• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Greetings all,

My part of today’s developer diary focuses on further changes coming to the population system in 2.0.

The changes to civilization value mentioned previously opened up further opportunities for a rethink on population growth. In 1.5 and before, cities were largely sustained by prolonged inwards migration. While this is not something I necessarily want to change, we’ll be splitting up where population growth comes from, with the dual intentions of letting cities stand their own ground when growing pops, and allowing for more engagement in how you promote growth in owned territory.

Firstly, base pop growth, and pop growth from stability have been reduced significantly.

Secondly, civilization value now contributes to population growth, simulating an increased growth rate in developed metropoles.

Thirdly, the population growth rate from stored food has been slightly reduced, however, the food consumption of tribesmen has been reduced, making it easier to boost growth in undeveloped tribal territories without also affecting the inherently low population capacity of said land.

Lastly, various sources of population growth have been slightly reduced to accommodate the new increases from civilization value.

What does this achieve?

Overall, there should be slightly less global growth in the average game, but still enough control to make long-term decisions valid, and for local factors to have much more of an impact on the fabric of the game.

100.png

These graphs show the 2.0 build prior to population changes, and post population changes. As you can see, the newer system (bottom) results in less total population over time, with a marginally nerfed warm period event being one of the main factors.

Games in 1.5 had a tendency to balloon in population density towards the endgame, due in part to the availability of inventions and modifiers affecting pop growth. With population now being intrinsically related to army sizes, we felt it was time to return to a more realistic* growth pattern that still allows the player to manipulate the world situation to their advantage.

Related to these changes, domestic migration has been slowed down slightly, and settlement production buildings (with the exception of the Legation) now reduce outward pop migration to almost 0 (unless there are extenuating circumstances such as occupation or overpopulation).

*The academic consensus appears to be that the usual global increase in population entered a bit of a plateau at around the time Imperator is set, to around the time it ends.

Research Efficiency

Somewhat tangentially to population changes, we’re also going to be gating the maximum research efficiency of nations. The base maximum research efficiency of nations will now begin at 125%. This value can be relatively easy to achieve for smaller nations, and should still offset technological advancement positively if focused upon, however, a great disparity in tech between larger empires and city-states was simply too easy to achieve.

We still want technology to be a valid choice in nation-building, however, and numerous nodes have been added to the invention tree, increasing the maximum research efficiency that a country can achieve - if you want to build a state as a shining beacon of technological advancement, this is entirely possible, but you’ll have to weigh up this decision against other valuable advancements.

101.png

With that, I’ll hand over to @Chopmist to take you through some of the map changes coming in 2.0!

[The eagle eyed among you also noticed the recurrence of the infamous ‘glowing borders’ bug in a recent screenshot. This has since been resolved.]

1. It is also possible to get it from other sources, though they are quite rare.

One last question from me about tech:
Is there a max level/cap of the advancements, which provide innovation points? E.g. if my faction reaches lvl 20 in martial advances, there will be no additional innovation point gained afterwards, because you can only gain 20 points per advancement type.
Or would it be theoretically possible to get 1000 innovation points, if I could manage to research that fast.

Reactions:
Looks great, I do have an issue with adding even more micro tags, an issue I've had since release is vassal swarming and it seems that the smaller the tag is the larger their army is in relation, so adding more of these small guys will just making conquering so much more tedious. Another issue is that micro tags never seem to spend money so once you go to war with them they each have like infinite money and can spam mercs at you.

For example going down to africa to fight carthage, if they have 100k men ready to face you, their vassals combined have like another 50k + mercs, same issue with greece and they're all in mountains too which makes it even more tedious.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I think it would be an interesting addition to maybe add more types of diplomatic gimmicks. I love and support the changes that are currently being added but I feel that diplomatic aspect of the game feels lacking. The great powers tier list from eu4 seems like an interesting mechanic to be put into imperator and it seems historically accurate which makes the game more competitive. Also it would be great to see options such as releasing nations and religious conversion CBs. Additionally I would suggest adding historical rivals modifiers for relations between nations to make the AI more historically aligned in terms of alliances. It became too easy for me a s Rome to ally Carthage. With these improvements I feel like the game would be very well rounded. Other than that I really like the direction in which the game is heading. Great Job!

• 2Like
Reactions:
I guess that with plateau in global population growth you mean there were not significant accelerations or decelerations in the growth rate?

