Imperator: Rome Developer Diary - 1st of June 2020

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Arheo

Game Director - Hearts of Iron
Paradox Staff
Feb 13, 2018
Greetings all!

Before @Trin Tragula continues with a further look at the Cultural Integration feature, I’d like to inform you of the accompanying release to the 1.5 Menander update - the Epirus Content Pack.

Now, for those of you with long memories, you’ll remember that the Epirus pack was something we offered as a pre-order bonus to those eager to get their hands on the game. There’s been noticeable demand from those of you who missed the opportunity to purchase this post-launch, so we’ve decided to make this available for purchase.

Given the progress development over the last year or so, we’ve ended up with a lot more interesting things we can add to content packs, so I decided that we’d augment the Epirus pack with a series of new mission chains.

@Chopmist has been secreted away in his laboratory creating these for you, and will lead you through them in detail next week!

As a final note, I’ll confirm that those of you who pre-ordered the game and received the Epirus pack last April, will receive the new missions without having to purchase any new content.

Now back to @Trin Tragula and Culture!

So since we last wrote about the upcoming overhaul for culture in the Menander Update we have been hard at work implementing our ideas. Today I can show you more on how things have been shaping up and what you can expect from some of the things mentioned only in passing in the last diary.

cultureinterface.png

As we talked about in the first Diary about our rework of the Cultural relationship you have with your pops the most important thing that the Menander update brings is that a culture will now have an associated Civic Right - regulating what pop type the pops of that culture can at most promote to. Pops can exist above their allowed level but in these cases they can only demote.
Additionally the number of pops that demote when land changes hands, and the speed of assimilation have both been reduced.

integrated_tooltip.png

Additionally, if a culture has the Civic Right that allows promotion to Citizens or Nobels, it is considered an integrated culture and will make use of the same Happiness as your country’s main culture does.
Changing Civic Right is normally instant (but the promotion or demotion of pops to match their new right can take quite some time) but when integrating a culture it takes a longer period of time your stability decreases. Integration will also prevent you with some choices (events) for choices and challenges that the integration process itself entails.
Each integrated culture reduces the total happiness for all integrated cultures (including your own primary culture) this means that you may want to limit yourself in how many cultures you give equal rights as Nobles or Citizens.

Cultural Decisions:
integrated_decisions.png

What are Cultural Decisions?
Cultural Decisions are essentially Rights and Privileges that you can grant to individual cultures in your country. As a rule these cost stability to enact and will change the happiness, output or individual pop happiness for pops of a specific culture. There will also be an associated negative national modifier for a limited time, during which your society is adjusting to the newly granted right or privilege. During this adjustment period you cannot grant the same right to another culture.

There are 3 groups of decisions, depending on if they selected culture is your own primary culture, an integrated culture or if it is a non-integrated culture.
Which decisions make sense to take for each culture will depend on the circumstances in your campaign. You may find that granting privileges is mostly worth doing for the larger and more influential cultures in your country, while some others only make sense for the smaller ones.

As always numbers should be taken with a grain of salt since balancing is an ongoing process while we play with the new features.

decisionsnonintegrated.png

Non-Integrated cultures will be the vast majority of peoples you control for any country of reasonable size.
Cultural rights was not a binary thing in the era covered by the game. Some peoples would often have different rights than others. The decisions for non-integrated cultures range from some that let you regulate what you get out of their pops (Right to Enter Legal Contracts) to those that increase their happiness (Right of Inheritance).
There are also some that can be useful for actually assimilating another culture, such as founding a settlement in their lands or granting rights of intermarriage.

integrated_decisions.png

Integrated cultures are those that have risen to almost the same status as your country’s primary culture. These are part of the ruling classes but rather than having a long history in your country they have been integrated through the process described earlier.
Since integrated cultures are rarer, and more closely tied to your state, the decisions they have access to are a bit more powerful in what they do.

self_rule.png

Examples of decisions for integrated cultures range from idealizing their culture, or employing them as administrators to rule other cultures in their group (reducing their efficiency but also increasing the happiness for those they help you rule), you can also grant one of their communities self rule as a Client City State (or feudatory).

primarydecisions.png

The Primary culture is the one that your country’s ruling class all came from originally. For most countries this is the culture that is the most numerous at start, though there are some notable exceptions among the great empires, especially among the Greek Successor Kingdoms.
Primary culture decisions tend to have a wider effect than those for other cultures. Here you can decide to do things like Abolish the Census Tax for all Citizens and Nobles, permanently increasing Primary and Integrated Culture Happiness while also reducing the output of your elite.
Some decisions also have a secondary effect that affects the characters in your country, such as making trials more likely to succeed against characters that are not of your primary culture, or allowing adoption and the rise of families from outside of your primary culture (this is now off by default).

UI.png

As you have likely seen in the prior screenshots, the culture interface itself which was just a mockup in the last diary has now been worked on quite a bit. It aims to give a good overview of all you need to know to handle the cultures within your country.
It allows sorting and filtering all cultures, shows the current pop type right as well as the current pop type distribution within any culture in your country.
You can also see and enact cultural decisions, or change pop type right.

culturemapmode.png

Being able to see where each culture or religion is dominant has been possible since release via their respective map modes. But seeing exactly where one culture starts and the other stops, or where there are large minorities of a culture is something that the map mode up until now has not supported very well.
In the Menander Update we have added functionality to show only one selected culture, highlighting all places where pops of that culture exists in minority as well as where they are dominant.
This will allow you to better see where pops of a culture or religion exists and can help guide your decisions for how to deal with that culture in terms of Cultural Decisions, as well as for planning military expansion, appointment of governors, etc.
In the culture interface there is also a button on each culture in your country open this map mode with that culture selected. This way you can even see the location of minority cultures that are not dominant in any part of the map :)

carthagewhole.png

Apart from its gameplay use I find the culture interface and map mode useful because it shows all the minorities that exist around the world at any point in time for various historical reasons. We have also taken this opportunity to once again update minorities worldwide, and make the starting map a more interesting place.

carthage_minorities.png

Here is what Carthage looks like with different cultures select in the culture map mode.

That was all I had to talk about today about the changes coming to cultures and how you deal with them. :) The system is still being tweaked and worked upon, but to us the world already feels more alive.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 102Like
  • 38Love
Reactions:
Nice!

I do have a question: how much negative primary culture happiness will we suffer for each integrated culture? And for how Long? My worry is that it will stack up so much that after 1 or 2 cultural integration no one would care about the new system or try to integrate their cultures.

Reactions:
Nice!

I do have a question: how much negative primary culture happiness will we suffer for each integrated culture? And for how Long? My worry is that it will stack up so much that after 1 or 2 cultural integration no one would careabout the new system.

Currently we have it at 5% per integrated culture. With the baseline for primary/other/other culture group now being:

Primary +30%
Same Group +10%
Other Groups 0%

Base happiness for pops has been tweaked to compensate for this.
Over time there are also some more modifiers that you can gain for primary culture happiness, essentially increasing your ability to integrate cultures. One of these is the tax exemption decision I mention in the diary.

• 7Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Happy to hear you're adding extras to the Epirus pack! Also quite happy with the UI, though I understand it might not be the final form. That final functionality is probably my favourite though, as someone who primarily 'role plays', I love being able to see where my minorities end up! Yes, gameplay wise it might not add much but flavour wise its icing on the cake.

I can see a lot of usefulness in those Cultural decisions, not just in the game's future but also in modding which makes me really happy. Great update!

Oh, quick edit:

Will there be the option to maybe have a decision that moves specific cultures to your cities, say for example to entice Syrians or Hebrews to move to your cities more?

And on the more indious side, can we do a Nabû-kudurrī-uṣur II and forcefully deport specific pop types of certain cultures around out empire to weaken them?

Reactions:
Very good, what about integrations efficiency? As Roman is more easy to ingrate other italics?
Another point is: continue to work for a clean interface, probably is one the weak points if we compare this game to the other paradox games.

Reactions:
Good to see Epirus content pack gets some love. Tbh didnt expect you would update and make it free for previous owners :). I just hope there will be missions for magna gracia, macedon, greece and potential even north africa with carthage like pyrrhus planned but could never do

Reactions:
Great DD and changes...and appreciating creating an improved Epirus DLC ! :)

• 4Like
Reactions:
Very interesting update, Imperator is really improving with each major update.

Integrating a culture of your own group how is different from integrating one of a non related one? For example, integrating Samnites when you play Rome will have less negative impact than integrating Greeks or Gauls? And there is some advantage in integrating pops of different culture but belonging to the same religion (for example Italic and Greek cultures) or not?

Last edited:
Reactions:
Great DD! Looking forward for this update more and more!

Out of curiosity would integration of people within the same culture group or having the same religion be slightly cheaper or less punishing?

From the last image you posted, I didn’t really see any significant difference between the provinces that are majority massylian and minority massylian. Have you considered adding a small graphical indicator to distinguish between them, like stripes across the minority culture territories?

Reactions:
Very interesting. I think a lot will come down to the proper balance of these systems. Managing your cultures should be a fairly painful process with no easy or correct decisions. People are happiest when they're unhappy. Unintegrated cultures should have significant happiness penalties, integrating a culture should incur significant happiness penalties.

Will you be doing anything to fix the lack of women to marry in this update? The AI is so fast at marrying them off that pausing the day they turn 16 isn't even guaranteed. Monarchies are pretty broken right now. You need to either imprison/execute husbands to be able to arrange a marriage or have to rely on adoption to keep your ruler family going.

There's also the bug where you arrange marriage at 15 and the AI will still marry her off at 16.

• 4Like
Reactions: