Imperator - Development Diary 17th of June 2019

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Are you talking about this (from the code in this dev diary):

Added a better entry for population capacity.

Great stuff in here. Thanks for the population capacity feature - that will make the cities far less weird during a big conquest campaign. And the dual rulers mechanics sound perfect

Thx kanye, very cool!

For clearity to whomever glossed over this like i did, here’s the more detailed passage:

Population Capacity now dictates how many pops can live in each city. Population capacity is primarily increased by things like climate, rivers, ports, but is also possible to increase through building granaries in a city. A city over capacity will get penalties from overpopulation but no city will grow over its cap naturally. Most things that previously affected population growth will now instead affect capacity instead

Things I like:
- Holdings rework (for Character interactions).
- Tribes can assemble Raiding Parties.
- Marketplaces no longer boost commerce income, but instead gives +10% tax income.

Things I am waiting for:
- Culture Change for Formable Nations.
- A Diplomatic Trade Interface.
- More Building Options

wars are ww1 style but i guess theres no way to change that
There are many ways to change that within the design of the game.

Some ideas of mine :

- most wars cannot be declared by surprise any longer. A warning must be sent a few months ahead so that the defending can prepare itself.

- recruitment becomes army-based and no more province based, with modifiers accounting for distance from recruitment areas: no more 1k stacks running around.
- armies must have a commander to move around the map
- number of armies is capped
- remove carpet sieging as a warscore modifier . Warscore only depends on wargoal and battles
- instead of armies playing " catch me if you can " and "whack a mole" around the map, the defender could set a region where a battle will take place and armies would move this way automatically . The battle would then happen. Maybe the terrain could serve as a cap on the number of unit that can engage in battles , to give a chance to smaller armies.

Anything would be better that the piss poor system from eu4/ck2 at this point.

Everything is possible, it's just that the developers need to stop being lazy and get creative where it matters.

There are many ways to change that within the design of the game.

Some ideas of mine :

- most wars cannot be declared by surprise any longer. A warning must be sent a few months ahead so that the defending can prepare itself.

- recruitment becomes army-based and no more province based, with modifiers accounting for distance from recruitment areas: no more 1k stacks running around.
- armies must have a commander to move around the map
- number of armies is capped
- remove carpet sieging as a warscore modifier . Warscore only depends on wargoal and battles
- instead of armies playing " catch me if you can " and "whack a mole" around the map, the defender could set a region where a battle will take place and armies would move this way automatically . The battle would then happen. Maybe the terrain could serve as a cap on the number of unit that can engage in battles , to give a chance to smaller armies.

Anything would be better that the piss poor system from eu4/ck2 at this point.

Everything is possible, it's just that the developers need to stop being lazy and get creative where it matters.
Basically the game could need a patch dealing with warfare. If we limit army count we could also use the military tradition system used in Total War Rome II and other ways to give more character and Life into armies.

Not sure what is going on there, I am running the game through Steam on Linux with no problems. Luckily didn't have to do anything fancy to get it going, it just worked for me.
Well, if Iclick on "PLAY" in Steam, the launcher window comes up for half a second – and it's completely empty, just a dark bluish gray background – and then just terminates with no further notice.

Hello and welcome to another diary for Imperator: Rome :)
- changed minimum resolution to 1080p
[/code]

Why? Your game is not visually stunning whatsoever and this is completely unnecessary. Like the vast majority of this patch. I can do almost all of these changes for the first patch. The game is freaking in text files (thanks for the load times). I get this really affects multiplayer on a huge scale each time these changes happen but so do all the performance issues. Please reconsider this decision. Thank you for your time.

Some comments specifics to the beta :
- province buyable upgrades are too weak or too expensive, they need to be massively buffed, or their price massively reduced. Or better, they need to be removed, because they come from post-release anger from Johan;
- the new province interface is more informative. But still very dense and feeling mashed up.
- the massive stability hit for changing a law (25) si too big compared to the small benefits each law brings. 10 would be better. also, costing power in addition to costing stability is an actual regression from the previous system, not an improvement.
- each culture urgently needs its own interface. not everyone had the same laws, marble UI and office as the romans did.