• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Imperator Dev Diary: Traditions and more inventions

Hi all!

Today we’ll be covering changes to Military Traditions, as well as showing you some iteration points on the new invention system.

Military traditions will be receiving a similar treatment to inventions, in that they will now exist in a tree-structure, with a modicum of choice, and continuing to be unlocked by their own unique resource, Military Experience.

The military traditions screen currently appears as below; though it’s worth noting that this view is very WIP, and is likely to be entirely changed in the near future.

1.png

2.png

As you can see here, there are now twice as many trees as before - we’ve split up the existing trees into two themed parts, such as Greek Kingdom traditions and Greek Poleis traditions.

As a Greek, for example, I would be able to follow either of these trees at the beginning of the game.

The bonuses themselves have received a balance pass, but haven’t changed drastically at this juncture; the military flavor and abilities unlocked from old trees have been preserved and distributed, however, there is one notable exception to this:

3.png

Each of the new trees is now explicitly linked to a geographically adjacent or culturally related set of tradition trees; the Greek Poleis traditions, for example, allow you the ability to unlock Levantine traditions. Likewise, the Roman traditions allow you to opt-in to Greek traditions should you so desire.

The unlock nodes for these particular traditions are usually separated from the rest of the tree - it should remain inefficient to look further afield, though the opportunity to craft your civilization in different ways is a core part of the vision I have for Imperator.

This does of course mean that should you be able to generate enough Military Experience (the sources of which will be discussed in a future dev diary), you will eventually be able to unlock almost any tradition category from anywhere in the world. This is likely to require a campaign’s-worth of experience gathering, however.

We’ve also added instant effect blocks to these traditions, so as per inventions, we’re able to fire arbitrary script effects on adoption of a specific tradition - how exactly we’ll use this is as yet undecided, but gives both us and modders a lot more power over making trees feel unique.

And now we’re back onto inventions!

The technology and inventions dev diary was very well received, but also came with some constructive community feedback.

As we mentioned, we hadn’t quite decided how to deal with invention cost - so based on feedback and balance, we’re dropping the gold cost for inventions. Innovations (as mentioned last week) will be required to unlock inventions, but will now be the sole resource for doing so. These will still be generated through technology levels, but may also be granted in special cases from elsewhere.

This means that unlocking all inventions over the course of a campaign becomes more or less impossible - what becomes important is the path you will take through them. This also added the need for more character and identity for some inventions, in order to be able to craft your civilization into something unique that differs from playthrough to playthrough:

4.png

(Visuals still WIP! The star means nothing, and is debug only ;))

Here, we’ve added another layer of choice-making. You’ll notice above that some inventions have a unique ornament. This indicates a cornerstone invention that has significant or gameplay altering effects.

This can be a significant modifier boost, however it can also be one-shot effects such as raising stats of important characters or rulers, unlocking related aspects to features (for example, Great Wonder building effects), or changing how you interact with characters - I’ll provide a few examples below:

5.png

6.png

7.png

Another UI solution you may have noticed, is that these tree screenshots have all appeared at different zoom levels. We’re implementing a common zoom-area utility for tree-graphs such as Missions, Inventions and Traditions, which will function similarly to the focus trees of HOI, or the family tree viewer in Crusader Kings III.

That’s all for now - until next week!

/Arheo

• 159Like
  • 83Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
love that you can opt in to other cultures traditions even if unefficient. Will both add roleplay potential and potential to continue to earn traditions even if you run out of native traditions (possible to do atm).

Also new tech system sounds good just one question will countries that start at tech 1/2 have some innovations ready to use compared to those that start at tech 0?

After a quick read, I think I like this. I hope the tech trees will be well balanced though, and not have one 'no-brainer' path to take... I think characters need to be enhanced so they have a personality (like in CK3) that will influence the paths they choose to take through these trees.

• 2Like
Reactions:
This looks great! You are doing a nice job.
Have you considered the possibility of linking the ability of unlocking foreign tradition to the integration of cultures? For example, as a Diadochi Kingdom which has integrated persian culture, it should be automatically possible to use persian traditions.

This is actually a very compelling idea, it would also improve on the cultural assimilation system, which I still think isn't that great

• 12Like
Reactions:
Have you considered the possibility of linking the ability of unlocking foreign tradition to the integration of cultures? For example, as a Diadochi Kingdom which has integrated persian culture, it should be automatically possible to use persian traditions.
This would be amazing. Currently there is little incentive towards integrating a culture besides very few situations and tying it to military traditions would feel like a very organic approach to them.

• 10Like
Reactions:
In the technology tab, can you guys please put the resesrchers name in order to manage scorned ram lies easier?

Edit: I posted this suggestion on the Senatus

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
So for inventions, we cannot unlock all of them, we cannot steal them from others, and there are no real bonuses for getting the tech level? You just shot playing tall in the head and killed it. This is a horrible decision who on earth asked for this?!

• 2Haha
Reactions:
I bought Imperator on release and played a bit, and didn't really enjoy it. Then after mana was removed, I played again, and I liked it more but I only got 50 years or so into a couple of playthroughs, because it all just seemed a bit boring and same-y.

But these dev diaries REALLY have my attention. I'm more excited for this next release than for any other Paradox game. Looks amazing.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Hey this idea is mine... cof cof...

Reactions:
In case anyone is wondering, matching the pictures to the old Traditions we get the following:
Greek Kingdom.png

Greek Poleis.png

All Traditions have gone from 3 paths to 2 paths, excluding Persian which remains as 3.
Proud Shipwrights and Arms for Hire appear twice, presumably as placeholders for additional Traditions.

We currently have 25x7=175 traditions (including openers for each Culture and closers for each path). With 13x15=195 (excluding "Embrace Influence" type unlocks) we'll need an extra 20 new Traditions.

Attachments

• 1603724585312.png
    1603724585312.png
    605,1 KB · Views: 0
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Every new DD they publish increases my desire to play IR exponentially! They are doing a real rework to the whole game.

Contrary to what many of us thought (myself included) the departure of CK III instead of burying IR, helped to implement new improvements to the system. Surely a lot of good things that are being done in CK III will be implemented in future new Paradox games. Keep up the great work!

• 6Like
Reactions:
Looks great! A real improvement. I just wish there was a little extra art or something to make the theme of each tech (or branch of the tech tree?) more recognizable at a glance. I do understand this is a WIP though.

Reactions: