Imperator should reskin to look like eu4 and ck3.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It does happen to be quite different from other paradox titles (which I adore personnaly), you should look in the mod forum section to see if anyone else with your same taste has made a mod to change the feel of the map. Given your strong opinion on the matter this should improve your enjoyement greatly (for a reason that escapes me tho :D )

Goord Lord no.

I loved EUIV and I played it death, but having now finished with the game forever (bored, the Emporer update which I dodged is a disaster by all accounts), i'm definitely not missing how it looked, it wasn't great graphically and the text was an absolute nightmare to read. HOI IV lost me in development when theey were clearly not going to allow the "Battle Order" military structure system I loved, but it does look graphically reasonable, if a little arcadey and and simplistic. CKIII looks really nice, it is graphically appealing in its own way, although I know the "toony" style isn't liked by many.

But none of them are a patch on how Imperator Rome looks, especially the map, which is gorgeous, it's issues graphically are wthin the UI of the game not it's presentation.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The map and UI of imperator are the best part of it and should NOT be changed. Its absolutely beautiful, though clouds can be somewhat annoying. Not nearly as bad as the horrid desert storms in Hoi though.

Every time I play, I really want to like the game, but the semi-opaque cloudy gross map, which I try to tolerate / ignore, over hours long gamign sessions just eats away at me and i must stop. CK3, HOI4, EU4 are beautiful, viccy 2 and imperator are so gross to look at. There should at least be like an option.. default the game to being pretty, and have an option to make it ugly if you enjoy ugliness for some reason...

I imagine maybe the decision to make the game ugly came from wanting it to stand out from eu4 and ck3 in appearance... but why mess with what works?

122_223434.jpg

• 11Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I find it funny that all of the different factions of Imperator fans, have for once all come together to agree on something :)

Poor OP.
Well, there's this guy:

unknown.png

Show yourself, traitor!

• 14Haha
Reactions:
On the matter of aesthetics overall, I once said that CK3 blew every other Paradox game out of the water. I happen to really like the CK3 map as well, which I guess is a slightly contentious position. I think its color palette and stylized borders are warm and inviting in a way befitting its character-driven ethos. HOI4 is grungy, but that fits its subject matter well. I wish it were a little brighter just for the sake of clarity. EU4 is the peak of utilitarianism. It's very middle-of-the-road, but it works. Vic 2 is showing its age.

That said, I took one look at Imperator after 2.0 and it floored me. Now this is the game that sets the standard. It doesn't completely wipe the floor with CK3, but I think it does edge it out overall.

In terms of the map, though, Imperator is completely unmatched. The spherical projection is wonderful. I must have spent minutes on end just panning the map back and forth to watch the world turn. I didn't want to have to go back to flat map games once I saw it. It will be very interesting to see if the next iteration of any of Paradox's full-world games (EU5, HOI5, Vic 3) can pull off a full globe. To me at least, it will feel like a letdown if they don't after this. The bar has been set very high.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
There should at least be like an option.. default the game to being pretty, and have an option to make it ugly if you enjoy ugliness for some reason...
There is an option it's called graphics settings which you need to set to Ultra. But even on low settings Imperator still looks more beautiful than EU4 from 2013.

EU4 isn't ugly but it's more beautiful than EU3.

EU Rome isn't ugly but it's not as beautiful as Imperator.

Best map of any PDX game ever made. I can’t stand the cartoony map in CK3
Yeah. Strangly i find the Imperator map visually still much prettier. Especially the growing cities look so much more natural than the one castle, one church building ins CK3, which becomes most awkward, when Constantinople is just a castle and not the Metropolis it was.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yeah. Strangly i find the Imperator map visually still much prettier. Especially the growing cities look so much more natural than the one castle, one church building ins CK3, which becomes most awkward, when Constantinople is just a castle and not the Metropolis it was.
God, yes. Of all the things that bothers me about CK3, all settlements being represented by one single structure is the one that bothers me the most. It reminded me of the Settlers of Catan board or something, with no visual distinction between Constantinople or Baghdad and, say, Fife beyond how much stone is used in the castle.