Imperator: Rome Development Diary - 18th of November

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice! Now I can have some medium term goals. The times I´ve tried the game never knew where to start, and everything seemed to be objectives in the long term.
This might have the effect of a tutorial, suggesting the player the road to be taken, either in the civil development area or the military area

I'm glad you did a DD on these as opposed to the nation-specific ones. I find the generic/dynamic stuff more interesting because it really shows off the power of what this mission engine can do.

If being too small bars you from using the mission system, couldn't there be a mission tree about getting to the point where you're big enough to do a regular mission tree? Some regions can have a 'unite the area/culture/tribe' mission tree. Maybe a 'settle the area' tree for small nations that don't have suitable neighbors to take and open land nearby. Finally a 'great migration' tree for migratory tribes who want to go somewhere else which eventually culminates in them settling a large enough area to do normal mission trees.

I absolutely love the idea of a Great Family taking the idea of monarchy, and another in a republic route in a tribe. Could definitely lead to interesting gameplay if the families internally squabble with one another. :)

Please please please, could this kind of Mechanic occur in Rome as well? An example, the Junii for more Republican ideals, and the Juli for more dictatorial aspects?

THE CITIES OF THE BRUTES OF THE MEDITERRANEAN WILL BURN UNDER THE GLORY OF THE STEPPE HORSES

The mission system will be a welcome addition, looking great so far. Will there be a tree for migratory tribes?

Also any chance of having the siege system revisited in this update? The way assaults work now are a bit silly, as assault losses are tied to # of cohorts, making a 6K stack ideal for assaulting . Something similar to CK2 would be nice to start with, IMO

Hopefully buildings now will change with culture, I dont want my carthaginian colonies looking like huts!
Yeah, I'd like to have this change too. I had a game as Bosporan Kingdom and the majority of my cities looked so barbaric, this thing makes me mad

I hope you continue adding more generic missions as well as doing country specific ones in future updates. It seems like a powerful way to add direction to the game!

I'd love to see tag switching / country formation using the mission tree later too. And perhaps even a Roman Empire mission tree for transitioning from a Republic (and going through a period of instability, probable civil war, and rise and fall of families).

I hope you continue adding more generic missions as well as doing country specific ones in future updates. It seems like a powerful way to add direction to the game!

I'd love to see tag switching / country formation using the mission tree later too. And perhaps even a Roman Empire mission tree for transitioning from a Republic (and going through a period of instability, probable civil war, and rise and fall of families).
This can also solve the 'i can't play Cesar issue' about Civil War since switching sides is not allowed.A mission tree with that can allow for a Cesar-like scenario.I will really looking forward to see that in the future personnaly.

Just got an email announcement for it - Imperator: Rome THE LIVY UPDATE

No date, of course, just the usual 'soon'.

Looks great! Suggestion/ question. If the generic mission system is dynamic, then the succes of achievement hunters will be dependent on a lot of restarts. So maybe it is possible to be able to do a 'redraw of missions cards'

A very interesting and exciting dev diary. I really like this mission system.

I saw a few missions that tie to internal families/politics but many of them seemed to not and this is kind of concerning. At least for the generic missions this should be pretty straightforward. If you're developing a region then the governor of that region and their family should gain significant holdings/money/prestige from the development. Also any officials that hold administrative positions in your government should get a small bump too.

I also like some of the emphasis on establishing subject states. It doesn't go far enough to emphasize their use for my liking (it seems to present them as an equal alternative to annexation). Subject states should come with significant bonuses as opposed to annexation which should come with significant costs.

If being too small bars you from using the mission system, couldn't there be a mission tree about getting to the point where you're big enough to do a regular mission tree? Some regions can have a 'unite the area/culture/tribe' mission tree. Maybe a 'settle the area' tree for small nations that don't have suitable neighbors to take and open land nearby. Finally a 'great migration' tree for migratory tribes who want to go somewhere else which eventually culminates in them settling a large enough area to do normal mission trees.

The development mission requires a certain size but the conquest mission does not. :)