Imperator - Development Diary #11 - 6th of August 2018

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Phalanx micro is also the first thing that came to my mind. However, i think it can be at least partially solved quite easily: make the bonuses and penalties from formations accumulate over a course of a few day-ticks to its maximum value - that would simulate an army actually regrouping into a new formation. Skilled generals might reduce the time for changing formations somewhat.

However, i am just making things up :D

Any chance of pulling a Hannibal by crossing impassable terrain (under special conditions) at the cost of a very high attrition or being MIA for a while?

Any chance of pulling a Hannibal by crossing impassable terrain (under special conditions) at the cost of a very high attrition or being MIA for a while?

The passes used by Hannibal (and similar passes) are not impassable :)

• Cavalry Skirmish - Trades Defense for Offense on Light Cavalry and Camels.
  • Phalanx - Slower movement for armies, while heavy infantry defence is much stronger.
  • Padma Vyuha - Slower movement for heavy infantry defence and archer offence
  • Unit Reorganisation - Double Maintenance and Slow movement speed, but unit reinforcing and morale recovery is much faster. Without using this, units recover slower than in previous games.
  • Force March - Heavier Attrition and No morale recovery while moving much faster.
I really like this, and it doesn't seem to even scratch the surface on combat tactics and formations yet.
You know, PDX sometimes goes way out of its way for the design philosophy of "it's always better to gain stuff with player decision, it will always feel better to grow or have more of something", but sometimes (and it's not that uncommon), presenting tough choices where players might want to trade something for a situation they'd judge beneficial strategically or in the long run makes for a far more compelling design choice.
I'm quite glad to see this here.

That aside though, is there some mtth for a stream or something showcasing the game yet?
I'd can't wait to see this baby in action.

No, no, NO! Exchanging mana for pops is ridiculous!
Doesn't seem to be the case, it seems like you're excanging manpower for pops, with Mana being the control factor to avoid spamming.

Can't say I'm not disappointed about the unnecessary usage of sword mana, I would replace sword mana cost with:
...money for Construct Border Fort and Build Road
...increased unrest for Raise Levies
...manpower for Military Colonies
...decreased reputation for Raid City​

Will there be Allied/Auxiliary cohorts, cohorts that have a different culture as well as different loyalties? Many countries, including both Rome and Carthage, made extensive use of them. They could be cheaper, should maybe have different unit bonusses based on their culture(so you can focus on infantry as Rome and take cavalry from Gauls, Germans or Numidians), give no war-exhaustion or anger your populace if they fall in battle and rebel alongside their home-provinces.

Can't say I'm not disappointed about the unnecessary usage of sword mana, I would replace sword mana cost with:
...money for Construct Border Fort and Build Road
...increased unrest for Raise Levies
...manpower for Military Colonies
...decreased reputation for Raid City​
Agree with all except Raid City, reputation will probaby be way too valuable that it will make Raid City tedious

stating the obvious but...the game with all those small towns looks gorgeous

So...is there anything that stops me from toggling phalanx like one tick before combat and turning it off right after?
Also the map really does look pretty. Soul soothing enough to stare at it for hundreds of hours.

“Please be aware that cohorts that are loyal to its commanders will not be possible to reorganise away from that commander.“ some kind of civil war mechanic going along with this? General gets too strong with so many troops loyal directly to him so he decides to take power

“Please be aware that cohorts that are loyal to its commanders will not be possible to reorganise away from that commander.“ some kind of civil war mechanic going along with this? General gets too strong with so many troops loyal directly to him so he decides to take power

If it is similliar to the EU:Rome - the more units were loyal to commander, the lower his loyalty was.

Will this Commander loyalty be explained further in some time?
I imagine this determin wether a Commander/army fights against or together with the player when a Rebellion happens?
I am praying for this to be controllable for I do still have traumatas from playing the Skaven in TW:Warhammer. I do not like seeing my elite armies turning against me:(.

P.S. loving the new look and all those new buttons to click!