• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The problem is that the sprites are really being made for Civilization 3, not Darkest Hour, and Imperator is making a lot more sprites than we need for DH. For example, the original Italian pack had around 75 different sprites in it, but I only used about 12.

The good news is that Imperator has begun big projects like this before, and he's always completed them, even if takes a long time.

The problem is that Imperator is an Italian !!!

75 different sprites for Italy ???

I wish he was a German !

This way i would have already got the German sprites and i wouldn't care much if i got any Italian sprites in the future !!!;)

Amazing!
Any chance that the work might go further?

I certainly hope so! I'm still waiting for Imperator to release the next part of the pack, though.

Well, just when it was beginning to look like there was no hope, Imperator has released another pack.

It's actually 'the Commonwealth' (Australia, Canada, British Raj, New Zealand and South Africa), but I'm going to see if I can put together a temporary British pack as well (thanks to obvious similarities). This will be replaced when the proper British pack is released.

Of course, it appears that it could be a while before the whole set of packs is ready. Imperator is obviously working at a considerably slower pace than he used to, but like I said, he's never given up on a project.

Well, just when it was beginning to look like there was no hope, Imperator has released another pack.

It's actually 'the Commonwealth' (Australia, Canada, British Raj, New Zealand and South Africa), but I'm going to see if I can put together a temporary British pack as well (thanks to obvious similarities). This will be replaced when the proper British pack is released.

Of course, it appears that it could be a while before the whole set of packs is ready. Imperator is obviously working at a considerably slower pace than he used to, but like I said, he's never given up on a project.

At last ! Better late than never !!!

In the original post I've added links to the first set of sprites converted from Imperator's Commonwealth pack.

This concerns the temporary British pack that I promised to make. Like I said, this is just a stop-gap until the actual British pack is released, and it's likely that most of the sprites will be replaced.

When it comes to the Commonwealth I've decided to release packs for each country in turn.

The temporary British pack gives you an indication of how the packs for the Commonwealth countries will look. You'll notice that this pack doesn't have as many sprites as the Italian one. There were no specific units representing paratroopers, marines, cavalry, etc (although there was a unit representing elite Canadian troops). I would imagine that the true British pack will be more extensive.

The Commonwealth pack did include infantry with different weapons, however, so I decided to include a soldier with a rifle to cover infantry, cavalry and militia; and a soldier with a machine gun (sten gun) to represent the elite units - paratroopers, marines and mountain troops.

All the vehicles apart from motorbikes were present, however - tanks, light tanks, trucks for motorised infantry and vehicles for mechanised infantry. There will be a certain amount of repetition among the Commonwealth units (there was a lack of light tanks, for example), but I will try to make them as diverse as possible.

Having set a template with the Italian pack, I've included units with special symbols for STAND to identify garrisons and HQs. I've also included a soldier with a 'T' symbol to represent the motorised units when not moving. There is an alternative STAND sprite showing a truck, however.

I've included options to download the whole pack in one go or each unit separately. I've also added a link that allows any newcomers to download the entire Italian pack in one go (Darkest Hour only).

Next up will be the Australians.

As with the Italian pack I thought I'd include some brief information about each vehicle.

N7dp1jj.png
The main tank is a Cromwell Mk VI - Cromwell tanks were of the so-called 'cruiser class' and were designed to be very fast and agile on the battlefield. They appear to have been used mainly after D-Day in northwest Europe. Although they tended to be more maneuverable than the heavier German tanks, their armour didn't give them as much protection.

0lbiCxX.png
The light tank is a Stuart M3A1, also known simply as the Light Tank M3. This was actually an American-made tank that was provided to the British and Commonwealth armies under the lend-lease programme (It was also supplied to the Soviet Union). It was first used in North Africa, where some technical problems became apparent. It was also used in the Pacific by the USA, where it fared better against its Japanese opponents than its German ones. It had more of a support role when used in Europe.

F2DYC8a.png
The truck is an AEC Matador. It was introduced in 1939. It was often used to pull heavy guns and other equipment.

t2j5Z2Q.png
The mechanised vehicle was known as a universal carrier or bren-gun carrier, mainly produced by Vickers-Armstrong. It came into service before the war and was widely used in the conflict by Commonwealth forces and was used in all theatres of the war.

Note - Again, I'd like to point out that I'm no expert and that the above is only the result of some brief internet research.

Last edited:
I've found an error in one of the .spr files.

It's for the default Marine unit in the British pack - T-MARINE C-ENG A-STAND

I've fixed the download, so you can either redownload the full download of all British units or the Elite units (depending on what you chose), or you can go to:

Darkest Hour/gfx/map/units

open the T-MARINE C-ENG A-STAND .spr file and change

Bitmap = "T-MARINE C-SAF A-STAND.bmp" into
Bitmap = "T-PARATROOPER C-SAF A-STAND.bmp"

and change

Palette = "WWII-IMP-CS-ENG-INF" into
Palette = "WWII-IMP-CS-SAF-PAR"

Sorry about that.

I've now added Australia to the original post.

You'll notice that many of the units were included in the temporary British pack. This was simply because they were the most suitable for that. As already indicated, the British pack will change, making the Australian pack much more unique.

Next up will be Canada, which will have almost all different units.

xJShhbX.png
The main tank for Australia is a Vickers II Medium tank. It was produced in the inter-war period. It had already begun to be phased out by the British army when the war started, but was used for a longer period by Commonwealth forces.

Last edited:
Very nice. Thanks Chicken Spadge!

The Canadian units have now been added.

Note that this time there is a slightly different unit representing the elite units. This is the Canadian First Special Service Forces.

When it comes to the vehicles, the Canadians appear to have been the most active among the Commonwealth countries in building their own.

HdG2tOd.png
The tank is a Grizzly, which was a Canadian-made vehicle based on the US Sherman. Production began in 1943, but it was stopped when it became apparent that enough Shermans were being produced to cover demand.

X0HGyP5.png
The Canadians made a lot of their own trucks, which were often used by British and other Commonwealth countries. This is a CMP (Canadian Military Pattern) 6x6 Truck.

hUTsySM.png
If the mechanized vehicle looks like a tank without a turret, well that's because that's basically what it is. The Canadians came up with the idea of using tank chassis as the basis for armoured personnel carriers, and decided to call them Kangaroos for some reason. They were produced as of 1944.

Next will be the British Raj units

Last edited:
man these are some nice sprites! now i only wish there were WW1 specific sprites to play with 1914 campaign...

Er...have you seen my sig?

OK, I've now added British Raj units in the original post.

HjiKRrL.png
Imperator's India pack didn't include a main tank, so I borrowed one from the Canadians. It's an M3 Grant. This was an American-made tank provided via lend-lease to British and Commonwealth forces. It was brought into service in 1941. It was well armed with good protection, but was difficult to handle off road. It was replaced when the M4 Sherman became available in large numbers.

ZFXvXw1.png
Just when you thought all the light tanks would be Stuarts, here's a Vickers Mk II Light Tank. This tank began to be produced in 1929 and was already considered to be obsolete by the British army when the war broke out. It was still used in India, however.

rxs87tu.png
This is a CMP Chevrolet truck, another of the Canadian truck designs widely used by British and Commonwealth forces.

Ogd3DzV.png
The mechanised units are using the ACV-IP - Armoured Carrier Wheeled India Pattern, which was an armoured car actually produced in India between 1940-44. It was constructed using a Canadia truck chassis with armoured hulls built by Indian Railways.

New Zealand will be coming up next.

Last edited:
Awesome, can you make for Brazil too? Our equipament was pretty much the american one

Awesome, can you make for Brazil too? Our equipament was pretty much the american one

I'll certainly convert any Brazilian sprites that Imperator makes, but he hasn't produced them yet. He has posted up a preview of a Força Expedicionária Brasileira (Brazilian Expeditionary Force) soldier, so he obviously has at least some plans for Brazil.

Last edited:
I've now added New Zealand units in the original post.

If you look closely you may notice that the New Zealand elite troops, like their Australian counterparts, are using Owen submachine guns. This was an entirely Australian-designed weapon, with the magazine sticking out of the top of the gun.

hFsIRTa.png
The main tank is an M3 Grant, so it's the same as the tank used for British Raj, just a different colour.

BdXLzO8.png
The truck is a Morris CS8. It was first developed in the mid-1930s. It was relatively small and often used for carrying cargo.

The next, and final pack for the time being will be South Africa.

Last edited:
I've now added South African units to the original post.

H9eVPBR.png
The main tank is a Sherman Firefly. It was based on the M4 Sherman, but had a British 17-pounder anti-tank gun. It was viewed as a stop-gap until new British tanks could be produced. It was highly valued as the only British and Commonwealth tank capable of taking out German Panther and Tiger tanks in Normandy at long range.

fr0xaEu.png
The light tank is actually the now familiar Stuart, but in different colours.

AxHr4ty.png
The truck is a CMP Chevrolet like the one used by British Raj, but a different colour and without the canvas cover. Unfortunately, it doesn't show troops in the back, but it's nice to see this type of variation.

Well, this is the last of the Commonwealth packs. It's time to start waiting again, I'm afraid. One thing that counts in our favour is that Imperator has actually already made quite a lot of units for other countries, so it isn't as if he'll now be starting something else from scratch. Let's hope that the frequency of new packs speeds up!

Actually, there are a couple of more things that I want to do now, but they'll have to wait until next week because I'm going away for a few days.