Imperator: Rome - Status Update (Apr 2021)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dnote

Product Manager
16 Badges
Dec 31, 2005
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Diplomacy
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
Hey,

We would like to give you an update on where we are at with Imperator: Rome, since the 2.0 Update and Heirs of Alexander. Earlier this year we did some reorganization work within PDS, you can read the full details in this thread - link.

I wanted to highlight a part of that communication that is relevant to Imperator, and the reason why we have been a little quiet recently:

You might have noticed that Imperator: Rome isn’t assigned to any of the studios mentioned above. The reason for this is that on a regular basis we analyze the projects we have in development, where they are at, what they are trying to do and also what people and resources we have working on them. As part of this analysis we realized that there was a need to bring reinforcement for a couple of the projects at PDS, and given where Imperator was at in the run up to 2.0’s launch, we decided that after the launch of the update we would move people from Imperator to these other projects. Right now we’re working on plans to regrow the team for Imperator and continue development, but for the short term we needed to focus our efforts on these other projects.

I wanted to break the news now to manage everyone’s expectations: don’t expect much Imperator news at PDXCON, or any new content coming out in 2021. We’ll of course get back to everyone with news about it as long as we have something to share!

Imperator is important to us, and you, our fans are also important to us, so we're going to figure this out. Not sure when we'll be back with more content, but the aim is to continue the same trajectory the game has been going in, with great quality of life updates, free content and solid, enjoyable DLCs.

Happy to answer any questions, where possible, and expect a few other people from the team will probably drop in to say a word of two in the thread as well.

Thanks,

• 18Like
  • 6Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Hi all, Arheo here.

As mentioned above, many of the faces you've become used to seeing in relation to Imperator will be moving on to utilise their talent in support of new projects.

2.0 was, and will remain a seminal moment in Imperator's history. The reception from the players has been overwhelming, and we are beyond proud of what the team has accomplished.

I will also be joining the team in their exodus to projects various, so I wanted to take this opportunity to thank the I:R team, our community and fans for crafting Imperator into a strong, unique element in the PDS repertoire.

I have confidence that Imperator will continue to grow towards the vision we created for it, and I will continue to be present both here and elsewhere for further conversation regarding the best PDS game ;)

/Peter

• 32Like
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
This is not good news but that's how it goes. I think Imperator has easily the best skeleton of any of the Paradox strategy games and it just needs a bit more time and love to flesh it out so I'm pretty sad to hear that will not be the case for a while. Good luck on your next projects.

• 33Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Imperator: Rome is in good shape in my opinion - I've played an interesting campaign forming Albion.
I think it's a good information that I:R team wants to help with other projects - especially EU4 and Victoria 3 ;)

Last edited:
  • 26Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I had already given up on content but i do would like to know if at least a team will working on on bug fixing and undesired features managing, or the other major aspects the game is severly lacking right now

• 10Like
Reactions:
1619793520327.png

Good luck on the other projects and hope to see you return to imperator soon.

No matter what happens thanks for a great game.

Much love, jiben.

• 12Like
Reactions:
That's very disappointing, but appreciate having some news on the matter. Best of luck, hope you can help turn around some other properties to the degree IR has seen.

• 11Like
Reactions:
Well shit.

• 25Like
  • 11Haha
Reactions:
Well, I have confidence in the quality of the work that the people from the Imperator team can deliver, so I will look foward to whatever projects these people are involved (too bad for you Arheo, now I have high expectations).

Still, I's be lying if I said that it doesn't leave me worried for I:R. This, combined with the total lack of presence in the PdxCon agenda is kinda sad for the people who want more. Hope the task now won't be too difficult for the remaining team, since now there will be less people working on it if I understood correctly

• 9Like
Reactions:
What are the chances of Imperator being shelved permanently? Because it does look like so.

That isn't our intention, but obviously no one can predict the future. Imperator is in a good place right now, so we felt it was safe to pause development for a bit and help reinforce some other projects. This isn't ideal, we've traditionally moved people around projects quite a lot to ensure we can get things done, we're trying not to move people around so much now (because it causes other problems), and in the short term that means one of the projects unfortunately had to give up a few people.

• 4Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I am really sad.
Good luck in further projects and thank you for all the good work. I will miss @Snow Crystal memes and puns.

(Now we have real reasons to write some “is imperator dead” threads)

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Sad news, very excited I thought that after 2.0 there would be more content and improvements to the game that basically after that great update the game became a gem. More painful is the departure of Arheo. So is this, good luck to all the members who go into the exodus, especially Arheo and again thanks for the great love that the game received.

• 4Like
Reactions:
That is pretty close to what I was expecting, except that I was really hoping that there would be a preset timeline for when work on Imperator will resume.

Without that it's unfortunately all to common for a temporary break to turn into a permanent end-of-development.

But alas, I can only hope PDS will prove me wrong on the second part.

• 11Like
Reactions:
I will be waiting for your genius to resurface wherever you work guys! Thank you

Last edited:
  • 9Like
Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.