Imperator - Sunday Morning Design Corner - May 5th 2019

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This, I think. It's been the same with other releases, and even other DLCs. You shouldn't take it personally.

I always do.

Bad) Pop promotion:
This isn't really a choice at all. You need citizens for trade income and research. You need Freemen for manpower. If you don't have enough of either you need to stop spending and promote. There are no realistic aternatives, so this is not a choice. Low decision-making and mostly waiting. This is the worst part about the resource-system. Plus, doing it is unpleasant. Clicking a few dozen times on the map, until the green goes away or you run out of clicking points, that's not a fun mechanic.
Actually I need more slaves for the cash most of the time...

I think the barebones feel in part lies in every country feeling exactly the same. There's nothing special about any of them where as in EUIV many of the starts are very different from each other.

And what is the difference you like between lets say Saxony and Aragon in EU4 that you can't find between Tartessos and Suionia in Imperator?

I'm genuinely curious.

My main issue with the ''mana'' system is that Sun mana is basically worthless while scroll mana is used constantly for almost everything (including, confusingly, bribes), and that your ''mana'' output is entirely RNG. Advisors like in EU4 really should be a thing, in my view. Relying entirely on the rulers is why we get wierd stuff like 100 years ahead of tech germanic minors; advisors would also be an use for money; i've found that lategame money is not a problem whatsoever. And speaking of money, buildings do need an effect, i agree, but the current ones besides forts barely have any impact unless you build them in some truly massive cities, and worse, we cant really tell their effects by the macro builder like in EU4.

No, I don't believe game rules are good, especially not in games that rely on a good AI.

I hope you are not implying what it sounds like you are implying. The CK2 team worked hard on their AI, and on their game rules, and said AI has to deal with a great many game systems; as did the HoI4 team in their game rules. Gotta say you have kinda lost me in this comment, and i hope i'm just reading it wrong somehow.

Reactions:
I always do.

Well I'm really enjoying the game and I'm grateful for the work that you and the team put in. But I would like to know if you will be restoring the higher scaling options in the hotfix for "Demetrius", since their removal makes it near impossible to play on the lower resolutions that the game supports. That's why I've currently reverted back to 1.0.

From what I've seen, people are not comparing Imperator: Rome to EU: Rome, they are comparing it to a fully DLC'd up version of EU4.

Which is a bit awkward, considering its not a sequel to eu4.

Ok thanks for the response but the game over for civil war is moddable or it's hardcoded?

It works the same as losing you last city in any other war.

Once you've turned your desired empire into a cultural and religious hegemon, there is no more threat of disruption. Once you know the tricks to stabilizing your empire, that is pretty much it. You have a fascinating system for tearing empires apart, but not everyone is going to grind through the game as it is to experience that..

Thats the main problem.

Which is a bit awkward, considering its not a sequel to eu4.

But eu4 is the alternative game I could play right now. What eu:rome did or didn't do doesn't really matter in 2019.

edit:
Actually I need more slaves for the cash most of the time...
I play in Germania/Gaul so there are tons of tribesmen to clean up. But I get that this point may look different depoending on your first game.

Reactions:
I hope you are not implying what it sounds like you are implying. The CK2 team worked hard on their AI, and on their game rules, and said AI has to deal with a great many game systems; as did the HoI4 team in their game rules. Gotta say you have kinda lost me in this comment, and i hope i'm just reading it wrong somehow.
I'm also very disappointed about that.
It works the same as losing you last city in any other war.
Ok,thanks for the response.

Good) Inventions:
I'm unlocking newer ones at a much faster pace then I can buy them. So I have to think about which ones I really want. Further I have to make a decision on how many inventions to get vs how much laurel points to sink into trade and colonization. And with the speed of gain this is a thing that comes up every few in-game years. You make meaningful choices and you have to think about opportunity costs. You also just have to do it once in a while, so there is no spam. This works well for me.

I agree with this, but I had a discussion with someone who absolutely hated inventions and was crying that the game didn't have EU4's tech system. I absolutely love inventions. You can't please everyone!

Perhaps focuses that move to maximize certain pops? One for each pop type? It might help the AI.

You can't make them too strong otherwise they're a no brainer, why would you use the increased manpower policy if you can just make more freemen? There needs to be some balance while also giving the player the ability to broadly shape the makeup of their provinces without resorting to manual promotions.

My main gripes about the game, in detail

Bare bones. There are some crucial aspect of EU4 and CK2 missing, which are the games I find Imperator most comparable to, that made those two games so enjoyable.

It is much harder to expand in EU4 compared to imperator, in part due to the fractured political landscape of Imperator and in part due to weak resistance from outside. Military blocks don't last as long in imperator, instead they seem to shift at a high pace giving the player no real feeling of opposition and gives an easy opportunity to strike those who for the moment are left without strong allies. I've never felt for long that I can't expand into a certain direction because I'm stopped by long-lasting alliances and coalitions.
There is also a high tendency for big countries to simply explode in this game, I'm guessing the AI often falls into the trap of annexing huge chunks of foreign culture territory.
The economic side of EU4 also gave the player a clear direction to work towards for additional benefit and variation. Even if you became super strong you could decide to go on a colonial detour far, far away to secure profitable trade routes to mix things up, or you could simply focus on creating a trade empire from the get-go.

Compared to CK2 the characters feel stale. I understand that this is a balancing act and you might not want to turn this into CK2.5, but we must be given more of a reason to care. Even if you included only a portion of the writing of Crusader Kings II it would help a lot though, and I don't think the two games would at all get too similar as long as the tone for Imperator is thematic and perhaps less comical in nature.
For instance, you could change the bribe so it actually cost money, and then instead give the player another option that costs points and starts a smaller event chain where you try to inspire a small amount loyalty to the person in question. And make it so that the "hold games" option actually does something more than simply adding popularity. What about some options, like having a choice in the nature of the event. What if I want to reenact the famous pitched naval battles of Nero? What if a lion gets loose and eats a bunch of plebs? You get the drift, I want more than a simple stat increase to feel involved. Doesn't have to be as heavy on the writing as CK2, but I'd like something. Give me events and stories that make me think of the political intrigues of ancient times. This ought to be one of the easiest way to make people feel more involved in the game.

Influence points. In my opinion there is an over reliance on points. You need them to move pops, you need them to set province policies, when you play an early tribe you have to bribe the chieftains every 5th year or so, you need them to declare war etc. If I want to change the policies of all my provinces I'd have to wait decades for enough points to do so, which is not fun and feels more like something that just exists to slow down my gameplay.
I feel like there is a tendency in my games to hold off on actual fun things like economy management because other more important matters have higher priorities, like teching. If I want to move my pops around in order to optimise my economy I do so at the expense of technology, so I often end up involuntarily not engaging myself in my own economy (also, the UI for pop management needs fixing asap).

Summa summarum. I'd like to see alliances last longer and become more of a commitment in order to counterbalance the player. Perhaps AI instability is part of the problem, at any rate they seem to shift far too often. I also don't like simple button presses with instant stat changes, I'd like some story involved so I more easily can relate to the people in my realm and get a sense of the consequences of my actions. I want to be able to immerse myself in conditions of the ancient times. The issue with Imperator is that it somewhat similar to EU4 and CK2 but only dabbles lightly in the things that made those two games great. Internal politics isn't as engaging compared to CK2 nor is outward expansion as exciting as in EU4.

Last edited:
Reactions:
That has happened in the past, and will happen again.

We've lost many great developers through the years due to community comments.
.....Wow. You know, I wish I could say I was surprised, but I'm upset and disheartened by the type of reviews and method of complaining that has been happening for Imperator, Stellaris, and EU4 - I don't really follow the forums for the other games. I can't imagine how much worse it would be for people who have spent months developing the game and DLCs.

Complaints are one thing but the cynicism and hate is quite another. People that actually enjoy the game are busy playing it, rather than review bombing the game on steam, spamming threads and making cynical comments.

I'd say that one of my biggest issues in the game is the lack of events to entertain me during peace time. Right now, there are what... 10 ? 15 different events ? When you compare to CKII, which has hundreds of different events, it hurts. I know that CKII is the product of years and years of work, and that multiple DLCs have refined the game slowly over the time, adding each time 50-60 events to the game... But the base game of I : P should at least contains a hundred of events. Like, 30 to 40 generic events that everyone can have, then 5-6 events related to a particular form of government, then a few events that are related to your culture, and then again, something like 20 events that are character-related (character traits). I think it should be a decent number for the base game.

Imperator has about 1050+ events currently.

And what is the difference you like between lets say Saxony and Aragon in EU4 that you can't find between Tartessos and Suionia in Imperator?

I'm genuinely curious.
Aragon has its own mission tree (some missions were ported from EUIII I think), and some events (mainly the Iberian Wedding), and they share the same religion with Saxony (which is in the HRE so they have that content) contrary to Tartessos and Suionia

But eu4 is the alternative game I could play right now. What eu:rome did or didn't do doesn't really matter in 2019.

edit:

I play in Germania/Gaul so there are tons of tribesmen to clean up. But I get that this point may look different depoending on your first game.
this. Reality

doesnt matter what devs think, when we who buy the game, think that

Reactions:
Look, it's very unfortunate for you, because you released a game that a lot of people are unhappy with. There's not really much of anything you can do to prevent this. There's no like, magic fix that will make people happy, which again, is very unfortunate. It's not that you didn't make the game deeper in every way than EU:Rome, it's that you made EU:Rome 2 and didn't make a game anyone likes. In 18 months the game might be good, but it's not very good now.

be careful about the word "anyone"..

Are there any plans for an interface to re-map hotkeys? I'm having trouble using the WASD map movement system after ~2,500 hours of EU4 (these keys have been drilled into my memory as political mapmode, board ships, split stack in half, and detach siege, respectively). And the macro-builder not being assigned to the 'B' key is rather annoying.