Imperator to CKII Converter - Development Thread (not for troubleshooting)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
When I started working on the converter, I didn't know that the province mapping tool existed, so I mapped the provinces by hand and designed the converter to use a custom province conversion format, with each Imperator:Rome province being on a separate line of text, next to the CK II province that it maps to, like this:

Unfortunately, that is completely incompatible with the format output by the province mapping tool, which does the opposite by putting every CK II province on it's own line, followed on that line by every Imperator province that is mapped to it. Changing over to the new format would require a substantial rewrite of the entire converter, but because the province mapping tool is much easier and quicker to use then doing it by hand, I've created a format converter method within the Processing class that will read the mappings made with the tool, convert them to the format used by the converter, and print them out to a new file. Then the method will read the original province mappings made without the tool, and copy them into the new file, creating a single combined province mapping file that the converter will be able to read.

provinceConversionCore.txt are the original mappings, provinceConversion2.txt are the mappings in the format made with the province mapping tool, and provinceConversion.txt is the combined file that is read by the converter.

The province mapping tool has significantly sped up province mapping, doing in 1 hour what would take 6 in doing by hand. I've been able to map out all of Germania, Scandinavia, Belgia, Iberia, and North Africa within 2 days of my spare time. If the rest of the province mappings go this smoothly, everything should be able to be mapped out in a week. Here are glorious screenshots of the newly mapped areas:

Countries in 450 AUC:

20201015120809_1.jpg

Religions in 450 AUC:

20201015120830_1.jpg

Cultures in 450 AUC:

20201015120839_1.jpg

Attachments

• provinceConversionCore.txt
    23,5 KB · Views: 0
  • provinceConversion2.txt
    35 KB · Views: 0
  • provinceConversion.txt
    34,7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Apart from those added in the 2.0 update released yesterday, all provinces in Imperator:Rome have been mapped out, along with every culture and religion. Regions outside of what occur in Imperator:Rome, such as Russia and Sub-Saharan Africa, are yet to be mapped out and for the time being will start out as independent counties, although in the future the historical entities that existed in these regions at 100 AD will be fully recreated and output with every mod, similar to the CK II -> EU IV converter with East Asia.

Countries in Imperator:Rome 2.0's start date:
20210217111930_1.jpg

Religions in Imperator:Rome 2.0's start date:

20210217111946_1.jpg

Cultures in Imperator:Rome 2.0's start date:

20210217111938_1.jpg

Subjects are now converted as vassal duchy titles underneath the overlord. The vassals won't have their governorships converted, and will be converted as a single title. Tributaries are currently converted as vassals as well, but in later updates will be converted as CK II tributaries which pay tribute and cannot be called into wars.

As an example, here are the Seleukid Empire and their vassals, with their satrapy subjects of Bactria and Arachosia being equal to governorship duchies such as Seleukid Persis:

Seleukid Empire Overview:

20210217112111_1.jpg

Seleukid Vassals:

20210217112116_1.jpg

And here is another example with Egypt, which starts out with the small client state of Dodekaschoinos:

Egypt Overview:

20210217112033_1.jpg

Egyptian Vassals:

20210217112039_1.jpg

Despite the massive changes in 2.0, the converter is fully compatible with the update along with saves from versions 1.3+, although newly added provinces need to be mapped. No flags are converted as of yet, but it is playable in it's current state

• 3Love
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Apart from those added in the 2.0 update released yesterday, all provinces in Imperator:Rome have been mapped out, along with every culture and religion. Regions outside of what occur in Imperator:Rome, such as Russia and Sub-Saharan Africa, are yet to be mapped out and for the time being will start out as independent counties, although in the future the historical entities that existed in these regions at 100 AD will be fully recreated and output with every mod, similar to the CK II -> EU IV converter with East Asia.

Countries in Imperator:Rome 2.0's start date:
View attachment 683066

Religions in Imperator:Rome 2.0's start date:

View attachment 683084

Cultures in Imperator:Rome 2.0's start date:

View attachment 683085

Subjects are now converted as vassal duchy titles underneath the overlord. The vassals won't have their governorships converted, and will be converted as a single title. Tributaries are currently converted as vassals as well, but in later updates will be converted as CK II tributaries which pay tribute and cannot be called into wars.

As an example, here are the Seleukid Empire and their vassals, with their satrapy subjects of Bactria and Arachosia being equal to governorship duchies such as Seleukid Persis:

Seleukid Empire Overview:

View attachment 683087

Seleukid Vassals:

View attachment 683088

And here is another example with Egypt, which starts out with the small client state of Dodekaschoinos:

Egypt Overview:

View attachment 683092

Egyptian Vassals:

View attachment 683093

Despite the massive changes in 2.0, the converter is fully compatible with the update along with saves from versions 1.3+, although newly added provinces need to be mapped. No flags are converted as of yet, but it is playable in it's current state
Looks awesome.
One question though, won't uncolonized provinces cause issues in CK2?
I imagine the easiest solution would be to convert them as independent counties.

Looks awesome.
One question though, won't uncolonized provinces cause issues in CK2?
I imagine the easiest solution would be to convert them as independent counties.
Thank you, and that's exactly how they're handled. If a province is uncolonized, a dynamically generated tribe at duchy tier will be generated there, taking the name of the province. Currently the color of these generated tribes are black-gray (R 40 G 40 B 40) for convenient testing, but I'll likely give them a random color later on.

The ruler that's generated is always a 30 year old male with the name of "Glorious_Debug" until I figure out a better way at generating appropriate names, and the dynasty of that ruler is "of (province name)." The ruler takes the culture and religion of the province.

Here's an example of the province of Connacht, which was uncolonized in Imperator:Rome and was converted as the independent duchy of Connacht. The ruler is Glorious_Debug of Connacht, who is Irish culture and follows the Druidic faith

20210218193403_1.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Thank you, and that's exactly how they're handled. If a province is uncolonized, a dynamically generated tribe at duchy tier will be generated there, taking the name of the province. Currently the color of these generated tribes are black-gray (R 40 G 40 B 40) for convenient testing, but I'll likely give them a random color later on.

The ruler that's generated is always a 30 year old male with the name of "Glorious_Debug" until I figure out a better way at generating appropriate names, and the dynasty of that ruler is "of (province name)." The ruler takes the culture and religion of the province.

Here's an example of the province of Connacht, which was uncolonized in Imperator:Rome and was converted as the independent duchy of Connacht. The ruler is Glorious_Debug of Connacht, who is Irish culture and follows the Druidic faith

View attachment 683150
Ah, I see.
It was the color that confused me, made think it was uncolonized.
All's well and good then, fantastic work there.

And long live Glorious_Debug!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Feel sort of silly about this, but I can't seem to find the exe file in the master converter.
There's nothing released here yet, so there's no exe to find.

Is the converter here still the one being used? If so, is it up to date?
Tried running my save through it and got an error.
View attachment 687380

It is a 2.0 save, but as far as regions go, that shouldn't give an error, just not account for new provinces, right?
Tried with an uncompressed save.

It's not, sorry. We're hoping to have an initial release before long.

Reactions:
Awesome, now i have a reason to play Imperator once the converter is ready :p

Will be this compatible with the rest of the converters?

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's not, sorry. We're hoping to have an initial release before long.
I see, eagerly awaiting :)
I'd be willing to test conversions from my save games even on uncompiled builds as well, if the git repository was up to date with latest development (or anything that runs really).

Awesome, now i have a reason to play Imperator once the converter is ready :p

Will be this compatible with the rest of the converters?
Indeed, fully compatible. Before the converter has it's official initial release, all cultures and religions added by this converter will be compatible with EU IV, Victoria II, and Hearts of Iron IV.

Is the converter here still the one being used? If so, is it up to date?
Tried running my save through it and got an error.
View attachment 687380

It is a 2.0 save, but as far as regions go, that shouldn't give an error, just not account for new provinces, right?
Tried with an uncompressed save.

The pre-release version you're using is slightly outdated, my fork of the pre-release version on Github is fully compatible with 2.0 and includes the subject conversion https://github.com/DrDudelsack/ImperatorToCk2

• 2Like
Reactions:
The current development build is compatible with

Indeed, fully compatible. Before the converter has it's official initial release, all cultures and religions added by this converter will be compatible with EU IV, Victoria II, and Hearts of Iron IV.

The pre-release version you're using is slightly outdated, my fork of the pre-release version on Github is fully compatible with 2.0 and includes the subject conversion https://github.com/DrDudelsack/ImperatorToCk2
Ah, thank you, will be downloading it as soon as I get home.

I just caught up with this thread after recently buying Imperator.

Glancing at the repo, it seems that you are more than half way to re-implementing the converters in Java. That's a colossal effort and a great achievement! It deserves a lot more love than it's had in this thread so far. Those converters have been built up over many years. Thank you so much for your efforts and I look forward to using the converter when you're done (and if I ever finish my first game!).

EDIT: Looking at lines 42-54 of Main.java, it seems that the converter is currently hardcoded to Windows though. :( I guess you developed a converter that works on your own system and converts your own games, which is totally understandable. Given that this effectively a new project, its still in its very early days. Hopefully we can get it to work on other systems too though. I have no experience of Java but being cross-platform is supposed to be one of its strengths so this should be doable.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I just caught up with this thread after recently buying Imperator.

Glancing at the repo, it seems that you are more than half way to re-implementing the converters in Java. That's a colossal effort and a great achievement! It deserves a lot more love than it's had in this thread so far. Those converters have been built up over many years. Thank you so much for your efforts and I look forward to using the converter when you're done (and if I ever finish my first game!).

EDIT: Looking at lines 42-54 of Main.java, it seems that the converter is currently hardcoded to Windows though. :( I guess you developed a converter that works on your own system and converts your own games, which is totally understandable. Given that this effectively a new project, its still in its very early days. Hopefully we can get it to work on other systems too though. I have no experience of Java but being cross-platform is supposed to be one of its strengths so this should be doable.
Thank you, but it's just for this converter, the other converters'll remain in C++, although for this converter there's still much work left to go, lol. Now that the programming core is finished, the actual modding begins: the historical entities which were outside I:R's map have to be recreated, the new religions need to be fleshed out, and all of the events to simulate the time period from 100 to 769 AD have to be created, such as the spread of Christianity, Barbaric invasions, and the rise of Islam.

The converter is technically hardcoded to Windows versions at the moment, but it's only a temporary solution for convenient testing until the converter is linked with the Fronter GUI the other converters use. When it releases, it'll be compatible with other operating systems as well.

Good luck with finishing your first game!

@Dr. Dudelsack It seems to be missing a file called "CharText.txt", which I can't seem to find in any folder.

View attachment 687705
Thank you for reminding me about that, it was an early test I didn't upload the files to and forgot to remove in the code that does not impact gameplay. If you comment out the line on your end, the converter should work. I'll go ahead and purge all references to it in the next pull request I do on Github

Reactions:
Thank you mate, it worked beautifully.
Fantastic work there, tomorrow I'll play around with the game a bit more.
Here's a screenshot:
20210302010823_1.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Just wanted to say I very eagerly await this. The CK3 converter is great fun but CK3 as a game just doesn't grip me the way CK2 does and I'd much prefer to convert games to it.

• 2Like
Reactions: