Imperator: Rome - Status Update (Apr 2021)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's quite telling how the character focused game is the one having the best success.
People might not like this but this is the hard truth. People want engaging stories and characters in their games.

I don't think it's telling at all, it's just that CKIII built on a very successful predecessor, and has has been very well developed, marketed and managed from day 1. That's the difference, it's not because CKIII is character based.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Nooo not PDX's most beloved historic map painting game of this generation as of this week!

Edit: Guys, you can stop disliking this post, I was mostly poking fun at EUIV with its botched Leviathan release earlier this week :D

Last edited:
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I am really sad to see this.

Imperator has really started to shine and it is sad to see it halted when it could soar.

But I guess a bad launch still anchors the game even after all the hard work went into fixing it. Especially because so much is just... unfinished. The entire swathe of the non graecoroman world is in a state of neglect that need as much love as the heirs and magna graeca gave to greece and the diadochi. There's so much more that can be done while some other Pdox games already creak under the weight of content dedicated to them and could have perhaps benefitted from end of development cycles themselves.

Reactions:
Ouch... :(

I was always an adamant optimist in regards to the future of IR...and believe me, I would love to be wrong now...but I think that's it. I hate to write it, but both my feeling and logic tells it. And no, I'm not accusing Paradox of masking an already made decision of dropping IR...no, I even believe them that they haven't finally decided and intend to make the final decision later. It is just...I simply can't believe that in 2022 this decision will be the happy resuming of IR development. Why?

1. In our fast days, at least 9 months of halted development is a lot. It will not help to keep IR "alive" and "(social) media present" during those dark period...
2. ...and in the moment the final decision is made, hard economical calculations will be made...
3. ...to see if it is worth to put new creative, people in charge of IR. Staff that is hard to find we learned a few posts above and who will need time to get into IR...
4 ...which delays any potential positive results of such amove even more (reinforcing 1.)

Not a likely scenario. It will be a matter of something else getting/having higher priority again, e.g. a new game announced this year. At best I see an IR2 in a distant future.

Again - bring out the red Xs for this post of mine, please convince me that I'm wrong :( If Paradox does it in 2022 by new IR content, even better...

Finally, a huge thank to @Arheo and all the other devs moving over to new projects for a great journey and what we have with 2.03 !

• 8Like
Reactions:
I don’t understand how this can happen when PDX experiences positive growth year after year. They’ve become such a large company. Can’t they just hire more people if manpower is such an issue?
I have anecdotal evidence from friends who are developers and former game devs. They said it can be hard to keep developers in the games industry and not leave it for better paid less stressful IT jobs.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's all about numbers. And Imperator didn't have them post 2.0. Game is dead, it's time to lay flowers at his grave and move on. I'm absolutely devastated. But no way after 14-18 months in total silence people will magically come back. Caesar didn't even have time to cross the Rubicon.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't think it's telling at all, it's just that CKIII built on a very successful predecessor, and has has been very well developed, marketed and managed from day 1. That's the difference, it's not because CKIII is character based.

Ok so the fact that the best developed, marketed and managed game with a successful predecessor IS the character based one is a mere coincidence for you?
I think we might like a genre or not personally but we have to see the evidence here, especially since part of this team will go on CK3.

Reactions:
as disappointing as this news is, the game is at least in a fantastic state currently. much love to arheo and the team for what they have achieved <3

i certainly wont stop playing this great game, and look forward to spending this year modding it to my hearts content

• 8Like
Reactions:
But no way after 14-18 months in total silence people will magically come back.
^This. I have played 2.0 to death at this point and the only thing that will keep me interested over time is new content. No new content means for me that I will move on and simply play other games that will keep me interested instead.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is PR spin. Rather than say development is coming to an end, they're saying it is being paused. In the end, unsurprisingly, the economics won the day, this was always going happen if engagement did not increase.

It's about money, the rest is BS.

What a great week for PDS, another epic disaster on EUIV and then they shut down one of their best games, I have to say PDS have lost all my respect as a studio, but I have no problem with the devs etc who do their best while being clearly under-resourced.
I think I agree.
I can't say as I fully understand the corporate rationale behind it, but then again I don't understand the whole negative interest rate thing either.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Ok so the fact that the best developed, marketed and managed game with a successful predecessor IS the character based one is a mere coincidence for you?
I think we might like a genre or not personally but we have to see the evidence here, especially since part of this team will go on CK3.

I mean, yes?

You do realise that CK3 is the only PDS game that isn't years old at this point?

Reactions:

Yes, that's exactly what it is. There's zero correlation between having a competent dev, marketing and managing teams in charge of a game AND the game being carachter driven, that's clearly just coincidence.

There's no evidence for what you're claiming at all, neither is the movement of devs from IR to CKIII proof of anything.

Reactions:
as disappointing as this news is, the game is at least in a fantastic state currently. much love to arheo and the team for what they have achieved <3

i certainly wont stop playing this great game, and look forward to spending this year modding it to my hearts content

The problem is that... this is only true for the graeco roman world and not the rest of it, from india to gaul to spain, etc. All these places need the same love to really shine.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.