the german AI enough that the Norwegians managed to pin them while the brits cleaned up the ports.

The germans running smack bang into the Royal navy is really rather par the course so...

In the deep dark lair, of the Nazi Party.

“Gobbels?”

“Yes, mein Fuhrer?”

“I was just thinking about how goddamn awesome I am.”

“Me too, bro. Me too.”
The inner circle of the Nazi Party sound a lot like those interrailing Northern European lads you find prowling the clubs of Europe, always ready to hit you with an over-excited "The girls in here are crazy, man!"

Anyway, now that that thought is safely out of the way…

As has been gasped at multiple times, this British AI is either very competent or incredibly lucky. Churchill must feel supremely vindicated either way. Finally, an adversary worthy of the great Cheesare!

The inner circle of the Nazi Party sound a lot like those interrailing Northern European lads you find prowling the clubs of Europe, always ready to hit you with an over-excited "The girls in here are crazy, man!"
Had to ensure they had no dignity whatsoever.
As has been gasped at multiple times, this British AI is either very competent or incredibly lucky. Churchill must feel supremely vindicated either way. Finally, an adversary worthy of the great Cheesare!
I'm worried about it, but at the same time, I just need to avoid them until they (hopefully) go down the preset of imperial federation. At that point, even if they play perfectly, there is still a 50/50 chance of one certain thing going wrong, and if it does, a near 100% chance of the British rescinding with something that will probably kill them.

Bascially, me and Churchill are both playing a waiting game, him for as long as it takes to get imperial fed (which makes him the strongest man on the planet) and me, waiting for the aftermath of that (which opens up the only vulnerability I can see for me).

There's a long way to go before that happens though, and even if it does, it'll still probably result in a stalemate of a sort (we can take their African empire, the middle east and walk to Asia to take that, but the islands are going to be impossible with the monster navy they'll have).

If the game is played perfectly by both sides, it seems likely that quite a lot of the world will be eventually split between the federation and the empire...

Finally, an adversary worthy of the great Cheesare!
To put another way, we are both playing Diplomacy and bascially allies against everyone else on the board. No one else has realised this yet, and the inevitable stab once the others are dealt with looms large over us both.

To put another way, we are both playing Diplomacy and bascially allies against everyone else on the board. No one else has realised this yet, and the inevitable stab once the others are dealt with looms large over us both.
Yes, this is a good way of thinking about it. There’s a fair amount of mutual interest in play.

Yes, this is a good way of thinking about it. There’s a fair amount of mutual interest in play.
This sounds an awful lot like a Cold War.
We don't really have two conflicting ideologies though. In fact, in practice, the new roman empire and imperial federation are presumably very similar to each other on a foundational level (or at least, the roman empire is going to have to become something akin to the federation if it wants to last a while).

I suspect if this scenario ends up happening, the Imeprial Fed will hold onto the dominions (the ones that voted for it anyway), the UK and the smaller crown colonies (so islands in the Pacific, Atlantic etc). The African and Asian colonies are probably going to be decplonised either by force or consent...quite a bit of the carribean has already been 'sold' to the amercians for war supplies and ships.

Likewise, the Empire is probably going to end up becoming a federation like place with regional councils, governments, parliaments or assemblies....whatever. The central authority is probably very strong, especially in the European half of the empire, but there will probably be tensions in the middle east (unless the province borders and/or method of control in that region is very well designed) regardless.

But saying that, the Romans will also have a bunch more client and puppet states that are part of its 'decolonised league', and probably will start another one in Eastern Europe (because we aren't daft enough to just annex large chunks of the Soviets).

All that to say however, that the roman empire is pretty inward facing by default, looking at itself and the Med, and maybe making sure the client states and trouble regions behave. The British on the other hand are global focused, not just because bits of the federation are everywhere but because its built on global trade, not necessarily nationalism etc.

DensleyBlair probably has the right of it. If a good peace can be entailed and established, it would appear to be a somewhat stable relationship. Getting to that point is going to be the trouble, along with the other major player on the world stage: the amercians. Who, technically speaking, should be in support of imperial federation if it has a democratic mandate, but probably wont like us until we have the same.

That being said, we are no threat to the US and otherwise a huge stabilising influence on the world and the global economy...whereas the british are both a physical threat and direct competitors.

Going to be interesting going forward seeing how this developes (of course, HOI4 can only really show the very beginings of this line of thought but still...).

Chapter 15: Meanwhile, in Italy
Chapter 15: Meanwhile, in Italy

"Guys, we need to get everyone back up to speed on what happened in Italy pronto! There was a huge unregistered timeslip for the Churchill plot last chapter and now the timelines are out of sink."

"Um...okay, hang on. Okay, so how about this. Let's say we just have the cabinet sans Mussolini have a few coffee breaks..."

5th September 1940

“The Hungarians want us to do what?”

Major Catastrophe and Bean-Counter were catching up over coffee in a nice café very far away from the chaos in the Palace.

“They have decided after being at war for several months that now is the time to hold fighter competitions. They are asking for demonstrations from all the major nations of the world.”

Bean-counter sipped his drink. For sure, it made no sense, but fascism rarely did.

“Well,” the army officer said, “I suppose we could send some crews along. We aren’t currently at war with anyone and technically our planes fly alright. It’s mostly our airmen who are terrible.”

“Yes, but given that we’ll be the only ones sending anything, if we do send anything, we’re bound to be picked. Which raises the question, do we wish to arm a nation that very publicly claimed parts of our empire this year?”

“Are we really going to be the only ones there?”

"Well...there are several universally recognised great powers, that everyone knows."

"Yes, the standard list of recognised great powers, that everyone knows."

"Right. Well...the French don't have an air force anymore, or much of anything really."

"Madagascar in 20 years is sure going to be interesting though."

"If by interesting you mean ecologically devastated, yes. So, no French planes."

"I guess the Germans and British won't send any either."

"Yes...the British are currently fighting the Hungarians, and the Luftwaffe is the only branch of the German Armed forces not being decimated by this war. So no planes there either."

"What about the US? They've very publicly said they aren't going to fight anyone, ever again."

"They also said they had an aerospace industry in their government release pamphlet. Clearly they are lying, given that no one on Earth has anything approaching space-worthy vessels, and the Americans have produced exactly zero planes in 4 years of SIM monitoring their factories."

"Um...are you sure we aren't missing any?"

"Quite sure. Their last plane went down with Amelia Earhart."

“The Japanese have planes though. Good ones too, so they claim."

"They do have planes, but no factories. They've been stolen by moonmen."

"Moonmen?"

"Moonmen. The Japanese are working flat-out to replace their loses, but it's taking some time. Especially because they're in the middle of a war of attrition with China. And somehow winning."

"1 million vs 5 million loses is quite...catastrophically apocalyptic."

"Yes, there really should be more fallout from that, but nobody cares because."

"So...either we arm them or the Soviets do."

"Quite. And desperate as the pickings are, I can't quite see the Hungarians picking Russian designed and built planes sold to them by Stalin. Even if they weren't planning on invading the country within the year."

“Well, the army doesn’t care. We’re too busy working on our new medium tank, the M16 Sahariano. It’s a new prototype but shows some promise. In the desert anyway...if we ever fight another desert war. Oh, we’ve also finished work on the new armoured tankette. The Fiat 2800.”

Bean-Counter paused and thought for a moment. “Surely you don’t mean the actual Fiat 2800? That’s just a car.”

“Um…” Major Catastrophe tailed off. “Well…there was a designed and built prototype called the Cingolette, which is an actual tankette which just uses the engine of the Fiat 2800. But…yeah, it sounds like someone got confused and just built loads and loads of cars.”

The pair descended into an awkward silence.

“I won’t tell if you don’t?” Bean-counter offered.

“I think that is for the best.”

…​

7th October 1940

We once again return to the café of chill, located just outside earshot of the Imperial Palace in Rome. Major Catastrophe and Bean-Counter have been joined by Alan, our hero, and Victor Emmanuel III, the former King of Italy, who for some reason is also heir to the throne.

“Churchill is being very…trusting.” Alan said.

SIM had been carefully watching the Gibraltar garrison, as well as a further detachment of British troops on the Rock, as they left their standard posts and took advantage of the military access negotiated between the empires to wander through Spain and France.

“Did they say where they were going? I feel like we should have asked them.” Catastrophe suddenly realised, still a little put-out by the disappointment of his new ‘tankettes’.

“We aren’t sure,” Bean-Counter replied, “but they’ve left the Rock completely undefended. As you say Alan, it is surprising, though I suppose we don’t have any men anywhere near there either.”

“Did you hear about Norway?” the King asked.

“I think the whole world can hear Churchill’s ranting about success and throwing the Germans into the sea and all that,” Bean-Counter said dryly. “Then again, it was a masterful bit of strategy. We are right not to want war with the British, I think.”

“Yes, but the Emperor wants to join in with this damn silly Soviet Invasion!” the King exploded, then shrank back in fear of being expunged.

The rest of the table shrugged. “Meh. Sounds daft to us too, but he’s literally never been wrong and everything he does turns to gold,” Major Catastrophe explained. “Just smile and nod. We only plan to take Ukraine and Crimea. And create some buffer states around the Caspian Sea, if we can. We’re basically just walking across the unsecured bordered, grabbing some stuff and then stopping at some natural defensive lines. If the Germans win, we keep our swag. If not, I doubt the Russian’s will want to fight the entire Roman Empire. We’ll probably just go back to pre-war borders.”

“What about this tri-partite pact?” the King said, throwing down a newspaper with the Japanese offer emblazoned all over it. “Are we really going to sign up with a people who’ve been gleefully fighting the Great War again, at the cost of over 5 million Chinese and 1 million of their own men?”

“I really don’t want to sign,” Alan agreed. “The Japanese have framed it as the global community becoming ‘increasingly hostile to our efforts’. And yet, we have completed our Empire, and everyone is happy. The Germans on the other hand are perennial losers, declaring war on most of the world and losing. Japan meanwhile is trying to depopulate Asia and doing a fair job at it. Why on earth would we want to be associated with these people?”

“Because if Russia attacks any one of us, the other two join in.” Catastrophe said, grimly.

“Why on earth would Stalin attack us?”

“You think he won’t? Like it or not, Hitler copied our political idea and has been ramming down Russia’s throat for years. If he declares war on global bolshevism, with the Axis behind him, Stalin will probably declare war on fascism. After all, we are planning on invading the Soviet Union at some point, even if not quite when the German one starts.”

“I suppose…so long as it is purely defensive. SIM is reporting that Japan is even now planning to ‘strike south’, whatever that means, even as they are deadlocked in China. I will not have this Empire fight Russia and the rest of the great powers at the same time!”

The group collapsed into silence.

“Well, we are going to be fighting the Russians soon. Though presumably not this year. We’re about to enter winter after all…”

…​

13th December 1940

Germany declares war on the Soviet Union.

…​

15th December 1940

“Oh fucking hell!”

• 4Like
Reactions:
“Well, we are going to be fighting the Russians soon. Though presumably not this year. We’re about to enter winter after all…”

…​
13th December 1940
Germany declares war on the Soviet Union.
Hitler being Hitler, as always.

Reactions:
Hitler being Hitler, as always.
I thought I had a lot longer. Germany had just finished researching invade France, and had just taken Denmark and lost Norway. So I was actually starting to think we'd see Hitler fight me first, before Russia. Which would have been interesting, given that Germany had a much larger and better army than me at that point, but had just lost some of it in Norway, didn't have a navy anymore and could at any time be invaded by Churchill or Stalin.

I'm glad they didn't do that though, because I never would have had a cleaner shot at Russia than right then, before they'd started really deploying many troops out east to cover their huge borders with me. At the same time, my tank army is not ready yet, and the my infantry are only just starting to get their...um...cars. So we'll be walking into Russia.

As it stands, Poland and the surrounding area is going to be bloody for all three of us, and the border with Afghanistan is incredibly mountainous and has some Russian troops in it and Mongolian armies possibly nearby. Inbetween those two front however is the Turkish and Romanian borders, which are lightly held if at all so might be my way in. Then I can get the oil, find a river and hunker down, and hope the other two kill each other.

At least the aI moving troops through my lands means the UK won't be delcaring on me anytime soon...

Oh, we’ve also finished work on the new armoured tankette. The Fiat 2800.”

Bean-Counter paused and thought for a moment. “Surely you don’t mean the actual Fiat 2800? That’s just a car.”

“Um…” Major Catastrophe tailed off. “Well…there was a designed and built prototype called the Cingolette, which is an actual tankette which just uses the engine of the Fiat 2800. But…yeah, it sounds like someone got confused and just built loads and loads of cars.”
It's quite likely that the steel on the Fiat 2800's chassis was about as thick as the 'armour' on most Italian tankettes, certainly it would be as effective, and light tanks were supposed to be for reconnaissance not actually fighting so arguably don't really need a main gun as it just distracts the crew. Plus it's got a bigger engine than most of their tanks ever had so will be a lot faster. On that basis this is not actually a terrible decision for Italy.

On the other hand, delightful to see Hitler continuing to make genuinely terrible decision.

At least the aI moving troops through my lands means the UK won't be delcaring on me anytime soon...
Yes, because Paradox AIs are famed for their sense and strategic judgement.