Imperator - Development Diary #15 - 3rd of September 2018

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Hi everyone and welcome to the fifteenth development diary for Imperator. This time it is about a feature that does not correspond to anything we’ve had in the original Rome, which is our new Military Traditions system.

There are seven different military traditions in the world, tied to which culture-group you have, and due to the size of the traditions and how they are structured you will see rather different and unique nations.

Military Traditions unlocks unique abilities, unlocks new units and give special bonuses to units.

Each Military Tradition has one bonus they get from the start, and then three different paths they can go down through, where after you have picked the seventh tradition in that path, you’ll get the a special benefit for that as well.

It is not very likely you will get to the end of all paths by the end of the game, so you really have to think about which path you want to progress down through first. One military tradition currently costs 800 military power, and each tradition taken increases the cost by 50%, and each military technology level reduces it by 25%.

Today we’ll take a look at the Barbarian military tradition, which is used most cultures in north-western Europe.

They all start with the bonus to unlock Chariots as a unit. Chariots are relatively cheap, and faster than infantry, and utterly destroys light infantry on the battlefield.

The first path of the Barbarian Traditions is the Britannic Path.
  • Scythed Chariots: +15%Chariots Offensive
  • Coming of Age +15% Light Infantry Defensive
  • Living off the Land -15% Land Unit Attrition
  • Word of Mouth +25% Manpower Recovery
  • Chariot Mastery +15% Chariots Morale
  • Selective Breeding -25% Light Cavalry Cost
  • Take up Arms +15% Archers Morale
End bonus for this path is ‘Trained Cavalry’ which gives +15% Discipline to both Light Cavalry and Chariots.

The second path of the Barbarian Traditions is the Germanic Path.
  • Strike and Withdraw +15% Light Infantry Morale
  • Natural Resources -25% Light Cavalry & Chariots Cost
  • Ambush +25% Combat Bonus for Light Infantry in Forest
  • The Glory of the Hunt Allows ‘Raiding’
  • Shield Wall +15% Heavy Infantry Defensive
  • The Young Must Serve -25% Light Infantry Cost
  • Hail of Stones +15% Archers Defensive
End bonus for this path is ‘Adaptability’, which gives +15% Discipline to Light Infantry.

The third path of the Barbarian Traditions is the Gallic Path.
  • Strike From Afar +15% Archers Offensive
  • Confederations +15% Global Manpower
  • The Plains Fight With us +15% Combat Bonus for Light Infantry & Chariots on Plains
  • In Defense of our Home Allows ‘Levies’
  • A People on the Move 25% quicker Unit Recruitment
  • Strong Arm +15% Heavy Infantry Offensive
  • Scale the Walls! +15% Siege Ability
End bonus for this path is ‘Blow the Trumpet, in the New Moon!’, which gives +10% Land Morale.

2018_09_03_2.png

Next week we’ll be looking into where all roads lead.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Very interesting, hopefully this gives some diversity to a world which would be very easy to make generic in so many places. I guess this is sort of like military tech then.

Kind of seems like EU4's ideas a little.

A thousand roads lead men forever to Rome. A good start on the traditions, but I sure do hope that the Italic tribes have their own unique ideas! I want to be able to play as Socii and earn many boons for my years of loyal roman subservience.

Can we assume to have a similar system for Civic and Religion Traditions?
AI controller Nations will follow their "natural" patch , or could we expect a German tribe following the "gaul's path" ?

@Johan

In the screenshot you posted on your twitter, there were glints of new unit models ( celtic/british )
Could we get a better look of those, pretty please :rolleyes:

Do any of these traditions spawn Rome's elusive and necessary second consul?

I quite like it. It's like ideas from EU4 but they are more synergous (is that a word?) with your tech, due to the cost of the "ideas". Looking forward to playing with this system. I can't imagine I'll ever be taking one of those traditions at full price though, the boni don't look good enough to cost 800 points.

*which is just BY

Sounds interesting. Cannot wait to play it to find out how it actually works in the game.

I quite like it. It's like ideas from EU4 but they are more synergous (is that a word?) with your tech, due to the cost of the "ideas". Looking forward to playing with this system. I can't imagine I'll ever be taking one of those traditions at full price though, the boni don't look good enough to cost 800 points.

Do we even know if 800 points are THAT much?

Couple questions:

1. Can we change the military traditions during the course of game? (For example to 'portray' Romanization or Hellenization of our armies) - or is it something that can't be changed? Can the potential change be modded?

2. Can we know what are the other military traditions? (North African, Greek were revealed in the screenshots, and Indian (Mauraya?) tradition was revealed in the Chariot DD). Pretty please :)

Pumping up your military traditions seems like something you're probably not going to do until the cost is low, but if you temporarily have a strong military leader and end up with an excess of points you can temporarily get ahead of the curve a bit. An interesting system, which should hopefully make it more difficult for the player to get a huge edge over the AI in terms of army quality compared to in EU4.