Imperator should reskin to look like eu4 and ck3.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

halby

Second Lieutenant
105 Badges
Aug 18, 2011
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • For the Motherland
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
Every time I play, I really want to like the game, but the semi-opaque cloudy gross map, which I try to tolerate / ignore, over hours long gamign sessions just eats away at me and i must stop. CK3, HOI4, EU4 are beautiful, viccy 2 and imperator are so gross to look at. There should at least be like an option.. default the game to being pretty, and have an option to make it ugly if you enjoy ugliness for some reason...

I imagine maybe the decision to make the game ugly came from wanting it to stand out from eu4 and ck3 in appearance... but why mess with what works?

edit: Ultra texture quality, Disabled refraction, disabled shadows, disabled map objects, and now it looks great... So I shall amend my complaint: Default graphics settings make IR look bad. I wouldn't expect the texture quality to have such a big impact on how easy it is to read your country name.

Here's a screenshot of what I was talking about, see how low settings in both games, IR just looks way harder to make out... mostly I think maybe it's how the text is drawn, eu4 surrounds it in a glowing white aura so it stands out even at low settings.

Untitled.jpg

ir.jpg

Last edited:
  • 12Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I respect your opinion and all but i don't think theres ever been a post i've disagreed with more on this forum. This map is imo much better than eu4 and one of it's selling points. Not everyone likes the same style i guess.

• 11Like
Reactions:
Au contraire, EU5,when it eventually happens, should work towards creating such a pretty map as I:R, instead of that clay garbage that is the EU4 map.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Well, tastes certainly can differ. I think the map is gorgeous!

However, beauty certainly is in the eye of the beholder, so having the option to uglify might be somewhat difficult.

• 3Haha
Reactions:
Strongly disagree. I love the Imperator map by far, it’s full of colour and of life, positive. By comparison CKIII just looks gloomy to me somehow, as does HOI4 and to an extent EU4 looks.. outdated. By far the biggest strength of Imperator compared to the other games.

• 1Like
Reactions:
EU4 had a great map, but I:R set a new standard entirely. I basically had the same amount of "wow" factor going from EU4 to Imperator as I had going from EU3 to EU4. Why CK3 went for their, uh, unique look instead of building on the beautiful render in I:R is a complete mystery to me.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Glad to hear our friends in the other universe are doing well. Did you get covid over there or did you manage to escape that?

• 12Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Whort?

• 1Like
Reactions:
lmfao this is a joke right? Even for people who don't like Imperator, they admit that it has the best looking map, because quite simply, it just do!

• 4Like
Reactions:
Imperator has the best looking map in Paradox grand strategy games to date.
If anything I was a bit let down by CK3 cartoon/stylized map, but I guess they did that to fit with the stylized characters.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Imperator has the best looking map in Paradox grand strategy games to date.
If anything I was a bit let down by CK3 cartoon/stylized map, but I guess they did that to fit with the stylized characters.
CK3 is fine right up until you look at their marshy rivery provinces, like mesopotamia and the nile delta... they look awful. The rest of the map is gorgeous though... just not on Imperators level.

Reactions:
That's a joke, right? I would pay all that money I paid for Imperator just for its map.

The first time I looked at CK3's map the first impression I had was what a downgrade it was compared to IR's map.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is this high level sarcasm beyond my mind or do you really have such a different taste in comparison to almost everybody else? :D Btw if you don't like the clouds (fog of war) there is a mod, which reduces the effect drastically. For me I:R has the most beautiful map out of all paradox games, even the newer CK III is only 2nd place after I:R.

Reactions: