Imperator: Rome - Development Diary - 16th of September 2019

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Carlberg

Lead Environment Artist - CKIII
Paradox Staff
40 Badges
Oct 17, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Paradox Order
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Dungeonland
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Magicka 2: Ice, Death and Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Magicka 2
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • War of the Roses
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Europa Universalis IV
Imperator: Rome - Development Diary - 16th of September 2019

Visual changes to 1.2 (and earlier)

Hello and welcome to today development diary for Imperator: Rome!

I’m Carlberg, the Art Lead on Imperator, and today we’re going to have a look at some of the visual changes that we’ve done to 1.2 Cicero. It’s also going to be a bit of a retrospective at some of the visual additions since release as well, and our thoughts behind them.

New Interfaces and UX
As shown in earlier DD’s we’ve been working on improving our interfaces. This is a collaborative effort between our 2D artists and UX designer to make sure each window becomes more easily readable and contain the information you might need at a glance. In the case of our province view for example some information that wasn't as necessary was moved out, and more important information moved in from other interfaces to make sure it's closer at hand.

upload_2019-9-16_17-18-30.png

The new building icons were another area where we sought to increase the clarity, as the previous icons were small and unclear. When we added the new set of buildings we made sure that they and the old ones had a more iconic look and easier silhouette to read. This includes both the new set of buildings for settlements and for cities/metropolises.

upload_2019-9-16_17-18-41.png

In general we’re looking at making our interfaces more clear and streamlined. It’s a bit of a balance we need to strike between having information readily available, but it shouldn't be so cluttered that it’s hard to actually discern. This is of course an ongoing process and will continue past 1.2 Cicero.

Curtailed Fog
As we got to hear from a lot of people after release, the fog was too strong. So much so that a mod popped up that went in and removed it completely. We definitely agreed it was too much and dialed it back. The before and after images below will give you a good idea of the change to bring more clarity to the world.

upload_2019-9-16_17-18-57.png

The fog became a problem when the game camera was at certain angles and just overall. We made sure that it’d look better at all zoom levels and just play a role in the background, for areas much further away in the distance.

Progressing civilization
In 1.2 we dialed back the amount of visual cities in the world to create a more stark contrast between sparsely settled provinces and large bustling cities. This also makes the growth of cities and civilization stand out more in the world.

upload_2019-9-16_17-19-13.png

A living world
Starting in 1.1 we’ve been adding more of what we call dynamic objects to the world. These come in the form of constructible wonders, storms, volcanic eruptions and the like. They are ways for us to show the progress of the classical states, as well as the uncaring nature of the elements and the world itself.

upload_2019-9-16_17-16-40.png

We aim to add more dynamic aspects to the world in the future, and it should also open up the avenue for our modders to add interesting things to the world as well.

Seagulls
So as some may have spotted, and we have noted earlier, is that now all the ports in the game have seagulls flying overhead. This is not merely for aesthetics but also a sign that the territory is a potential port location.

Deepwater ports were hard to construct in this era, the Romans did, but more so during the Imperial era. Most states instead had to rely on using naturally occurring deepwater for their ports. So now, even if a territory is uncolonized, these seagulls will be flying overhead as a telltale sign of the natural harbor location.

upload_2019-9-16_17-19-29.png

Visualizing the Future
Going forward we aim to add more interesting aspects to the world to tell the state of your empires, or what might afflict them. A more living world we will all enjoy conquering.

Some of the things on the horizon I’m burning to show you, but those will have to wait until they’re ready for showing.

That’s it for this weeks Dev Diary!

Yay been waiting all day for this! :D

It would be really fantastic if you could take a look at the work @Long Game Short is doing with his UI mods, things like the % of your primary culture beside the culture pie chart are really awesome quality of life things I would love to see implemented into the game, and his rearranging of the trade goods so that you can actually see what they are and how many you have of them when it comes to the late game is invaluable.
state.png

Last edited:
Some of the things on the horizon I’m burning to show you
"I’m burning to show you"
burning

NERO confirmed! Extended timeline to the first century! :D

On a serious note, that's a lot of progress. I keep forgetting the volcanoes can do this. I wonder what else is in store for the future. Earthquakes? Floods?
I assume the release date is still a mystery?

It would be really fantastic if you could take a look at the work @Long Game Short is doing with his UI mods, things like the % of your primary culture beside the culture pie chart are really awesome quality of life things I would love to see implemented into the game, and his rearranging of the trade goods so that you can actually see what they are and how many you have of them when it comes to the late game is invaluable.
state.png

That looks great tbh. Even more info than the vanilla UI, and in a much smaller space at that.

state.png
It's a shame that UI mods disable achievements, this mod would fix everything!

It's a shame that UI mods disable achievements, this mod would fix everything!
literally the only reason I want it in the base game, otherwise I'd be content with just using the mod permanently :D

Can I ask for a feature request here? I think it's in line with this dev diary.

Can you change the colour of the square inside the minimap? The current white isn't easily visible in screenshots because of the grey map. A colour with higher contrast would be helpful, like orange, since it would still be well visible on both the blue water and the grey land.
Feel free to experiment with other colours of course, I have no particular preference for orange necessarily, just want it to be adequately visible at all times.
You might want to avoid controversial colours like fuchsia or fluorescent green though. ;)

I’m Carlberg, the Art Lead on Imperator, and today we’re going to have a look at some of the visual changes that we’ve done to 1.2 Cicero. It’s also going to be a bit of a retrospective at some of the visual additions since release as well, and our thoughts behind them.
Some is correct! I think you're selling the improvements short, as one of the biggest improvements for me is the Families UI. :)

rearranging of the trade goods so that you can actually see what they are and how many you have of them when it comes to the late game is invaluable.
Something should be done to make trade goods more manageable, because it is quite hard to figure out what you need/want to trade for with a later game capital.

state.png

That UI looks gorgeous. Paradox should really follow that example.

Visual improvements are always very welcome. Great work guys! Hope you continue to improve the UI and add unique models to the landscape to add needed flavour.

state.png
Is this image a work in progress? I subscribed to his mods but the only change is the bottom city view, not the province view. Can you link the mod pls?

Is this image a work in progress? I subscribed to his mods but the only change is the bottom city view, not the province view. Can you link the mod pls?
it is a work in progress still, yes. The trade goods stuff should be coming soon. This is an image from his discord.

Some of the things on the horizon I’m burning to show you, but those will have to wait until they’re ready for showing.

I'm guessing this is a reference to the city fires Johan mentioned a while back. I hope we also get VFX for floods and maybe something similar to CK2 for plagues.