Imperator - Development Diary #16 - 10th of September 2018

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Hello everyone and welcome to the 16th development diary for Imperator! This time we’ll look at a few smaller things.

First of all, we have the road building ability, which is unlocked in the Latin Military Traditions, by the 4th tradition in the Roman path.

Any army with that tradition and at least 5 cohorts will be able to start building a road towards another city. The movement will be delayed to 20% of normal speed, and the morale is severely reduced as well. When the army reaches the next city, a permanent road is created, giving a movement speed boost of 50% between those two cities.

2018_09_10_1.png

All road are drawn on the map, adding bridges as they cross rivers.

2018_09_10_2.png

Secondly, how unrest works have completely changed from Rome1. Unrest no longer impacts a risk of a rebel unit spawning. Infact, there is no such thing s a rebel unit in Imperator. Unrest instead impact the loyalty of the province, which in the end may cause a Civil War or an Independence War.

unrest.png

This will make large rebellions more interesting, and remove the disbalance where Rebel units always have larger numbers than real armies in our other games.

Thirdly, each nation will have a civilization level, which depends on their type of government and technology levels. Each city will slowly increase to that cap, or decay if above it. So civilizing barbarian frontiers is a long-term process.
civ value.png

Next week we’ll go deeply into the characters!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Do some of the other Traditions also have road-building ability? It seems a bit iffy to me that only Italians could build quality roads when at least some other states should have this same ability.

Exteremely hyped by the change in rebel treatment ! It seems more realistic and waaaayyy more interesting by the "traditional" Paradox handling of rebel spawn.

I always wanted something similar for EU4 : Imagine the possibilities for example cities that declare independence / start civil war can enter alliances with other rebelling cities / external threats during their independence war!

Really looking forward to next week's characters DD!

I hope that there will be some downsides of having advanced infrastructure, like the need for upkeep, repairs, etc. I:R will have so shallow building system that it should better have advanced mechanics behind every building. If not then meh...

Do cities have wall graphics? It would be jarring if they didn't.

How can you build roads without the military? It would be kinda ridiculous if the only ones who could do it are Romans,
and via the army only as well.

Last edited:
A really big, genuine, thank you from me and I'm sure from many others for trying to get rid of the rebel mechanics held over from the EU era. They were really starting to show their age and never worked once the player progressed past a certain point.

If you can get this to function correctly, having whole nation tags succeed at a time and forming alliances with your rivals to try and stay independent in the ensuing war sounds much more realistic, engaging, and flexible to balance and build on.

I look forward to seeing it in action.

Neat features! The Rebel rework in particular sounds promising.

We won't have that "50 red mana to smash rebels", right? :D

The new revolt system sounds great. EU4 revolts are mostly just little whack a moles you have to defeat before they enforce demands. This system looks way more historically accurate and engaging. I am excited for more details!

The global civilization value sound like a good idea because the EU: Rome system became quite Micro Heavy with trade routes to spread civilization. Now you just have to wait to slowly reach your cap.

Civilization V and VI.