Imperator - Development Diary #15 - 3rd of September 2018

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Kind of seems like EU4's ideas a little.
Yep. They even have the final 'double ideas' where two bonuses are listed as separate, but you can't actually have one and not the other. There's essentially no reason in EU4 to split the final idea from the bonus idea or the national ambitions from their final national idea. It looks like this is also going to be the case with the military traditions.

Now they could actually fix this problem if they let you pick the traditions in any order, or at least not entirely linearly, and the final bonus was instead what you got for completing the set. Which is why Stellaris traditions do make sense to include a final additional bonus for completing the set.

Do we know what else you can do with military mana yet? So what are these traditions competing with?

I find it a little bit strange that you can get multiples of these paths and that there are no restrictions.
So as a Germanic Tribe I can start with Brittanic Traditions and get Gallic ones later and never get the Germanic ones.

But I guess its better for gameplay if there are more choices and its only a name anyway they could have called them Cavalry, Infantry, Ultility traditions instead which would have removed that but the culture names are better so I guess its the right choice.

Last edited:
Should chariots really be the distinct Barbarian feature? I have never heard or read that chariots were used by Germanic tribes. And didn't the British mostly use them to get to a battle faster rather than using them in battles?

Should chariots really be the distinct Barbarian feature? I have never heard or read that chariots were used by Germanic tribes. And didn't the British mostly use them to get to a battle faster rather than using them in battles?

That's why chariots are mostly useless in the late game. They don't seem to be particulary strong only against light infantry. The most other civilizated nations didn't used chariots anymore.

I like it!

But will my Ptolemaic Egyptian army have Macedonic Phalanx & Celtic warriors? Like they did historically.

2364lsuhueu1i2lzg.jpg

Your not asking the important questions when it comes to the Ptolemies, like can I marry my sister and how many cryptopersians do I get to kill? Oh and also can I force my siblings and children to marry each other!

Why does it say better combat for cavalry but the bonus is to chariots and light infantry?

The Cavalry are getting a better challenge?

It is not very likely you will get to the end of all paths by the end of the game

Out of interest, is there a fixed end of game (e.g. AD 14 or whatever), or is it open-ended?

I like this, but my concern is that hybrid civilizations are probably ruled out. So no Greco-Gallic nations etc. Or maybe they can choose, dunno.

Granting bonuses for the chariots of the Britons is expected but as far as I know scythed chariots were only used in the Near East by states related to the Achaemenid warfare traditions: the Seleucids and the Kingdom of Pontus (I am not sure for Armenia).

Granting bonuses for the chariots of the Britons is expected but as far as I know scythed chariots were only used in the Near East by states related to the Achaemenid warfare traditions: the Seleucids and the Kingdom of Pontus (I am not sure for Armenia).

Celtic people were actually notorious chariot users in warfare.
Caesar also mentions British chariots.

Interesting Hellenic map. So even ligurians are hellenic, as illyrians, as all italics and etruscans.

Interesting Hellenic map. So even ligurians are hellenic, as illyrians, as all italics and etruscans.

It's a fair grouping, but the name is off. Should be Olympian or something. Hellenic = Greek in an ethnic way. Religion was pretty much part of the definition of a nation until Christianity and co emerged.

Druidic Germania also strikes me as strange. I know southern Germania had a lot of Celts, but was the north the same?
I guess that religious groups here represent religions with similar styles, rather than actually similar religions. So Hellenics might represent common religions with multiple gods and temples, Druidic represents barbarian styles of worship, Carthaginian a bloodier Hellenic, etc.

Great DD .A few things I'd like to know

1. Are you stuck on a path once you pick it .

2. Can you mix army traditions for example if I conquered Greece as a barbarian could I make my army adopt the Greek fighting style.