Imperator: Rome Developer Diary - June 8th 2020

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It is however not intended to be able to seek one for your dead relatives, which is a bug that the screenshot @Chopmist posted highlights ;)
There's a ANOTHER bug in the screenshot. Troias Aiakidai (younger sister of Pyrrhos) should be his third child, but she's absent.

speaking of bugs, hopefully you've already fixed these two
  • Phthia Menid (Mother of Pyrrhus) should be Thessalian. Currently she is depicted as Epirote, but this is wrong. Reason: Her father was Menon IV of Pharsalus, a ruler of Pharsalus in Thessaly. King Aeacides of Epirus married her in order to cement an alliance between Epirus and Thessaly in the Lamian war.
  • Olympias Aiakidai (deceased mother of Alexander the Great) should be Epirote. Currently she has Macedonian culture but she was a member of the Epirote Aiakidai family and moved to Macedon as only when she married Philipp II in a politically arranged marriage.
But if not, please fix them.

a few more things:
- Ambarakia should start with a Harbour and a Navy. They've contributed triremes for the Greek fleet at Salamis.
- The UI REALLY needs some rework. In the Support Greek claimant screenshot there are 4 options but only 3 characters are shown (leaving out Timarchos of Korkyra). This could confuse a player.
- Can you add Akratic as a character Trait?

Reactions:
Kinda bummed all the missions so far have been in the Greece/Italy or their colonies so far, would love some attention to different Persian nations, Bactria or southern India myself, basically anything more to the east of the map I guess.

I get that for a game about antiquity it's focusing on the nations people associate most with that time period, but I personally enjoy other places on the map more.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Considering Phyrros was most famous in the ancient world for the book(s) he wrote on military strategy, will the player be able to write those as an event?

• 1Like
Reactions:
That’s all from me, and I hope you enjoy the Epirus content!
So, related to the last screenshot, directly above this line: I always felt that the rewards for most of the missions are interesting at some point in the game but quickly fall off. This feeling is supported by two campaigns I recently finished (Thebes and Germanic tribe). Especially those mid- to late-game missions of forming new tags. 8 pops isn't really something to work for, you can get those from sieging a single province. The 10% tax/trade and population growth are also nice to boast your idea of your capital as the new center of the world, sure. But they are not something of any relevance for the power of your empire. Political power might come in handy, and the claims save you some time and additional political power. So the only really relevant reward is an inexplicable sense of pride and accomplishment (something you should have trademarked a long time ago :D ).

But after all, by the time you crack these missions, the game is likely already won and you are basically just mopping up your neighbors (which is another issue but not my point here). Having said that, I don't see an easy solution. You can't easily scale the rewards to empire size, I assume. But I'd like to know how you feel about this.

Reactions:
So no civil war? :) Or that wouldn't make much sense anyway?

Historically there was a plot in the Epirote court which led to Neoptolemus' summary execution, avoiding a tiresome civil war, you also get to avoid it as a result :)

But if not, please fix them.

You'll be pleased to hear the bugs affecting Troias, Phthia, and Olympias have been fixed for the next version, and Ambrakia has also received a port!

• 13Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Historically there was a plot in the Epirote court which led to Neoptolemus' summary execution, avoiding a tiresome civil war, you also get to avoid it as a result :)

You'll be pleased to hear the bugs affecting Troias, Phthia, and Olympias have been fixed for the next version, and Ambrakia has also received a port!
Very well done :D

Didn't read the description since I want to find out while playing, but its nice to see a meaty mission pack added for Epirus. And I like some of the other things mentioned by the devs as well, nice going!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Kinda bummed all the missions so far have been in the Greece/Italy or their colonies so far, would love some attention to different Persian nations, Bactria or southern India myself, basically anything more to the east of the map I guess.

I get that for a game about antiquity it's focusing on the nations people associate most with that time period, but I personally enjoy other places on the map more.

They will come...but prepare yourself for Autumn of War to be Diadochi focused. Hopefully after that we'll get some tribals or eastern nations updated and focused on.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Now, Pyrrhus is of course most famous for his campaigns in Italy, inspired by those of his cousin Alexander I of Epirus who died fighting the Bruttians and Lucanians and was himself attempting to emulate his nephew Alexander the Great’s eastern conquests in the west. However, Pyrrhus was famously akratic, changing his objectives on a whim and pursuing many simultaneous opportunities. To reflect this, Epirus will be able change between the two other mission trees - ‘Alexandrine Ambition’ and ‘Hellenic Contender’ - without a cooldown or loss of progress while Pyrrhus is their ruler, though at a cost to the court's confidence in their leader.
Will this be available for other characters (perhaps attached to a trait?), or is the mechanic exclusive to this one character among all the rulers for all the countries covered in the game's timeframe?

And if the latter, are there plans to make other character-exclusive mechanics going forward?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Also in the last map picture you can, I think, see a Thessalian state: Gurkhal Approves!

Will this be available for other characters (perhaps attached to a trait?), or is the mechanic exclusive to this one character among all the rulers for all the countries covered in the game's timeframe?

And if the latter, are there plans to make other character-exclusive mechanics going forward?

For now this is a bit of flavour exclusive to Pyrrhus and the Epirote pack.

• 3Like
Reactions:
What difference in this update and pre-order ?
If you pre-ordered, you'll get this content for free; if not, you have to buy it separately.

The content itself (specifically the mission trees/various events) is all new (the current pre-order version just has a few events).

Reactions: