Imperator: Rome Developer Diary - 4th of May 2020

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Trin Tragula

Design Lead - Crusader Kings 3
Paradox Staff
28 Badges
Aug 1, 2003
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • IPO Investor
  • Paradox Order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II
Hello and welcome to another Development Diary for Imperator: Rome and the features of the upcoming Menander update. Today I will be talking about some of the changes we are bringing to cultures and how it interacts with countries, pops and characters.

Before that however I would like to introduce the new Pop Type that the Menander update will bring.

Meet the Nobles
popsinlobby.png

In the Menander Update we will be adding a new Pop Type at the top of the societal hierarchy. In Rome these would be the Patrician class, but Nobles are by no means unique to Roman society.
We will likely expand on what Nobles do in the future but for now each Noble will produce the same amount of Commerce as a great number of Citizens, meaning that if they are happy they could bring in quite a bit of gold.

Nobles will however, be very hard to please, with a base pop happiness of -10%, and rare with a base desired ratio of 0 in all territories except country capitals.

noblespolitical.png

The happiness of a Noble pop also impacts unrest much more than that of the other pop types, meaning that you may want to consider importing expensive luxuries like gems or precious metals to keep them happy. The Court building will also now increase the desired ratio and happiness of Nobles.

unhappynobles.png

On start not many Nobles exist in the world , the ones that do will be spread out in capitals and to some extent in the former Persian & Argead Empire.

Cultural Happiness & Cultural Integration

Up until now the only way for a country in Imperator to rule a large and diverse empire has been to culturally assimilate the vast majority of pops under your control. This is in stark contrast to most empires in the real world (perhaps with the notable exception of Rome itself) where multi-ethnic empires where often the norm and instead chose to integrate the various conquered groups into the power structures in their society.

In the Menander update a system for integrating cultures will be added, as well as a system of bestowing Civic rights on the pops of a culture - regulating how high pops of that culture can promote. If civic rights are at ‘Citizen’, or ‘Noble’ level, all pops of that culture will be treated as a part of your own state culture. The price for this in the short term will be destabilizing the state, and the long term cost a permanently lower happiness for all state culture and integrated culture pops.

culture_ui.png

While this feature is in the process of implementation we can still offer this mockup of what we want the future interface to look like. :)

Civic Rights & Cultural Happiness

In the Menander each culture inside your country will have an individual Civic Right set. This right can be set to any of the pop types in the game (Slave, Tribesman, Freeman, Citizen or Noble) and will control the highest level a pop of the given culture is allowed to promote.
Default right (ie the rights of newly acquired cultures) will start set at freemen level but can be set to either Freemen, Slaves or Tribesmen by the player. Existing pops that are above their allowed status will in time demote to the highest pop type allowed for their culture.

Changing civic rights of a culture will have a one time cost of Political Influence but more importantly it will impact the Cultural Happiness of that culture.

Cultural Happiness

Together with the re-imagining of Integrated Cultures in the Archimedes update we will remove the concept of blanket wrong culture happiness and wrong culture group happiness.
Instead, every country will have a happiness value for each culture in the game, and will have to manage the happiness of its subjects as a group.

Cultural Happiness will start out similar to the old system but over time through your actions these this will change on an individual culture basis, and will also be affected by the Civic Right that a culture is given in your country.

While you will be able to interact with the happiness of the cultures in your country through events and by granting them privileges through decisions and the like the most significant impact on cultural happiness will be the Civic Rights of a culture both in itself, as pops promote or demote (since pops have different base happiness ratings) but also as the pops and characters of the culture as a whole reacts to the rights it is given (or has taken away).

Integrated Cultures
Cultural Happiness is not the only thing in the Menander update that will regulate the happiness of the cultures in your country. The game will also make a distinction between those cultures that are “integrated” and those that are not.
An Integrated culture is a culture that has the civic rights to promote to Citizens or Nobles, this makes that culture part of the elite in your country.
Each integrated culture will reduce the State Culture Happiness by 5% and exempt all Pops of that culture from cultural assimilation completely.

Since they are considered part of your State Culture, Pops from Integrated Cultures will also get the Happiness modifier that your State Culture pops get - this means that for each culture you integrate you dilute the extra happiness that your state culture enjoys.

Gaining new Integrated Cultures
In order for a culture to be granted Citizen or Noble Rights it needs to first make up a sizable part of the total population in your country. Unlike the effect of changing civic rights for a culture normally integration is not instant. Instead progress will build up over time (with the total time being dependent on the number of pops in your country of the culture) and as long as integration is in progress you will suffer a negative stability penalty.

On the road to integration you will also run into events that pose you with choices relating to the integration of the new culture. You could be asked to take in a new Great family from this culture, to adopt one of their deities, or to make concessions of some sort.

Integrated cultures can also be lost - at a very high cost to cultural happiness.

Related Changes
In order to accommodate the changes we are doing to how happiness works in regards to cultures we will be making some related changes. Base assimilation of culture will be reduced sharply (similar to how we did the same for religious conversion in the Archimedes update), and we will also be splitting up some cultures and culture groups in the world.

These are the biggest changes to the culture setup in the update:

The Celtic culture group has been broken into a Gallic and a Panonian group.
gallic.png

Persian Culture Group will be split into 3 new groups: Iranian, Anatolian and Caucasian.
iranian.png

The Nilotic Culture Group has been renamed to Egyptian, with 3 subcultures in it.
egypt.png

Scythian culture has been split up.
scythian.png

Lastly a new Pracyan group has been broken out of the eastern part of the Aryan culture group in India based around the countries using the eastern indo-aryan court dialects. A new Atavi culture has also been added for the tribal peoples in the east-central inland.

aryan.png

That was all for today. We hope that these changes taken together will let you interact with the people of your country in a more interesting and believable way, and that the Menander update will bring an end to the rule that all great empires must be mono-cultural ones in Imperator. This is however just the first of the diaries on this new update, more will follow in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
  • 110Like
  • 70Love
Reactions:
Those changes look great. I especially like the introduction of nobles and citizen rights. I believe that I:R can become a game better than even CK2 with the given amount of time.

Any update on the no woman issue though?

Do you plan to add more pop types (like farmers or fishermen or gladiators) in future updates?

• 22Like
Reactions:
Great, but can I get my "show only dev responses" button back please?
Coming to a DD thread is going to be a significantly worse experience now.

• 11Like
Reactions:
Interesting changes. How do you make sure people do not kill all of their nobles? I feel they must have some positives.

They genuinely do have the potential to generate a lot more wealth than other pop types. If you invest a bit of time in getting their ratio and happiness up.
There also aren't many at start, and you will mostly get more of them by actively increasing their ratio, so they are in some ways an as big a problem as you let them become (alternatively you could see it as something you can invest in for good returns should you choose to do so).

Of course wrong religion nobles do exist in the countries you might conquer, those you will likely have to decide on if you want to accept or demote, because they will cause trouble if you let them.

• 4Like
Reactions:
They genuinely do have the potential to generate a lot more wealth than other pop types. If you invest a bit of time in getting their ratio and happiness up.
There also aren't many at start, and you will mostly get more of them by actively increasing their ratio, so they are in some ways an as big a problem as you let them become (alternatively you could see it as something you can invest in for good returns should you choose to do so).

Of course wrong religion nobles do exist in the countries you might conquer, those you will likely have to decide on if you want to accept or demote, because they will cause trouble if you let them.

But how much do we want this wealth? Money is already ridiculously easy to get and it quickly spirals out of control.

So what is the point for nobles right now exactly?

• 1Like
Reactions:
This all looks good.

Though I am curious why the name Sahidic over Egyptian or Coptic?

Egyptian is split in 3. Sahidic is the name we are currently using for Upper Egyptian culture.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Is the primary culture happiness debuff based on the percentage of your integrated cultures that is made up of your primary culture?
I'm just thinking of Lambert's comment in his video on the previous dev diary about how there is a danger with there being a few must-picks for integrated cultures, due to them being the larger culture groups.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I noticed you made additions to the nubian culture group.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If we can take in Great Families from new cultures, does this mean that the limit for Great families has been scrapped? Or a minor family mechanics has been added?

• 4Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
This looks a massive improvement in respect to the current handling of cultures by Imperator. But I have some questions about the new system.
First one: how the game manages cultures that are in the same group (Roman, Samnites, Etruscans, Umbrians etc.) compared to those that belongs to another (Romans compared to Greeks or Celts).
The second one is how pops that share the same religion (like Romans and Greeks) interacts when one is the dominant culture and one not compared to ones that are different both by religion and cultures (like Romans and Celts or Germans)?

• 6Like
Reactions:
Base assimilation of culture will be reduced sharply (similar to how we did the same for religious conversion in the Archimedes update)

Looking forward to this, not a fan of being forced to mindlessly assimilate cultures everywhere.

Suggestion: Make the governor assimilation/conversion policies boost speed, not add base. This makes sources of base speed very rare, and makes temples and theaters very valuable as the only non-event based way of increasing base speed. This means that you will be able to convert cities (if you invest in them), but converting the countryside will always be a slow task. I've played with this modded in myself, and it really makes culture conversion an interesting challenge.

On the modding front- does this mean that cultures will now be a scope? You can add happiness modifiers to a culture scope within your country? If so, that is fantastic news. I do hope we get all the versions of culture modifiers made available- local_pop_happyness, country_pop_happyness, local_integrated_pop_happyness, local_wrong_culture_pop_happyness etc, in both local, country and possibly now culture scope. Right now some of those are only local, or only country, and it is sad.

• 8Like
Reactions:
I was so waiting for these changes. New cultures, culture interactions (integration) and vassal interaction. This gonna be the best update thus far, at least for me. Cheers <3

• 2Like
Reactions:
Thank you for this. The culture changes look quite good, but it's the introduction of nobles that really fascinates me. Although you don't mention it directly, you must be planning for disgruntled nobles to be capable of fomenting regime changes like we saw in the Catiline Conspiracy in Rome.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Since Nobles add unrest, but are primarily in your capital, does this mean that with the revolt rework coming it is possible for the capital province to revolt?

Reactions: