• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Idhrendur

Keeper of the Converters
108 Badges
Feb 27, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Sengoku
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • March of the Eagles
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
Excited at the thought of this converter? Looking to join the team? Or have some ideas for us to improve it? This is the place for you!

----------------
Links

Release Thread

----------------

Types of help needed
  • Programmers: we can always use more programmers. The converter itself is in C++, and the tools that go with it are in C#.
  • Map-staring experts: we do our best, but its likely there's a region you know well and can improve the mappings for.
  • Testers: Catching bugs and oddities earlier means they get fixed earlier. We automatically update the development release with all new work, so it's always worth checking. And if you have professional experience in testing, well, I'm sure we could be doing things far better. Tell me how!
  • Modders: We can always use help figuring out how things work, and how we can do them better. If you know how to mod EU4, we can use your help figuring it out. As well, there's always more room for flavor events, decisions, and the like.
  • Everyone: We can always handle more discussion on how things are converted. As well, I try to document implemented items over on the project wiki. And your encouragement helps more than you know!

• 5Like
Reactions:
I figure I should ask about the elephant in the room, what is the plan to fill in the nine centuries separating Imperator and CK3?

Reactions:
I figure I should ask about the elephant in the room, what is the plan to fill in the nine centuries separating Imperator and CK3?
Understandable concern :p
The plan is to extend Imperator with this mod: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...rome-to-crusader-kings-iii-extension.1310462/ (which also needs quite a lot of development). Then there are multiple options:
We need to evaluate the options and choose the one we should officially support. However, the converter configurables and output mod are moddable, so this won't be the only option. :)

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
The plan is to extend Imperator with this mod: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...rome-to-crusader-kings-iii-extension.1310462/ (which also needs quite a lot of development). Then there are multiple options:
We need to evaluate the options and choose the one we should officially support. However, the converter configurables and output mod are moddable, so this won't be the only option. :)
Nice, your mod was the first thing that came to mind, so it's great to see it on the table here.

Reactions:
Another question: is there a plan to address republics?
Unlike in CK2, in CK3 they aren't playable at all (yet), so even the simple, though not 100% ideal, conversion to MRs isn't possible.
As the titular nation of Imperator is one, and changing to a monarchy isn't exactly trivial, I'd say it's an important point to address.

Reactions:
Another question: is there a plan to address republics?
Unlike in CK2, in CK3 they aren't playable at all (yet), so even the simple, though not 100% ideal, conversion to MRs isn't possible.
As the titular nation of Imperator is one, and changing to a monarchy isn't exactly trivial, I'd say it's an important point to address.
Making republics playable is beyond the scope of the initial converter release, and it will probably be done by a DLC. For now the Imperator republics will be converted to the unplayable CK3 republics, so it's probably a good idea to make your country a monarchy before conversion.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Making republics playable is beyond the scope of the initial converter release, and it will probably be done by a DLC. For now the Imperator republics will be converted to the unplayable CK3 republics, so it's probably a good idea to make your country a monarchy before conversion.
I see, fair enough.

It would be interesting to have a "The Messia is come" flag, that would come -in game- with its lots of flavour events, in order to dynamically convert AVC years to AD years in CK3: e.g. If the messia only arrive in 800 AVC in one I:R game, then characters born in 800 AVC in that I:R game are converted being born in 1 AD in the CK3 converted game. (The actual calculation might be a bit more complex, taking account of his age and of perhaps also of a small random value, but you get the idea).

In my humble opinion, the best transition date between Imperator: Rome and Crusader Kings should be a dynamic date: A major event should invit to convert to CK3 at the moment when the prophet of the last Abrahamic revealed religion is here! (the exact moment of conversion might be at the moment of his death). When the Mediterranean World see two monotheistic revealed religion fight for mankind conversion, we indeed enter into the realm of Crusader King, aren't we? Historically the prophet of the last Abrahamic revealed religion was Muhammad, who died in 1385 AVC (632 AD), but it could dynamically happen sooner or later, when conditions meet, in an I:R game.
That might also offer, like for the Christ, flavourful and significant set of events.

Reactions:
Would it be possible to have an option to convert the game from the original imperator end date but leave character ages and such (if that’s being converted) the same? I feel like adding several hundred years to the imperator timeline would cause a lot of issues for gameplay, so it might be good to have an option to just ignore the missing years?

I think converting to WTWSMS makes the most sense, as Imperator would become a boring blob fest up to 867 and WTWSMS will presumably have already made the areas outside of IR fairly realistic

• 2Like
Reactions:
Yeah, We need some major way to break up Large empires. I already assumed migration cassus bellis, such as the one the Magyars have in CK3, but also successor states would be cool. Taking on the culture of the empire, kind've like the byzantines. No matter what, when converting we need to have some way to massively weaken and fragment states.

Excited at the thought of this converter? Looking to join the team? Or have some ideas for us to improve it? This is the place for you!

----------------
Links

Release Thread

----------------

Types of help needed
  • Programmers: we can always use more programmers. The converter itself is in C++, and the tools that go with it are in C#.
  • Map-staring experts: we do our best, but its likely there's a region you know well and can improve the mappings for.
  • Testers: Catching bugs and oddities earlier means they get fixed earlier. We automatically update the development release with all new work, so it's always worth checking. And if you have professional experience in testing, well, I'm sure we could be doing things far better. Tell me how!
  • Modders: We can always use help figuring out how things work, and how we can do them better. If you know how to mod EU4, we can use your help figuring it out. As well, there's always more room for flavor events, decisions, and the like.
  • Everyone: We can always handle more discussion on how things are converted. As well, I try to document implemented items over on the project wiki. And your encouragement helps more than you know!
would save games help at all, if so, what mods should I use, how far should I go?

It would be interesting to have a "The Messia is come" flag, that would come -in game- with its lots of flavour events, in order to dynamically convert AVC years to AD years in CK3: e.g. If the messia only arrive in 800 AVC in one I:R game, then characters born in 800 AVC in that I:R game are converted being born in 1 AD in the CK3 converted game. (The actual calculation might be a bit more complex, taking account of his age and of perhaps also of a small random value, but you get the idea).

In my humble opinion, the best transition date between Imperator: Rome and Crusader Kings should be a dynamic date: A major event should invit to convert to CK3 at the moment when the prophet of the last Abrahamic revealed religion is here! (the exact moment of conversion might be at the moment of his death). When the Mediterranean World see two monotheistic revealed religion fight for mankind conversion, we indeed enter into the realm of Crusader King, aren't we? Historically the prophet of the last Abrahamic revealed religion was Muhammad, who died in 1385 AVC (632 AD), but it could dynamically happen sooner or later, when conditions meet, in an I:R game.
That might also offer, like for the Christ, flavourful and significant set of events.
Dynamic start of AD era would require every relevant date used in CK3 files to be changed, not likely to happen.
Would it be possible to have an option to convert the game from the original imperator end date but leave character ages and such (if that’s being converted) the same? I feel like adding several hundred years to the imperator timeline would cause a lot of issues for gameplay, so it might be good to have an option to just ignore the missing years?
Yes, such option will probably be added.
would save games help at all, if so, what mods should I use, how far should I go?
Saves are indeed helpful, but preferably with no mods that change map, cultures or religions. Date is not very important.

Dynamic start of AD era would require every relevant date used in CK3 files to be changed, not likely to happen.

Why would it require that?

In fact, dynamic start of AD era would rather require every AVC era date used in I:R save game to be dynamically converted to an AD era date (every AVC era date would had to be converted anyway, but that would no longer be a static conversion).
It change absolutely nothing to AD era date in CK2 who stay the same (as they are already AD era)...

Last edited:
Now that the CK3 to EU4 converter has a functioning, public converter available, will the development of this speed up? Now that I know this is happening, I have a weird feeling of incompletion when i start a megacampaign in ck3...

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
here is a save game, if you manage to convert it, it would be cool to see the result.

There are lots of characters with families that don't have definitions, maybe the game prunes the dead families but keeps references to them in dead characters. Also, what is the mod you had activated?

1602442541321.png
1602442188438.png
1602442565516.png
1602442277760.png

1602442592488.png
1602442303376.png

Last edited:
  • 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions: