Imperator - Development Diary 4th of February 2019

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I see the Caspian Sea is traversable by boats. Very interesting.

Also wasn't Scythia white in a few dev blogs earlier? I preferred the white over the current green.
I think they're two different tags which happen to have the same name.

The ambition feature is a very cool one and one that has a lot of internal politics and intrigue possibilities. Does the ruler have ambitions too? It would be cool if he did as well. Kind of an organic and realistic mission system. For instance, to conquer something, to buld a city, to get X trade routes, to destroy a pretender, to have a civic faction majority in the Senate, and so on and on.

I hope it gets expanded on and you add a lot more and more fun ones though. In the stream, most seemed to be 'to become a demagoge'. @Trin Tragula

I also hope that fulfilling an ambition gives you certain traits depending on the ambition as well as failing to fulfill an ambition shoul give other traits (like bitter, hateful, vengefull, etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
I see the Caspian Sea is traversable by boats. Very interesting.

Also wasn't Scythia white in a few dev blogs earlier? I preferred the white over the current green.

Indeed. That one has since been renamed to Sakia/Saka :)
They’re both Scythian culture though.

Very impressive. I applause devs of Rome for correctly portraying terrain and borders of both Iberia and Colchis - Something both CK2 and EU4 developers failed to do even after all these years

A quick question - will devs accept suggestions about province names? A whole lot of them as I see have either Latinized or "international" names, especially in Iberia

None of the images are loading for me but apparently they are for some people. Can someone link an imgur album of the images or some other way to see them?

Edit: Nvm, they finally loaded.

Last edited:
Actually you may be confusing the Caucasus region with the land on the eastern margin of the Caspian sea. The Parthians you are thinking about are the Parnians from a previous dev diary. After conquering the Parthia satrapy you will be able to switch tags and become the historical Parthians.

You are correct, I was confused about where we were as well as misremembering the Dahae as Colchis. Nice to know that it's possible to make Parthia Parthia though, thanks!

I'm a bit lost; it appears only Resurgent Achaemenids have access to raising levies in their military traditions. Is the intention that Persians focusing on Parthian or Bactrian traditions should dip into the RA path deep enough to get that ability?

I'm a bit lost; it appears only Resurgent Achaemenids have access to raising levies in their military traditions. Is the intention that Persians focusing on Parthian or Bactrian traditions should dip into the RA path deep enough to get that ability?

As we have said before the branch names are really not to be taken too literally. They’re just a type of internal categorization and aren’t even displayed in game. You can pick from whichever branch you like in game and countries are expected to do so.

How many traditions you are able to get seems to be strongly tied to your research rate. If you are willing to research far ahead of the time as well do everything else to save military power and focusing on traditions you will probably be able to get the majority of them, like maybe 2 full lines out of 3. In the other extreme you may not get even a single tradition at the end of the game.

The only limit to which tradition you can pick if you can afford one is that you can only pick traditions in each path in a certain order just like national ideas in EUIV, you have to start at the top and work you way to the bottom but you can choose to spread out between all three lines or work to finish one line and get the free finisher bonus for that path.

I would take issue with the term "totalitarian regime". The concept of a totalitarian state, ie. a state that according to definition seeks to control every aspect of its citizens lives, did not really exist before about 1920. It's a relatively modern way of thinking about how governments exercise control over their citizens.

I would take issue with the term "totalitarian regime". The concept of a totalitarian state, ie. a state that according to definition seeks to control every aspect of its citizens lives, did not really exist before about 1920. It's a relatively modern way of thinking about how governments exercise control over their citizens.
I guess "authoritarian" would fit better.

I like that Suhaima Gerbalid kid, she's got ambition. I tell ya, if I were 15 again...

[Her sprite is also very nice.]

Last edited:
Shouldn't Parthian Shot reflect horse archer's defensive capabilities rather than giving offensive bonus?

What does "make friends" interaction mean? Pretty sure I haven't seen it before.
Does your ruler try to befriend character or do you make that character friend of any other character?