Imperator: Rome Developer Diary - 9th of November 2020

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Amazing changes that actually make me want to play the game. Hopefully other Paradox games can manage to have levy systems tied to their respective population/population replacement systems (where appropriate), because this adds a whole lot more nuance to the balance between war and economy.

Reactions:
Imagine you untied your governor's hands and he raised the provincial levies and conquered more lands for himself and his family, boosting his power base

Imagine clan leaders could always raise levies to go forth and conquer.
That would be...awesome. Then he uses it as a power base when he rebels...

• 3Like
Reactions:
Imagine you untied your governor's hands and he raised the provincial levies and conquered more lands for himself and his family, boosting his power base

Imagine clan leaders could always raise levies to go forth and conquer.
That would require us to play as a family/family head though :) In fact, when we'll declare war and raise levies with a governor to conquer some lands, it means the very situation you described will have happened since we are playing as the spirit of the nation.

That would require us to play as a family/family head though :) In fact, when we'll declare war and raise levies with a governor to conquer some lands, it means the very situation you described will have happened since we are playing as the spirit of the nation.

indeed, imagine when you declare war and raise governors levies the levy refuses to go outside the governor's region like provincial armies do now. Maybe if the governor is disloyal, that may happen; although now an army with a disloyal general will just be independent altogether. It is realistic though, kind of like when Alexander's army refused to go further into India.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Each step towards Victoria 2: But In Another Time Period demonstrably improves literally any paradox game. Truly, we were correct in the first dev diary on military, we were correct on day 1, we were correct on November 9, 2020.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Each step towards Victoria 2: But In Another Time Period demonstrably improves literally any paradox game. Truly, we were correct in the first dev diary on military, we were correct on day 1, we were correct on November 9, 2020.

Im still hoping that there will be a day that we will have granular pop numbers than the current one.

Its a lot better mechanics wise to have a population of 500,000 than have 200 pops. Plus it's a lot more satisfying to look at.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Im still hoping that there will be a day that we will have granular pop numbers than the current one.

Its a lot better mechanics wise to have a population of 500,000 than have 200 pops. Plus it's a lot more satisfying to look at.
but this is not about satisfying, this is about the performance in-game, in Victoria 2, there was the population at a provincial level, here, the population it is to city level, so the devs have to be careful to not to break their game. The current population mechanic in my opinion is better in the long run.

• 1Like
Reactions:

Except of course, it wouldn't reflect when the governor took the spoils for himself and then decided to use his new power base to cross the Rubicon and claim power.

The situation I described would be more tricky for the player. It would have the advantage of expanding the realm, but also the disadvantage of having an overmighty character to contend with. A bit like when a powerful vassal expands in Crusader Kings.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Except of course, it wouldn't reflect when the governor took the spoils for himself and then decided to use his new power base to cross the Rubicon and claim power.

The situation I described would be more tricky for the player. It would have the advantage of expanding the realm, but also the disadvantage of having an overmighty character to contend with. A bit like when a powerful vassal expands in Crusader Kings.
We play as the nation as a whole so that governor there is also our character when we go to war and raise levies. "Untying" hands of a character that we play as sounds wrong, isn't it? It'd only possible when that governor goes disloyal and set apart himself from the spirit of the nation we play as. Or maybe when the player leaving the control to AI intentionally.

This is so great, I love anything that makes the simulation better and the pop system more detailed and weighty.

Not necesarily. Remember that they have tackled number of forts and carpet sieges, so you're not gonna need so many stacks spread everywhere. And you will still have several (one for region), so if you raise many levies you'll probably see more stacks than before.

this game may end up being a Paradox classic, how about that for a turnaround. So much depth now by the looks of it. Honestly this is what happens when game designers are allowed the freedom to make changes that make a game better not just easier for the masses.

• 1Like
Reactions:
this game may end up being a Paradox classic, how about that for a turnaround. So much depth now by the looks of it. Honestly this is what happens when game designers are allowed the freedom to make changes that make a game better not just easier for the masses.
Definitely. Release failure and being a complete experimental project surely helped.

Genius. Talk about gaining immersion and new interesting gameplay mechanics at the same time with one change. Very, very well done. I will certainly reinstall now :)

One thing I quite like the idea of is having the best quality levy troops recruital from your capital province. Think principes and triarii from Rome. Integrated troops from provinces and Italian allies being less motivated perhaps? This brings up a nice mechanic in that troops raised from the center of your empire being better but farther away from the front lines than troops raised provinces. Gives a nice advantage to smaller powers over large empires. It is something that was quite nicely implemented in some of the better total war mods I played back in the day.

Last edited:
So are we going to see a full transition to CK: Rome?

I don't mind this change that much, but we are in the Diadochi wars. The Macedon military and many parts of Greece, due to the hegemony of Philip and later on Alexander, was essentially professional based.

I don't mind this change that much, but we are in the Diadochi wars. The Macedon military and many parts of Greece, due to the hegemony of Philip and later on Alexander, was essentially professional based.

I guess this is reflected by the "legion" and the respective law therefore the diadochii start with. Imo it's fine that way and afaik the diadochii also relied on mercenaries and e.g. the Seleucids on indigenous troops too and in the later stages even the Ptolemaic Kingdom does. And it took time to get them professional. So I think it's pretty fine and much better than the current system even for the diadochii. Also monarchies (diadochii) are getting access to multiple legions easier.

• 2Like
Reactions: