Imperator - Development Diary - 18th of March 2019

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I don't like that mercenaries will start at 0% morale. Perhaps 50% would be better. IIR, they also start exiled and need to march to your territory, so paying for troops who can't fight and would run away if they could is pretty harsh.

Why isn't there a formable Germanic empire? There are 3 in Greece one in Dacia (of all places) and one in Spain so why is Germania not a formable empire?

Why isn't there a formable Germanic empire? There are 3 in Greece one in Dacia (of all places) and one in Spain so why is Germania not a formable empire?
I think it's because while in Hispania and Gallia, and even Britannia there were provinces that built up these identities, Germania Major and Minor both failed to hold up against the invasions (Major was destroyed after the pullout by the Romans after Teuteburg Wald) and give a lasting influence. Only in Vlaanderen and Cologne were there Roman settlements that lasted more than half a century. The Germanic groups barely saw each other as fellow Þeodisce, and at this time period, "Germanic" was applied by the Romans to a singular tribe of Þeodisce. I have a strong feeling as well that there will be a mod for Germania, and most definitely an expansion focusing on Germania and Scandinavia where these formables will be added. I am still hoping for a timeline extension (via expansion or mod) that will help fill in the gap between Imperator and CKII, because I really want to do a challenge against the migration era hordes of bar-bars and Huns.

While there aren't any descendants of Alexander alive you could still find Argeads most likely. Paeonia is ruled by a cadet branch of the Argead dynasty and depending on who you ask Pyrrhus and Ptolemy Soter might both fit the bill as well. But I agree it'll be hard to find someone with the Argead family name :)
Could we perhaps not have the dynasty that reforms Alexander's empire claim his family name? Perhaps with some event chain with positive and negative events regarding making up a heritage story and a modifier to the dynasty like the current successors have (e.g. blood of Lagidae). I mean we do have precedent in Ptolemy trying to claim that he was Alexander's half-brother for prestige and legitimacy; I do not see why we can't just have him assume the name as he would have the prestige from reuniting the empire and would be the next logical step.

P.S. I would like to see some events regarding his questionable heritage ;)

Last edited:
Overall, I feel positive about this dev diary. Formables are always great in historical games, and I'm glad Imperator will have a lot of them.

The achievements looks interesting. In particular, the fact that "Conquer the World" is listed as a "hard" achievement rather than "very hard" or "impossible" gives me a clear indication of the type of game I:R is trying to be.

To facilitate the takeover when you have already, de facto, won we have made forts able to automatically start taking control over adjacent cities, even in enemy territory.
This means that once a fort has fallen you can save your armies the work of controlling cities in the fort's Zone of Control. Fort control also works across national borders, meaning border forts will automatically start taking control over any adjacent enemy cities that are not protected by enemy forts or troops.
This is good and I wish EU4 would implement it as well. There's no need to bother the player with what's essentially meaningless micro.

As described in earlier diaries Imperator will have a fort and Zone of Control system that is familiar to anyone who has played EU4. In short a fort will exert a Zone of Control over all surrounding cities and obstruct movement for enemy troops.
What will the ZoC system look like though? Certainly you guys wouldn't think of just implementing EU4's mess of fort rules unchanged, right? That system is sloppy and bug prone, and it offers more frustration than interesting gameplay.

What will the ZoC system look like though? Certainly you guys wouldn't think of just implementing EU4's mess of fort rules unchanged, right? That system is sloppy and bug prone, and it offers more frustration than interesting gameplay.

Of course not.

Imperators is far more simpler in how it works, so its clearer to the player.

Really don't like not being able to form countries on the same tier. There goes my Egypt into Macedon game. And it completely blocks the historical outcome of Antigonid Macedon.

The achievements looks interesting. In particular, the fact that "Conquer the World" is listed as a "hard" achievement rather than "very hard" or "impossible" gives me a clear indication of the type of game I:R is trying to be.

Considering that you can start as Maurya or the Seleucid empire and be already halfway done with it......

Wait, so you can actually remove the Greeks from Egypt and restore a proper non-hellenic Kemet? 33rd dynasty incoming.

Of course not.

Imperators is far more simpler in how it works, so its clearer to the player.

That's good to hear, I'm a little (?) bit worried when I hear "fort", "Zone of Control" and "Paradox" together...

Newly hired mercenary troops now start at 0 morale and will slowly build up to full morale. This also makes it more important to be able to afford their maintenance for a longer period when you hire them, and not just the immediate power cost.

I don't agree with this change.

Illyria: Should a local country unite the Illyrian region it can create a new pan-illyrian state.

Nice.