Imperator - Development Diary 10th of June

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sea Storms
index.php
Apart from pirates another certainty at sea is recurring harsh weather. Storms have ravaged the Mediterrenean, the Baltic, the Indian Ocean and the Atlantic longer than anyone has dared to sail them. WIth the Pompey patch recurring storms can strike at sea (exactly during which part of the year varies depending on the sea in question but they are generally more common in the open sea than near land) and will impose a harsh attrition penalty on the affected sea zones for 2 months, before ebbing away. Storms will be clearly visible as animated rain, wind, clouds and lightning will cover the affected areas during this period.
index.php

(example of a storm haunting Northern Greece)
Desert Storms
index.php
The harsh effects of weather is not really unique to the sea. In the Pompey patch Desert areas will also run a risk of storms, manifesting themselves in great sandstorms visible in the desert cities themselves, potentially turning an already inhospitable route into a much more taxing affair.

Winter Storms
index.php
In the parts of the map where snowfall exists the winter may now also bring snow storms, sometimes quite great in size, causing attrition to all units in an area. As with the other two storms Winter storms will be shown clearly on the map and will remain in place for 2 months.
I hope the AI will be able to handle all that attrition.

If some one would apply non-interference edict then change the law would the pirate haven disappear?

Taking the anti-piracy laws not only gives you a CB against all bordering countries harboring, it also lets your own armies root out pirates with havens in your country.

Good, work. Cuz you obviously underworked for the game's release. Maybe you'll manage to turn all hate to love. I hope for it. If all this was in game on release people would've reacted much calmer, I bet.

That's cool ! I feel like all of this should have been in the vanilla game at release but better late than never. Thank you for adding more flavor event, I think that's what the game needs the most right now. I hope we'll see more flavor events for tribes after that :)

Not to seem negative but all I see here is more ways to negatively affect the gameplay experience by; Adding random atmoshperical events increasing (the already harsh) attrition in IR and making Pirates another annoying immortal force (when Barbarians already exist as a constant ticking time bomb that cannot be eradicated).
Barbarians camps can be eradicated. If I remember correctly it is by increasing the surrounding civilization level. Also one of the possible effects of the civilization effort governor policies will reduce them and eventually remove them.

All this weather and volcano talk makes me worried. Will this make my potato pc unable to run the game? Or will I not be able to see the storms from my lowest graphics settings?

Do storms cause attrition by entering them, or only if you are in the storm at months end?

If it is only at months end, it seems it will be easy to just depart port on the 1st of the month, and be able to pass a storm before it can do any damage. I would much prefer if entering them put an attrition modifier on the fleet so that you would take storm attrition no matter what if you passed through one. Otherwise its the gamey unsatisfying system of oh I just wait til the monthly tick before I send fleet orders.

Woah, Pompey it's going to be like a true Imperator 1.0., another game, very good, and this is only the start. It will be possible to interact with pirates like the barbarians paying them for example or you have to hire them as only way to bribe?

How does removing trade protection (Non-Interference Edict) create a 20% boost in commerce income? I can't imagine a nation getting more trade income because it won't protect its traders.

Because protecting your traders drives foreign merchants from your markets, stifling commerce. Your traders will be happy, because they have less competition, but your economy will suffer.

I'm pretty curious about something, will we be able to play the Mamertine Republic and would there be any unique mechanic or two since they're basically a mercenary republic?

It's nice to see full names for characters in the event window, but now that they are full names, wouldn't it also be logical to have surnames in them in singular? No one uses a plural surname as part of a full name.

Several roman fleets were wiped out by storms. The game is meant to also represent historical challenges. And storms is one of them. The fact that it only causes attrition is actually an under-representation of how much of a destructive force storms were back in the day.
Sure, so much lose is scary:
Naval disasters
But in spite of the Roman maritime victories, the Republic lost innumerable ships during the war, due to both battles and storms. On at least two occasions (255 and 253 BC) he lost the entire fleet due to bad weather, and due to the inexperience of his commanders. Only in the Camarina disaster were two hundred and seventy ships and a hundred thousand human lives lost, which would make it the most serious maritime disaster in history.The corvus, located in the prow of the ship, could make the ships very unstable, which would make them very vulnerable in times of bad weather, so these disasters could have been the powerful reason why the Romans ruled out the use of a weapon that until then had proved very effective.

The only response from Rome to these constant losses was to build more and more boats, which entailed enormous expenses. However, the Roman forces were not the only ones that were running out: the Carthaginians suffer a paralysis in their economy as a result of the interruption of trade, which is their main activity and source of wealth.