Imperator: Rome Developer Diary #110 - Egypt Mission Trees

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
gods that did not belong to either Hellenic or Egyptian religion originally, but were meant to become a natural part of both.

Does this mean deities can now be of 2 religions at once? Or are they still just part of 1, and thus not granting happiness to pops that worshipped them just as hard, but are off a different culture (the current way)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Unfortunately, this type of event is too specific for a mission (what happens if Keraunos dies before you take up the mission?). That said, there might be ways around it... ;)

Event (chain) about the family "dispute" between Ptolemaios I., Berenice, Euryidice, Keraunos and Philadelphos confirmed? :):D

• 2Like
Reactions:
Pyrrhus and Ptolemy that still only two people who move War Elephant by boat. It obvious very hard to do and most people not do it. Hannibal not do it he march whole army through Spain, Gaul, and the Alps.

There's also Cassander mentioned in the wikipedia article "War elephant". In paragraph 2.3 Persia and Hellenic Period at the end, it is mentioned that also Casssander did it:

"Those elephants were subsequently taken by Cassander and transported, partly by sea, to other battle-fields in Greece. It is assumed that Cassander constructed the first elephant-transport sea-vessels."

Transporting elephants by boat could be done but it was probably rare and only those who could afford investing the time and effort required could do it.

Thank you for the reply!

No Chremonides, I'm afraid, but the "spirit" and goals of the war will be there.
That is unfortunate. Perhaps change the name of the mission?

Of course, you will not be asked to do something you can't do because you don't have the right pack!
And this IS the elephant in the room.

The missions you (and @Snow Crystal last week) have presented look good, but adding them into a new DLC will mean that:
  • Nation-specific flavor for the Diadochi would be split across 2 DLC (Unit models, event chains etc. in Hellenistic world, Missions in Heirs of Alexander).
  • people who want the legion honors and buildable great wonders but don’t like mission trees (there are some out there, check the discussion at r/paradoxplaza) or don’t want unique Diadochi stuff won’t be able to switch them off.
Magna Graecia and Epirus include all national flavor for the relevant countries in one flavor pack.

Which is similar to HoI IV DLC).

A notable part of negative reviews for I:R stated that the game was made bland deliberately so PDX can sell it piecemeal via DLC.

Placing these mission trees in Heirs of Alexander would mean these critics were RIGHT.

Therefore, Paradox should reconsider the content of the upcoming pack:

Put the missions into Hellenistic world and put something else (NOT nation-specific) into heirs of Alexander instead.

Pyrrhus and Ptolemy that still only two people who move War Elephant by boat.
That’s not true. The Carthaginians shipped their elephants to Spain many times and Hannibal got 40 elephants as reinforcements by sea. His decded to march across the Alps for strategic reasons, NOT because he was unable to transport elephants by boat.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Does this mean deities can now be of 2 religions at once? Or are they still just part of 1, and thus not granting happiness to pops that worshipped them just as hard, but are off a different culture (the current way)
Hmm that would be interesting, if the gods of Egyptian and Hellenic religious syncretism would make happiness for both pops it would be something incredible ... but I think this is difficult ( more who knows ), maybe they consider both pops as a primary religion thus avoiding conversion from kemetic pops to Hellenic, but converting any other pop that is not Hellenic or kemetic to Helenic? ( this is easier in theory but I would really like pop to have 50% become Hellenic or 50% become Kemetic but I don't know if it's possible )

Nation-specific flavor for the Diadochi would be split across 2 DLC (Unit models, event chains etc. in Hellenistic world, Missions in Heirs of Alexander).

There has been no official word about the relationship of HW and HoA even though it has been asked about this week and last week. (The closest was this week when it was mentioned that the Museion decision was integrated with Egyptian missions - but this doesn't confirm or deny a separate or joint relationship with the DLC). I am still hoping they do something like with Epirus where those who purchased already would get this DLC.

people who want the legion honors and buildable great wonders but don’t like mission trees (there are some out there, check the discussion at r/paradoxplaza) or don’t want unique Diadochi stuff won’t be able to switch them off.

There's also been no official world that Vitruvius is part of HoA. We might have 2 DLC (Vitruvius & HoA) come out in time for 2.0 for all we know.

Reactions:
I am desperately hoping that the Thracian flavor will involve the marriage to Arsinoe and the fate of Agathokles and the role Keraunos played in all of it.
Lysimachus will definitely be the hardest to do a historic mission tree set for, so it wouldn't surprise me.

At least with the Antipatrids (who managed to last even less time than Lysimachus) you can crib from Antigonid Macedon. Although I hope we at least have an event or something for Macedon about Cassander's crazy brother Alexarchus who founded a utopian commune with its own secret language.

Reactions:
I feel many of these are to conquest minded considering historically the Ptolemaics were successful because they didn't waste to much resources in trying to retake all of Alexander's empire. Should be more mission trees focusing on limited conquest (not putting greece and the islands in the same one, or Africa and Sicily) and internal development.

Nice Egypt definetly deserves unique missions.

I guess (atleast) another 3 weeks of dd's then if we do a diadochi a week. (macedon/thrace/antigonids left)
Are they that unique though aside from the Macedonian pharaoh thing they feel very much like fairly generic conquer Alexander's empire missions, albeit centered around Egypt. I kind of like the missions better as they are, grabbing one region at the time and developing it as part of the mission tree. Instead of commiting to one massive tree taking us from Palestine to Thrace.
Please rename egypt to dynastic name. And change egypt color to yellow or black with golden.
Or lapis lazuli blue with gold letters.
And yes Ptolmaic kingdom but also with the option of changing it to egypt later.
Please make the Jewish pops more resistant to conversion to Hellenism or Kemetism than in previous patches, as a religion Judaism is supposed to survive the ancient age, even if Judea is annexed by its neighbors.

Also, it will still be possible to abandon Greek culture in favor of Egyptian one?
I wish there would be a unique hellenic culture for egypt. I am tired of seeing it become Macedonian.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Thanks for the update. Tbh. missions for me is not the most important tthing. somehow missions never really click for me and it goes a little bit against the sandbox where I can take a Brittish tribe, migrate them to southern Spain and make it a Costa blanca protokingdom I prefer.

That being said the coming update has plenty of really good features strengthening that and the missions do seem expansive and well thought out.

edit: and just to keep pushing this: Egypt should be yellow, Seleucids gray. I don't know who came up with this idea but considering PDS still refuses to make Prussia Blue in EU4 I gave up on hoping that nation colours will ever be well thought out but I can't help myself to complain.

I agree with you on everything. It would be good if we could edit any country color in game, even having pre-game color sets.

I also don't care about missions, but I'm excited to try again Imperator once the changes in UI and gameplay come out.

The Egyptian additions look great. I’m a bit late to the party but I love roleplaying, and I like keeping a purely egyptian religion and adopting egyptian culture; will it be possible to do all those cool missions if you culture flip in that decision and will you still be able to do that?