Imperator - Development Diary 6th of May 2019

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It is recommended to join the function of naval patrols to fight pirates. Just like the navy patrolling the sea in HOI4, the pirates are too frequent after the amendment of the bill.

Pirates will be talked about in a future diary :)

Seriously sea zones are a lot bigger than land cities, you should make them more around the same size and primarily give fleets indirect orders like in HoI4.

(WIP screenshot of navigable rivers, these rivers will have a different look to more clearly show them as navigable though they do not right now)
While most rivers would not have been fit for the galleys of this era to make much use of them some rivers will now be navigable. For land units such a river will have to be crossable at fording points (similar to straits). Land provinces adjacent to a great river will also have an increased population capacity (more on that in a later diary

It would be awesome to be able to cross a frozen river during a harsh winter
anywhere, and make it not navigable. Thinking in a barbarian invasion of Gaul crossing the Rhine.

Last edited:
Fantastic news, solid core changes.

I wonder if it possible to change resource requirements for light cavalry as it will be for lighter ships? Make light cavalry recruitable outside horse trade and remake the latter to unlock heavy cavalry. As it stands it isn't very sensible and it looks as though you're playing a native American faction and horses weren't domesticated yet, which is obviously not the case for Europe and Asia at this time.

Thanks for the great update.

Cheers for the DD Trin Tragula, and great to see naval warfare getting more loving :). Lots of things to like here, and assuming that the screenshot of range includes Carthage with colonies in North Africa, Southern Spain and Calabria then it looks close enough that nations will have to build up bases and capture islands to maintain their conquests, which is great to see :cool:. Would be even better if down the track trade was a bit more geographic, and control of the sea had a more meaningful impact on that as well (and perhaps a different in the magnitude of benefits between overland and overseas trade, given the vastly larger quantities of goods that could be moved overwater than overland?)

It's so abundantly clear that you originally intended to put this in a paid DLC and only relented when you realized how poorly Imperator was reviewed (and sold), it's depressing.

It's so abundantly clear that you originally intended to put this in a paid DLC and only relented when you realized how poorly Imperator was reviewed (and sold), it's depressing.
They announced this patch and that it would contain a more detailed naval combat before release, if I recall correctly. Looks like they just didn't have time to include it in time for the original release, more than a paid DLC thing.

I understand that the focus is the Mediterranean Sea.
However, that being said, I would love to see the Beden and Dhow ships of the Indian Ocean as well.
Together with an added patrol function, to patrol the coastline from pirates, since that is currently lacking.

Indian Ocean trade is also non-existant in the first iteration of the game,
and I doubt there will be a moonson feature to extend naval reach from India to Sinus Avalites.
Currently, diplomacy range hinders interactions with trade goods across seas,
thus the trade emporiums of the Somali coastline struggles to gain any momentum.

Cinnemon trade is also absent, since the Eastern African coast and Austronesians are absent.
I guess this region will get love after the main focus has been updated with some features,
since this time period had both Egypt and Rome exploring the source of the Nile and the spice routes.

The patch with it's content was announced BEFORE release and they told BEFORE release that it will be free. So your theory is nonsense.

Trin Tragula & Paradox dev.

First of all sounds great with the dev news.

I have thought about something i think could be a great small addition to the game, and give it some more "flavour".

1. As a Country you could build like some kind of academy/university of a kind, with maybe max 2 different colligiums of your choosing, each at the cost of fx 1000 money or more. U could choose between fx Naval Academy, Army Academy, Religious faculty or diplomatic and so on, and u have too install a headmaster to each. (Extra jobs for the families in your country) SO fx if u want u country to be a great military power like Sparta fx u could choose the Military academy, and install a headmaster with high Martial skill, and then u could maybe place up to max 3 persons at the time in the age from fx 5-18 or something as students in that particular academy, and depending on how great the headmasters skill is, they would study/train and getter better in their martial skill, for u to get greater generals, reasearchers and so on. But i think u should max have the 2 colligiums pr. country so u have to choose wich direction/strategy u want for u country, army, naval, religious or diplomatic nation fx.

2. I think it would be cool, if u Legions, Stratos or what ever they are called could earn some fame, to get some kind of legendary status. Fx if u have a legion that have a history of conquering great citys like fx Athens or Alexandria or beaten, and killed some other legendary armys and commanders, capturing them as well, they would get some fame/History, and when u reach a certain amount of fame u Legion would become af famous/legendary legion, maybe giving it some extra permanent morale for the troops in that legion until the legions is killed or disbanded.

Peace out

Pirates will be talked about in a future diary :)
Arrr.

Following EU4's massively popular pirate republics, I sense a Pirates of the Mare Nostrum DLC. With special events / mechanics for the exploits of Pompey, Sextus Pompey, Julius Caesar style ransoming, and necessitating the early invention and introduction of the best trade good of all: rum.

I would love to see religions that are more dynamic. In this time period beliefs and practices were constantly changing as the political landscape changed. The world was full of prophets, cults, messiahs, and gurus all reacting to the world around them.

The rigid static religious hegemony that is presented in the game just didn't exist at this time. The only group that steadfastly held to their beliefs in rejection of this changing world were the jews.

This is how you get Buddhist Greeks, the widespread messianic cult of mithra, the helenic/kemetic creation of serapis, and ultimately Christianity and Islam at the far end of this time period. These ever changing religious beliefs were a huge part of daily life, and having them reflected as static omen modifiers doesn't do them any justice.

I will admit that I have no idea how you would represent them as mechanics in game but that doesn't mean that there isn't room for exploration in this.