Imperator: Rome Development Diary - 20th of January 2020

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Whatever I say, I’m saying something that would destroy the game for someone, I’m sorry:(
Im sure you had reason to be critical of political infleunce, you can contribute further by elaborating on that to meet my point , argue against it, or agree to disagree, you're not offending me by doing this n'or are you destoying anything. i would advice we try to stop harking on notions of causing disruption, destruction or offense - if anything here is disruptive, it is such sentimentality in itself. We spend a lot of time reading and posting here, so i understand that you get invested, but yeah… if you want more advice on this, just pm me. any time.

I'd add that presumably any changes would go through Paradox's own decision-making/QA process, so even if they adopted a forum suggestion that turned out to be terrible, it wouldn't be the forumite's fault, it would be the fault of the devs for their implementation. Sorting the wheat from the chaff is why they are paid, after all.

People make terrible suggestions on every forum for every game, all the time. That's just Sturgeon's Law in action. But sometimes, they make good suggestions. That's why forums like this one still have suggestion forums, and devs still devote time to reading said suggestions. The key is to not take it personally either way.

And now let's not detour any further, and get to the most important question that this dev diary brings:

Human sacrifice? Yay or nay? And does it depend on your pantheon?

Eventually they could try to remove the min max stuff completely from the game together with stuff that don't make much sense such as the omnibus political influence that create some very strange stuff and basically is nothing more than a rebranded monarch Point system that is not connected to the monarch.

Whatever I say, I’m saying something that would destroy the game for someone, I’m sorry:(

I very much love seeing your input in these forums but yeah, that would actually kill the game for me. The change from mana to political influence was a gargantuan leap forward, it is absolutely not a rebranded monarch point system and it is absolutely connected to the monarch via corruption. Going back to a mana system would be a terrible move. Though if you mean just removing political influence and not replacing it with mana, then I have no idea how many systems within the game would work at all. This is the best option we have available.

Yes I mean removing political influence and replace it with non-mana reaources. Given how many stuff political influence is used for it lead to some pretty strange situations such as fabricate claims directly affect your ability to found cities which have mana-like character. Like I had a laugh attack when I thought about what Alexander would say if he couldnt found more cities because he spent his political influence on claims.

For example here is one suggestion which remove political influence from diplomatic actions and use less abstract resources such as characters and money: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ries-the-diplomats-of-imperator-rome.1313740/

Here is a thread about political influence and possible replacements: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...f-a-province-tied-to-political-power.1310371/

Last edited:
Only a few. Buddhism/Jainism in particular, but also to some extent the monotheists like Judaism (who actually went on a mini-"convert or die" campaign of conquest against the Idumeans during this time). Presumably they would have different mechanics (as it doesn't really make sense for a Jewish ruler of the Hellenistic period to be offering sacrifices to the One True God and also to e.g. Demeter on the side), but that's been said to be a subject for a future DD. Hopefully the monotheists/etc. get stronger starting omens to make up for the fact that they can never switch.

For polytheists this works fine (although I do wonder how it affects things like pop conversion and the like, but that's also presumably another DD).
Ya we were kinda punished for that what with Herod the Great exterminating the Hasmoneans.

So you can workship the Tetragrammaton (YHWH), HaShem, Adonai and Yahweh if you're playing as a Jewish state.
No you can't, they are the same. The tetragram cannot be said or written, except when quoting Toirah, and it is incredibly offensive to just say it casually. HaShem literally means The Name, refering to the tetragram and is used in replace of it. Same with Adonai only Adonai is used when prayer/reading the Torah. Adonai means Lord. As for Elohim, its a generic name for a supernatural entity, so technically all the gods are Elohim.

Judaism would need a whole new system, one that I have previously outlined based around the sanhedrin.

Really like this change! Leaning into a more henotheistic population works really well for this time period, and definitely distinguishes it from the other PDX games.

I'm interested in how you plan to handle the overlap between deities in different spheres? From the sound of it, the plan seems to be that when the same god (same role, same stories, pretty much the same god) appears across multiple spheres or religion, it will remain tied to that sphere throughout the game, with separate boni. Was it considered to have deities be more fluid, with the potential to be adopted across religious spheres, albeit with a name change?

Additionally, I'm not sure I'm wholly content with the mechanism for access to deities coming through conquest of particular territories, at least alone. It would be interesting if migration/trade could lead to leaders taking note of new deities, to allow tall players some method of drawing religions to them, rather than always having to go to war to grab them.

I very much love seeing your input in these forums but yeah, that would actually kill the game for me. The change from mana to political influence was a gargantuan leap forward, it is absolutely not a rebranded monarch point system and it is absolutely connected to the monarch via corruption. Going back to a mana system would be a terrible move. Though if you mean just removing political influence and not replacing it with mana, then I have no idea how many systems within the game would work at all. This is the best option we have available.

Well, we shouldn't remove Political Influence, it represent's pulling favours and other such things, BUT I do want it to be a secondary support action to more direct ones.
I would like to convince more characters to support me by a give and take system.
I want to change this law, you A.I senator don't want to, unless I build a fort in Veii, conveniently near you family estate.
Or what about you, no cant be convinced, how about some gold, or a holding? No? Stubborn old goat.

Then you can also have non corrupts senators, but who actually try to represent their voters, who will support you, but the people need food safety in Capua, building a Granary there will give my support. Etc etc money for a foundation helping the sick. Import more food to the frontier province of INSERT NAME, the soldiers and populace etc.

So much can be done to inject personality, or should I say life into the politics.
At the moment it does not feel human enough, we ought to make this Empire building game feel more like you rule human beings, and have to convince different types of humans with personal morals or ambitions.
When you have no more moves left, you can try to use political influence as a last resort, but the cost should be steep if you have to convince a lot of senators by then.
That's my idea at least.

just so I understand this correctly: I could play, lets say Carthage, go to greece and conquer the Statue of Zeus (which would be a holy center for Zeus) and then pray to Zeus and get the -0.10 AE reduction omen?

just so I understand this correctly: I could play, lets say Carthage, go to greece and conquer the Statue of Zeus (which would be a holy center for Zeus) and then pray to Zeus and get the -0.10 AE reduction omen?
Yes but you would have to set aside one of your own gods to do so. So you have to choose between making the hellenic pops more happy or the Canaanite pops more happy.

Yes but you would have to set aside one of your own gods to do so. So you have to choose between making the hellenic pops more happy or the Canaanite pops more happy.

While you are correct in this case I don't think that Galliad is gunning for POP happiness but rather reducing his AE faster. So if a little less happy Canaanite POPs are ok in exchange for reduced AE, then its just to go ahead I suppose.

While you are correct in this case I don't think that Galliad is gunning for POP happiness but rather reducing his AE faster. So if a little less happy Canaanite POPs are ok in exchange for reduced AE, then its just to go ahead I suppose.
Yes but that is Obviously the Point of the system. However you will only have 1 deity in each category so you can't have 4 war deities or so, which mean some combinations will not be possible.