Imperator - Development Diary #10 - 30th of July 2018

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Diplomacy was actually fairly sophisticated during this time period, with proxy wars, client states, and other great power shenanigans.

Once a great power, Rome made extensive use of client states, and guarantees both to expand its power and to control its periphery. Caesar's conquest of Gaul, for example, was officially motivated by defending one group of Roman-allied Gaulish tribes from another, while the Second Punic War was officially motivated by Rome intervening in defense of the Spanish city of Saguntum against a Carthaginian siege. And plenty of other areas under de facto Roman control were nominally ruled by local puppets (whom Rome might or might not end up eventually removing and annexing when they felt like it); Herod the Great (who ruled Judea around the birth of Jesus) being one famous example.
But still - this wasn't advancet diplomacy in EU4-period-style and when country X lead to sumpremacy - other powers have lost their desire to cooperate. Desire to cooperate with hegemony had weak or weakened states, tribes etc. Good solution are in Rome2:TW - if you are great, more states don't like you.

Third Macedonian War was based on this, that Macedonia had more "dislikes" than "likes". In this system this war wouldn't be problem - more powerful Macedonia is more liked in region so why call Romans?

And other important fact - nobody like Romans when Rome had supremacy on mediterranean basin. Roman senators demanded for themselves a respect equal to the king by others monarchies and others.

Last edited:
Cheers for the DD Johan :D. Looks like an interesting system of ranks and attached diplomatic actions - is that an 'awkward stage' between city-state and major power (in that, the bonuses for city-state are a little handier than those of a local power)? Lots of interventionist malarkey awaits for great powers :cool:.

May I suggest renaming "Great Power" into "Imperium"?

That would be a bad idea, since that's not what the word means. Latin imperium means "command", not "empire". E.g. when they sent Caesar to "run" the "province" of Gaul, they were giving him "imperium over Gallia", and being the commander of the associated legions, he was the imperator of those legions. The modern term "empire" is of course derived from "imperium", but there's no need for anachronisms if we can avoid them.

Except in the name of the game, I suppose. :p

This is great. I was already going to buy this game, but knowing that the diplomacy will be great is making me buy it with enthusiasm.

I would've loved to see diplomatic options like "Intervene in war" and "Enforce Peace" in some of your other games who's diplomacy is bad, though... *Ehem* Stellaris *Ehem*.

You can use a claim, to demand a nation to secede a city or province to you, to avoid an expensive war.

Man, I hope there are other conquest CBs beside the same old fabricate claim cycle from pre-JD CK2 and EU4.

Will you be able to inherit provinces, cities and countries as the Romans did at Pergamon?

Attalus III. of Pergamon, the 133 v. Chr. Died without descendants, inherited Pergamon to the Romans. However, these had to fight first the uprising of Aristonikos to be able to compete for their inheritance. This succeeded only in 129 BC. From the Kingdom of Pergamon, the Roman province of Asia emerged, the city itself was declared free.

Plese dont forget the Senate! He must interfere and direct the ruler, he must create difficulties, he must be alive! I loved the Senate in Eu:Rome1 and Rome:Total War only.
Fac SENATUS magnus rursus!

I think that biggest countries should have less diplomatic relations than bigger ones. I can imagine a city state in Greece having alliances (not only defensive leagues) with other 10 greek cities, but I can't imagine an alliance between Rome, Carthago, Egypt, Makedonia and the Seleucids. Also being a city state it should be easier to have relations with other city states than with great powers.

Will there be Subject states?
And will they count toward your rank?
Can't wait to see game play :)

I think it is pretty safe to say there will be subject states. Some types will probably count for different things, as with how tributaries do not count for certain conditions in EU4. In more depth the condition "owns_or_non_sovereign_subject_of = " will count vassals and personal unions but not tributaries. Something similar may be the case here.

Am I misunderstanding this? Doesn't seem like the math is right.
You get +1 power for each matching idea. The great power status give an additional +2 power for each matching idea for a total of +3.

You can see on the screenshot that there is one military idea slot and one civic idea slot. In EU: Rome you can pick any national idea to any slot but you only get your specific government bonus if you match the idea category with the idea slot.

In Imperator Rome you get extra power of the specific type if you match the correct idea for the idea slot so if you pick a military idea for the military idea slot seen in the screenshot you will get an extra military power each month and that can be increase up to 3 points per month if you become a great power.