Reactions:
Looks great, I do have an issue with adding even more micro tags, an issue I've had since release is vassal swarming and it seems that the smaller the tag is the larger their army is in relation, so adding more of these small guys will just making conquering so much more tedious. Another issue is that micro tags never seem to spend money so once you go to war with them they each have like infinite money and can spam mercs at you.

For example going down to africa to fight carthage, if they have 100k men ready to face you, their vassals combined have like another 50k + mercs, same issue with greece and they're all in mountains too which makes it even more tedious.

Its worth considering how the changes to manpower, recruitment and pops will interact with this.

Small vassals may well be confined to using only a levy, and only one character as general - sometimes one with martial prowess, sometimes not.

Additionally, prolonged use of these levies will leave these vassals in the dust for income and manpower recovery. Also, if combat losses end up killing their pops, that may significantly impact both their economy and the size of their levies.

... there are a lot of moving parts to consider regarding this stuff though, so i dont know.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
I think it would be an interesting addition to maybe add more types of diplomatic gimmicks. I love and support the changes that are currently being added but I feel that diplomatic aspect of the game feels lacking. The great powers tier list from eu4 seems like an interesting mechanic to be put into imperator and it seems historically accurate which makes the game more competitive. Also it would be great to see options such as releasing nations and religious conversion CBs. Additionally I would suggest adding historical rivals modifiers for relations between nations to make the AI more historically aligned in terms of alliances. It became too easy for me a s Rome to ally Carthage. With these improvements I feel like the game would be very well rounded. Other than that I really like the direction in which the game is heading. Great Job!

Many people would like to see an update on diplomacy (maybe it will be the one after 2.0?). But we already have a tier list of "great" powers in I:R and I like the one from I:R more than the one from EU IV. Releasing nations maybe can be improved, but it's at least possible to release provinces. I'm not sure on the religious CB as it wasn't really a thing in the antiquity - only monotheists were at that time of the game somewhat suspicious to the polytheists, but not really a CB. So it would be anachronistic, if this would be a major thing for everybody. I guess with 2.0 we have some solution for the missing rivalry with the changed AI behavior (according to the screenshots from Twitter) :) But there should be more diplomacy actions, a better subject system and tying characters somehow into diplomacy more (but in a non-tedious way). But now I stop getting off topic :D

Last edited:
Reactions:
One last question from me about tech:
Is there a max level/cap of the advancements, which provide innovation points? E.g. if my faction reaches lvl 20 in martial advances, there will be no additional innovation point gained afterwards, because you can only gain 20 points per advancement type.
Or would it be theoretically possible to get 1000 innovation points, if I could manage to research that fast.

There's no explicit cap, though it'll get harder to acquire tech levels as time goes on, with ahead of time penalties.

• 6Like
Reactions:
I saw the new teaser on twitter and noticed that Rome didn't build any roads, will this get addressed in the future?

Reactions:
There's no explicit cap, though it'll get harder to acquire tech levels as time goes on, with ahead of time penalties.
Thats still pretty cool. You can still get tech if you play past the enddate then for example instead of being done at tech 20 and not having any new inventions.

• 1Like
Reactions:
In reality this would result in difficult-to-control snowballing, though I understand the attraction.

Mostly yes; there also tends to be a lot of unit-migration in the starting period which 'hides' a lot of starting pops as migrant units.
The thing about having growth proportional to existing number of pops is that we have necessarily eliminited death.

You will only spiral out with numbers if your grown pops don't die. And I think... our Pops don't die. So Pop growth is still something one-directional instead of staying more-or-less the same number.

Increased size of population will give you more dead people each year. So they may just cancel out after all.

Everything looks cool, But I just want to see Impassable Terrain blend in more with country color just like Prior to 1.5 Update. Currently Empires look fractured with different shade ocloring of impassable terrain.

Reactions:
I really hope that an "Empire collapse" mechanic is added. When enough land is taken from a major power, the power will eventually collapse into multiple successor states. If this somehow involves the player, the player will then be able to choose which successor states he/she wishes to play as. This could lead to an interesting campaign of trying to reform your once collapsed Empire. Personally, I have never been a huge fan of Empires losing most of their territory but still existing on the map. What has been done recently to the Antigonid Empire could be a great model for other major powers like Rome, Carthage, the other Diadochi etc.

Well if the games end date is to ever be extended even a little bit, there would certainly need to be such a mechanic. And not just from external factors, but internal ones too. Even simple succession wars should have the potential to weaken an empires authority and give rise to regional kingdoms/warlords.

Things like plagues and famines were also very destabilizing events for society, but aren't in the game.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: