Imperator: Rome Developer Diary #110 - Egypt Mission Trees

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Areysak

Game Designer - Crusader Kings III
Paradox Staff
Apr 17, 2017
Hi everybody!

It is a pleasure for me to make my “official debut” on the forums by presenting some of my work in the past months! This is Claudia, from the Content Design team on Imperator: Rome.

As you might have guessed, there is plenty of Diadochi-themed goodies in the incoming Heirs of Alexander DLC. Today, we are focusing on Ptolemaic Egypt. While not as adventurous or glamorous as his direct rivals, Ptolemaios I founded the most successful and renowned of the Diadochi kingdoms, which lasted until 30 BC when Ptolemaios’ last descendant - the famous Cleopatra VII - was defeated and her kingdom annexed by the Romans.

The four new missions from the DLC will accompany you through the greatest achievements and most challenging times of the Ptolemies, focusing on the early kings (Ptolemies I to III), encouraging you to emulate and even surpass their successes. Each mission focuses on one side of Ptolemaic politics: the conflict with the Antigonids first and the Seleukids later in Palestine and Phoenicia, the constant menace from the neighboring people of Cyrenaica and Kush, the dominion over the eastern Mediterranean, and the economic and cultural development of Egypt and, in particular, of its capital, Alexandria.

Antigonids and Seleukids - The Eastern Border
1606744554304.png

1606744588059.png

Palestine and Phoenicia have always been the natural direction of Egyptian expansion - just think that the famous battle of Kadesh of pharaoh Ramesses II was fought almost a thousand years before our start date for this same area!
The Ptolemies contended this area to the Antigonids first and the Seleukids later for centuries, with alternating fortunes. In this mission, you will lead Egypt to the limits of its historical expansion in Syria and beyond while facing the specific challenges and reaping the unique benefits these lands have to offer.
For instance, Judea was a turbulent subject for their Hellenistic overlords of this period (e.g., the Maccabean revolt against the Seleukids in 167-160 BC); however, if Egypt succeeds in improving your relationship with the locals, you will gain a juicy historical event chain.
Who can guess what these ambassadors have to offer?
1606744627103.png

Unruly neighbors - Greater Empire

1606744654358.png

1606744672282.png

As you can see, this mission has three main directions: on one side, you are encouraged to strengthen your position on the Red Sea by sending explorers, expanding ports, and conquering trading posts, which will force you to deal with Egypt’s historical nemesis, the Kush. On the opposite side, you have the unstable western border with Cyrenaica; despite being mostly of Greek culture, the area was hardly integrated into the Ptolemaic kingdom and offered a naturally restless playground for disloyal princes of the court. Before you freak out: yes - there were already some events dealing with Magas’ revolt; yes - they have been expanded upon and integrated into the mission; no - the previous events have not been paywalled. Instead, the central path is a cheeky challenge: can you do better than Alexander himself and set up a western branch of the Macedonian empire?

On a different topic, did you know that any attempt by the Ptolemies to breed African elephants for their army failed, so they were forced to capture wild elephants where they lived naturally, in modern-days Eritrea and Sudan?
1606744697461.png

Modernizing Egypt - The Macedonian Pharaoh
1606744721897.png

1606744735291.png

This mission is entirely focused on developing your starting provinces and echoes the internal politics of the early Ptolemies. The city of Alexandria is the main focus of the tree; founded as a beacon of Greekness in Egypt by Alexander, the city was transformed into the Hellenistic world’s true capital by Ptolemy I and his descendants. By developing the city’s infrastructure, investing in festivals, building wonders, and introducing new cults, you will grow your capital into the finest city in the world! On the other hand, the Ptolemies did not neglect the chora (i.e., everything outside the cities) - and you won’t either - by investing in the colonization and reclamation of the lands along the Nile.
Egypt was the home of a very ancient and well-rooted religion so, among the Ptolemies’ politics of integration between the locals and the new Hellenic élite, a place of honor was held by the introduction of syncretic cults: gods that did not belong to either Hellenic or Egyptian religion originally, but were meant to become a natural part of both. To reflect the gradual and incidental nature of such innovations, these new cults will be introduced by missions (such as below) and follow-up events.
Can you guess who the mysterious god is?
1606744764962.png

Sea Wars - Thalassocracy
1606744785453.png

1606744801689.png

Finally, to the last mission! Its starting point is given by Ptolemy’s interests and challenges from our starting date to his death. Still, the mission itself pushes the boundaries of Ptolemaic achievements and encourages you to answer the question: what would have happened if Ptolemy’s maritime politics had been entirely successful and he had won the race to sea control against Demetrios? Secure historical Ptolemaic bases, challenge the other Diadochi in Greece, and become the eastern Mediterranean’s hegemon to find out!

There was no love lost between Ptolemaios and Antigonos...
1606744824672.png

On this note, I’m concluding my Dev Diary. I hope you are looking forward to leading the Ptolemies to greatness and will have fun with these new missions!

Cheers!

• 130Like
  • 32Love
Reactions:
Thanks for the update. Tbh. missions for me is not the most important tthing. somehow missions never really click for me and it goes a little bit against the sandbox where I can take a Brittish tribe, migrate them to southern Spain and make it a Costa blanca protokingdom I prefer.

That being said the coming update has plenty of really good features strengthening that and the missions do seem expansive and well thought out.

edit: and just to keep pushing this: Egypt should be yellow, Seleucids gray. I don't know who came up with this idea but considering PDS still refuses to make Prussia Blue in EU4 I gave up on hoping that nation colours will ever be well thought out but I can't help myself to complain.

• 27Like
  • 6Haha
Reactions:
Who can guess what these ambassadors have to offer?
So what you're saying is, it will be possible to convert to Judaism through this mission?

Reactions:
Egypt was the home of a very ancient and well-rooted religion so, among the Ptolemies’ politics of integration between the locals and the new Hellenic élite, a place of honor was held by the introduction of syncretic cults: gods that did not belong to either Hellenic or Egyptian religion originally, but were meant to become a natural part of both.
Can we finally have cults of Serapis, Zeus Ammon etc, that count as being both kemetic and hellenic? It irks me to no end that they're counted as hellenic gods and ruin your religious integration as kemetic Egypt.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Nice Egypt definetly deserves unique missions.

I guess (atleast) another 3 weeks of dd's then if we do a diadochi a week. (macedon/thrace/antigonids left)

Reactions:
Thanks for the update. Tbh. missions for me is not the most important tthing. somehow missions never really click for me and it goes a little bit against the sandbox where I can take a Brittish tribe, migrate them to southern Spain and make it a Costa blanca protokingdom I prefer.

That being said the coming update has plenty of really good features strengthening that and the missions do seem expansive and well thought out.

edit: and just to keep pushing this: Egypt should be yellow, Seleucids gray. I don't know who came up with this idea but considering PDS still refuses to make Prussia Blue in EU4 I gave up on hoping that nation colours will ever be well thought out but I can't help myself to complain.

Egypt should be yellow, but I like the current colour for the Seleucids. And Carthage should be white btw :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Very interesting.
The only possible problem that I see is related to the fact that many missions trees are quite long. Will we have the possibility to switch without penalties from a tree to another one in case we want to, or will we be forced to either complete a tree or take a penalty in order to pick another one? It feels weird to me that, if I want to conquer naval supremacy, I can not, for example, deal with the Judea problem by exploiting the events you designed.

Reactions:
Seleukid missions: Can you manage to redo what seleukids did historically?

Ptolemaic missions: Can you do better than the ptolemies?

I think the heir of Alexander matter is settled :p.

That said it seems all fine and interesting missions, all those expansion into Africa will let us play a seleukid lead Egypt :D.

• 9Haha
Reactions:
Can we expect a greater variety of generic missions in the future? I love seeing these unique ones, but it's a bit stale once you have done these missions and run into a loop of the same two generic missions after your expansion. Even more significant for countries with no unique missions.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Seleukid missions: Can you manage to redo what seleukids did historically?

Ptolemaic missions: Can you do better than the ptolemies?

I think the heir of Alexander matter is settled :p.

That said it seems all fine and interesting missions, all those expansion into Africa will let us play a seleukid lead Egypt :D.
Bactria! Here is hoping they get a mission tree. :D