Imperator - Menander Reveal 20/04/27

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How will subjects work with missions, I haven't tried it but I get a feeling you miss out on a lot of the rewards for missions if you hold the provinces indirectly. Which kind of sucks since the Romans wer ebig on having client states who they then later inherited, or integrated after they tried to break free.
Also a lot of Roman conflicts were proxy wars and wars fought over proxies. Consider how long the Romans and Persians fought over Armenia, while in game one of them would just annex it immedeatly.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Minor request on subjects:
Can each vassal type have separete line or list?
Reason: we can have a lot of vassals, and it would be nice to identify how many are client states (they take relation slot), who is tributari (not join war) or feudatory (will join war).
Right now they are just grouped together, and it is easier to search find state rather than look on list.

Pretty sure the rework is removing the different types. Not 100% convinced yet that it is a good move, but if they can smooth out the degrees of integration from Governor-Province out to loose Tributary I'll be happy. I suspect that the different levels on their linear path will relate to War obligations for each side. Hopefully the concept of Relation Slots is phased out at some point.

A big question for the client state overhaul is will they ever actually be a preferred option? At the moment it seems it's never really a good idea to be a vassal or bother to hold vassals, you're better off with annexation (as in most pdx games). It would be a shame to overhaul the system just to have it never really be used. I'd even be tempted to see how forcing every conquest to travel through at least a part of the integration process before annexation would work in this era.

This update seems really promising. Please remember to properly tweak the cultural assimilation rate to be similar to the historical one, compared to the actual one with large parts of the map that are completely assimilated to the ruling nation culture in less than a century.

It's weird to think that in the lifetime of like 2 of my rulers, literally an entire massive region of the world culturally assimilated and none of the cultures I conquered even exist anymore. An isolated pop here and there.

I like these ideas a lot! Now for an Imperial government form where you can name your successor.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I hope a patch called Menander will finally include a formable indo-greek tag. ;) The changes to culture alone call for a new Bactria campaign.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I wonder if coop-nations could be a thing. Playing different families inside the republic or maybe satraps in the seleucid empire.
It looks awesome inside my head. Dividing scarce resources between your friends to manage and proctect your realm against enemy hords and invaders.
Maybe planning some coordinate attacks together.

These changes seem quite interesting, and will hopefully make the Bactria, Seleucid, Parthia, Maurya area even more enjoyable, and future updates will probably hone in on that area. I am curious though, if we'll see anything for the likes of the Samnites and Etruscans, who would historically the only serious native competition to Roman domination of Italy but in game usually get rolled over.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Looks cool and looking forward to try it out. :)

Request: Can you add some potencial tags in places where are little? Especially Selucids, Egypt and Mayar.
I was at war with Selucids, but wanted just one province, so thought about releasing some states, but there were none. Which is very different to fight against Carthage or Rome.
Also can you add button to transfer multiple territories to vassal. So in worst case i could eat the AE and make proper vassal myself.

Other request: If i release subject could it be other type than client state? Or could there be a button to change vassal type.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
So instead of creating an actual system, you again choose create a bland, abstract ticker mechanic. God, I wish Paradox had some actual competition.

And what would you do? And do remember to tell us how you would code something better into the game, because development is more than coming up with high falutin' concepts. Every mechanic in the game or any GS game is an abstraction of real events.

IR isn't a living, breathing world, it is just a game.

Reactions:
one thing i really want to see added at some point is syncretic cultures. i'm pretty sure we eventually saw romano-gallic/african cultures emerge by the end of the game. it would also make sense for certain cultures like the greeks to have a large resistance to cultural conversion. one other thing that springs to mind is giving cities a boost to cultural conversion, but giving the countryside a nerf. i think there's historical precedent for those changes, but correct me if i'm wrong.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Can we also have governmental type featuring satrapies? Eastern states like Seleucids, Parthians and Armenians were all autocratic monarchies and had satrapies. In fact, the satrapial system would enable lower unrest upon the conquest of new provinces, at the same time it gives negative stability buff, and their provincial loyalty depends on stability. This is something unique to the eastern empires and could bring diversity to the game.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Okay cultures and rebellions now.

If you fix the technology & economy together next, I am back in for long hours :D

I only hope the internal affairs became a simple but meaninful politics battleground, not a micromanagement routine. For what i read the first seems likely and i am happy for that. Can't wait to persuade and kill to forge a path of stability and progress for the nation! :p

If all this has a similar impact to what we got in CK2 i will be on the moon :D

How will the new limitations on pop types by culture interact with migration and annexation? Will there be instant class changes, or just penalties applied?

I can see that mechanic being the driving force behind shifting the balance between tributaries and annexation. If foreign cultures are going to be significantly more productive by existing under a state that tolerates their culture more, it could make sense for a conqueror to siphon the fruits of home rule. Then as the overlord works to integrate the culture, the efficient move is to integrate the foreigners into own territory.

I really hope this is the design objective of those systems!

So instead of creating an actual system, you again choose create a bland, abstract ticker mechanic. God, I wish Paradox had some actual competition.
I came back to check the forums thinking pdox was genius for banning all critics and seeing only fanboy sycophants agree post after post, then there is this magnificent beauty...

Attachments

• Andy-Dwyer-Shock.gif
    Andy-Dwyer-Shock.gif
    874,8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1Like
Reactions:
One of my gripes about the game is that there's little incentive to play "hisotrically." As Rome I never bother taking Gaul until after Greece or Egypt,since they're poor heathen barbarians, and liable tor revolt.

I'd strongly suggest looking at the basics assimilation and happiness mechanics to make "Romanizing" Gaul more worthwhile- tribesmen shouldnt really care about AE Imho, and should assimilate more quickly. The citizenship mechanics would overlap nicely with this, since presumably it will be much harder to just romanize Greece.

I'd also suggest allowing trespassing on tribal lands to allow historical panic wars, both Hannibal and Rome crossed freely between the southern goulash tribes (Hannibal even fought with several of the on the way to invsding itqly). Fighting Carthage is a PITA since you can't walk to Hispania nor really gain sea dominance (and if you've got control over the waves why not go for Carthage itself).

• 1Like
Reactions:
How will subjects work with missions, I haven't tried it but I get a feeling you miss out on a lot of the rewards for missions if you hold the provinces indirectly. Which kind of sucks since the Romans wer ebig on having client states who they then later inherited, or integrated after they tried to break free.
Also a lot of Roman conflicts were proxy wars and wars fought over proxies. Consider how long the Romans and Persians fought over Armenia, while in game one of them would just annex it immedeatly.
This is another complaint. Feudalizing the italics is counterproductive since you want to romanize italy and found colonia.

• 3Like
Reactions: