Imperator - Development Diary - 12th August

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Arheo

Game Director - Hearts of Iron
Paradox Staff
Feb 13, 2018
Greetings all!

In today’s dev diary, we’ll be covering the details of the reworked population simulation in the Cicero update. As a small note: those opting in to the Cicero open beta will already have experienced many of these changes in action.

Reworking the Simulation

Perhaps one of the largest tasks in the Cicero update has been the creation of an organic, living population simulation, which reacts to, and interacts with, the fabric of the game.

Up to and including the Pompey update, the manipulation of pops required direct player involvement, either through manual pop conversion/assimilation, or through the invoking of an appropriate governor policy.

In Cicero, all aspects of the pop simulation will be dynamic, driven by situation, and occur over time in any given territory.

Each poptype will have unique base speeds for assimilation, conversion, promotion and migration, which will be modified by numerous local factors such as local unrest, differing dominant culture or religion, and city/settlement status.

SvwZD4bB5YqVlppwKsA3gB8T45IWbu7f0OAugvANGkiYMie9rDRQdn9hzAYgNEhbQrVYvRnk41Gcnh1QsDyoCQmwuIAfkIoojAEp5nTJPEyRHNDPT7YqDOK115tdBZZc5LSm0RNL

In addition, territories will have a desired ratio for each poptype, and population will promote or demote to attempt to fill this ratio. Promotion and demotion will increase in speed based on the size of the territory they are resident within, rendering it possible for large cities to have functional social mobility.

Migration

Migration is a new concept to Imperator, both replacing and augmenting in equal measure the pop movement feature included in the base game.

Every territory will now have a Migration Attraction value, derived primarily from how much free pop capacity is present:

m5qw6FGMN4F73v60ftsuiEeRlN4_SpaPuMPDLFh34urrPjNtalR2cq-R8IJjdOWle40yZSXmtPY3Ijm5MI1BYaEDIbZOZm2CYjnGjj14lcqwJaXeIp2SKf0WEImCuHUfudmDrCrT

Pops within a territory will consider any territory that is either neighboring, within the same Province, or if coastal, a Port province, as a valid migration target. If the attraction of a potential target is higher than the territory in which they reside, a migration will begin. Only 1 pop can be migrating from a territory at any one time.

Importantly, Slaves will not migrate of their own volition, they must instead by moved manually. For Tribal nations, tribesmen may be moved manually. Both these actions will cost gold, and rather than moving each pop individually, a more accessible menu has been created:

xSXbVd1mAgIkoMtT-q7A6r6x5OU5hcBFUvT4DcLdV0ciXv04pnAWVYXKSlpmwLncj_JZB_lQPk8cromAP9lf34qTBBBBW3zmWgCiplIQG0WQSoqIgDgq9V5U2wDEUDwNtiMpB4PY

Sieges, low food supply, and outright starvation will cause pops to flee their homes, bringing a new dynamic to warfare and attrition.

Interaction with the City and Settlement feature detailed in last week's dev diary is high; you will be experiencing a much more centralized, city-weighted population distribution as the game progresses, using settlements primarily as resource production sites.

As before, these changes are available in the Cicero open beta branch if you feel like checking them out.

/Arheo

• 1Like
Reactions:
So Greeks with Hellenic religion will turn to Romans faster then Gauls with different religion? Pretty historical.

Can't wait until I get internet again. :p

When will we see an update to the beta branch? Will it be at the first half of this week or more like at the end?
That would be much appreciated :)

A little disappointed that we didn't get to see anything new here. This is all info that anyone who's played the Cicero beta or been keeping up to date with the Dev Diaries and Johans psuedo dev diary posts is already aware of.

Good stuff, though, I like how it's all implemented, just sad we didn't learn about any upcoming features.

This was a nice summary of how some of the cool stuff ties together, barely anything new though.

Each poptype will have unique base speeds for assimilation, conversion, promotion and migration, which will be modified by numerous local factors such as local unrest, differing dominant culture or religion, and city/settlement status.

Unique base speeds - this is something we could glean from johans teasers some week ago.

Im very curious though,to what lenghts you’ll go to tweak conversion / assimilation ? in particular regarding differances between settlements and cities..?

For promotion/demotion you specifically mention the territorys soze (pop count). Have you considered doing something similar for conversion / assimilation?

With cities being magnitudes bigger than settlements their effective conversion ”per capita” becomes much lower given the fact that only one pop at a time can be assimilated or converted.

Do you think this can be adressed purely through tweaking cities base numbers and theatres/temples?

Relevant discussion thread here for your convenience: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...romotion-migration-rework-suggestion.1231559/

Last edited:
Please can you implement immigration and emigration instead of only internal migration. If you conquer an area of your non-primary culture, some would be very motivated to move to the new border.

Good stuff. Yesterday I took the first look at the newest version of 1.2 beta starting a new campaign with the Seleukids.

I haven't played with them before, but I've seen people complaining about the easiness and fast pace of assimilating and converting everyone around to Hellenic Macedonians.

My impression was, however, quite different on this version as it seems that it will take a long time and a lot of effort to carry out the Hellenization process that currently is stalled in the majority of territories due to the 25% penalty to conversion rate from the Seleukid heritage and a host of other factors.

So unless my first impression was somewhat incorrect I very much liked what I saw.

starting a new campaign with the Seleukids.

I haven't played with them before,
*Looks at avatar*
upload_2019-8-12_16-4-31.png

Hehe in all seriousness, Seleukids have the -25% assimilation malus as part of the heriatage, so converting will take a little longer with them. They do have +10% wrong culture group happiness though to somewhat mitigate that.

*Looks at avatar*
View attachment 505515

Hehe in all seriousness, Seleukids have the -25% assimilation malus as part of the heriatage, so converting will take a little longer with them. They do have +10% wrong culture group happiness though to somewhat mitigate that.

Hahaha... :)

Yeah, I know it's hard to believe my words, but I kind of left them for the dessert.

That Seleukid heritage is indeed very fitting for this kingdom and its history with this penalty to the conversion rate and the bonus to the wrong culture happiness.