• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Imperator Dev Diary - 20/03/23

Good day folks!

We’re now a week away from release, and you’ve seen most things that we have to offer in the Archimedes update and Magna Graecia content pack.

What we haven’t covered yet, of course, are the myriad balance changes and tweaks that accompany any major patch. Next week’s dev diary will contain a comprehensive list of patch notes, though there are a couple of things I’d like to draw attention to, which can heavily affect the game world.

The starting technology situation is no longer the same throughout the world.

Certain greek states, the diadochi, and various others, will begin at a higher tech level than their neighbours.

Subunit Deployment has received a lot of attention in the Archimedes update.

We’ve taken a long look at army deployment, particularly with the advent of supply trains. Combat deployment should now act in a much more predictable manner, allowing you to determine more accurately where your units will appear when using the preferred flanking/secondary/primary selector. Additionally, we’ve added a special ‘supply phase’ once all fighting units are eliminated in a combat, where the victorious troops will begin laying waste to enemy supply trains.

Loyalty modifiers have received a full rebalance as part of the loyalty rework.

Harder to pinpoint this one, but the effect is noticeable in-game. To put things more subjectively; you should begin to notice that individual powerful and disloyal characters are much more likely to stick around as a thorn in your side. Loyalty management has become more integral, and adds more permanence to your decisions. The difficulty level of internal management has taken a step up.

Forts are now ‘easier’ to siege.

The addition of food supply resulted in a significant bonus to the defender in a siege situation. This is still preserved, however, we’ve reduced the siege phase timer to 25 days to compensate, and reduced the number of soldiers required per fort level from 5k to 4k. A highly developed fort territory should still prove a significant challenge to invaders.

Heritages Galore

As part of the Archimedes update, we’ve added roughly 30 heritages to Greek minors, giving some variety to playthroughs in the area. Here are a few examples:

P6T4kfFvNTI7IlVqA9oUkdgaSTREAs7jFmdHnEVFVVqE1rBYLE7yCvAq5wdYYbW0_w2xXpxD-qCSbbiZUNpBZOh9tRSi8V-VJ4eHaELtviiDZ4jgtDUT6oxKyK4pvxEfmLyjFbgX

Pig stabbing replaced with a more general solution for monotheistic religions.

Both the sound and icon for increasing stability, have been changed in the Archimedes update. The religion focus of the update seemed like a good opportunity to give our monotheistic religions some care.

Pop Resource changes

Tax income has been slightly reduced overall, and is now split between freemen and slaves. Slaves will still provide the lion’s share of tax income. Citizens research output has been increased to make it slightly easier to retain optimal research ratio.

Religious Conversion Speed much reduced

With the other religious changes in the works, base religious conversion speed (and speed from policies) has been significantly reduced. This is intended to both encourage you to engage with the new mechanics, and to stress the importance of hybridization and syncretism in antiquity.

New Loading Art

All players will be treated to new splash screen art in the Archimedes update, depicting the siege of Syracuse:

yT0kU_XXJ04gLzWv9P9MTX3hzRMzQLRqzabGDWu4xC_9GJolDBozsg-n7nAjsZK-J1UFaeOqvnC618k6bsyqKQ2Z3y3DVE0R3_9xS9dmDjojvLfMlbP2bsRkjvz9zPstv9sRlzaR

Not every DD can be akin to Homer's Iliad, I'm afraid - yet you may prepare yourselves to receive the full (huge!) list of patch notes next week.

/Arheo

• 1Like
Reactions:
That sound nice, however don't that mean freemen become like tribesmen? Maybe freemen should be more like research/Manpower to make them a bit different? Adding research to freemen would probably make the Tech situation better and make the gap between tribes and civilized more significant.

It could be like this:
  • Slave = Tax + goods
  • Tribesmen = Tax + manpower
  • Freemen = Tax + Manpower + research
  • Citizens = Commerce + research
I think it's fine. Yes, the freemen are going to be basically tribesmen in terms of stats, but having high civilization makes tribesmen less desireable and harder to keep productive. The only advantage I'd give tribesmen is the ability to colonize quickly if you're a tribe, especially as a migratory. Plus, instead of relying solely on slaves for tax, it's nice to have another source for that.

Combat deployment should now act in a much more predictable manner, allowing you to determine more accurately where your units will appear when using the preferred flanking/secondary/primary selector.

Does this mean we can finally put HA e.g in primary and HI on the flanks without tricksing with the Flank Size?
While I understand that some units are considered flankers it still should be possible to deploy the units as I want imo.

Answer really appreciated :)

Will assimilation speed be reduced as well?
That's most likely gonna be changed in the culture/pop rework coming with the summer patch. I agree that the numbers are a bit too high right now, but I have hopes for that the rework will fix it. Hopefully after that we won't see a 70% Macedonian majority Egypt around 60-100 years into the game xD

one thing is at backward on technology and another one is be stuck at one battle formation as the Phalanx one. The Greeks were still pretty advanced technology speaking.
Actually technology is also how you do stuff, not just the Equipment used. The roman army had a more modern command structure which allowed quite flexible use of small units, like at Battle of Cynoscephalae in which a tribune took command of a small part of the army and used it to flank the Macedonians and thus win the battle.

The phalanx was modern when it fought the greeks and persians but 150 years later it was dated as new military development could defeat it. It is something that eventually happen with all military stuff, they tend to lose their edge as people figure out ways to defeat it.

The romans changed their army alot over time, going for more and more flexibility and standardisation while also finding ways to replace costly Equipment with less costly ones. The later version of the roman army was probably quite superior to the earlier versions in pretty much every area.

Last edited:
This date format is killing me

Major events are mentioned but will we be able to see like them like in eu4 for example if we dont play the country ?

We’re now a week away from release, and you’ve seen most things that we have to offer in the Archimedes update and Magna Graecia content pack.

What we haven’t covered yet, of course, are the myriad balance changes and tweaks that accompany any major patch. Next week’s dev diary will contain a comprehensive list of patch notes, though there are a couple of things I’d like to draw attention to, which can heavily affect the game world.

Does it mean there will be no achievements coming together with this patch? Usually they are revealed right before the release of a new Paradox DLC.
(not that it's high in my list of priorities, I just wanted to be sure)

Please take note of this humble request:

Add in a RNG event when you move troops and when they are stationary that people die of sickness or accidents, when travelling through mountain area.
It just has to be a slight wear and tear, you can let the player choose to add some things to an army eg. a physician, surgeon, whatever.
Also I would like to see some really historic accurate way of improving equipment for your troops

With the other religious changes in the works, base religious conversion speed (and speed from policies) has been significantly reduced. This is intended to both encourage you to engage with the new mechanics, and to stress the importance of hybridization and syncretism in antiquity.

Yes, good, now do something similar to cultures and I'll be happier with this game

Great patch preview! A lot of phenomenal stuff! :)

Not listed in the preview, but hopefully the merc spam in the late game will be fixed with the patch (maybe the lower income overall helps dealing somewhat with this issue).

Actually technology is also how you do stuff, not just the Equipment used. The roman army had a more modern command structure which allowed quite flexible use of small units, like at Battle of Cynoscephalae in which a tribune took command of a small part of the army and used it to flank the Macedonians and thus win the battle.

The phalanx was modern when it fought the greeks and Persians but 150 years later it was dated as new military development could defeat it. It is something that eventually happens with all military stuff, they tend to lose their edge as people figure out ways to defeat it.

The Romans changed their army a lot over time, going for more and more flexibility and standardisation while also finding ways to replace costly Equipment with less costly ones. The later version of the Roman army was probably quite superior to the earlier versions in pretty much every area.
sure bro, but keep in mind Imperator doesn't allow that, because you are always on par with the rest of technology branchs, you cant surpass more than one or two levels of technology, Roman may be more advanced on the military, but not in the civic one, we may have now the military points which may help to simulate countries with a lot of military experience, and more for Rome cause they have a lot of free casus bellis and they will gain more military traditions so they may surpass the other Greek states.

ike at Battle of Cynoscephalae in which a tribune took command of a small part of the army and used it to flank the Macedonians and thus win the battle.

The phalanx was modern when it fought the greeks and persians but 150 years later it was dated as new military development could defeat it. It is something that eventually happens with all military stuff, they tend to lose their edge as people figure out ways to defeat it.

The Romans changed their army a lot over time, going for more and more flexibility and standardisation while also finding ways to replace costly Equipment with less costly ones.

Do you understand that you can't simulate that if it isn't a full rework to the military?? In this game a heavy infantry is the same, you cant see the differences with a Phalanx, a Hoplites and a Roman Soldier with scutum and sword. The only differences is with the tactics, Phalanx and Triple axis work for all the heavy infantries.
Phalanx wasn't outdated, I remember you that in the few two centuries of EU4 the Phalanx was reborned. If the Greeks lost to the roman in the battlefield was because they didn't use enough cavalry to do as Alexander with the tactics of the anvil and the hammer, if you watch these battles in Kings&Generals you will see the lack of cavalry was their doom and why was easily beaten for a soldier who may flank them when the Phalanx formation is broken due to bad terrain.

So is it better to culture convert first, and then religiously convert after? It use to be the other way around, though focusing on one before the other was always the way to go.

Also, are monotheists better at conversions? Can you optimize/build your religion for it?