• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Imperator Dev Diary 07/12/20

Greetings all,

Today, we’ll be covering some additional mechanics coming in the Marius update, before we take a look at further mission trees coming as part of the Heirs of Alexander DLC.

Ports

As the astute amongst you have noticed, we’ve made several references to ‘upgrading’ port infrastructure in recent dev diaries and streams.

Prior to Marius, ports were seeded in numerous historical locations, but could never be altered, removed, or added during gameplay. As Imperator is a game where the ability to build your own civilization is paramount, it seemed natural that this behaviour should be reconsidered.

As part of Marius, shipyards will be a constructible building-type, which along with various local effects, will increase the port level of the territory in which they are built.

pasted image 0.png

Shipyards can be constructed in any coastally adjacent territory, which will have the graphical effect of creating a culturally appropriate port model in the coastal territory. For technical and design reasons, we’ve chosen not to allow the construction of shipyards in river provinces, unless there was a pre-seeded port already present (Pataliputra or Sais, for example).

The level of port in a territory will primarily dictate which ships it is able to construct; low level ports may only build and repair Light ships, for example.

Mega-polyremes will require a port level of 5, but are still gated behind the corresponding military tradition, though due to the tradition tree rework, this unlock can now be attained by any nation willing to invest into the traditions of the Greek Kingdoms.

You’ll be able to distinguish between port levels by map icon; two such examples at the beginning of the game are the port in Alexandria which begins at a higher level than surrounding territories:

pasted image 0 (1).png

Lastly, but not least - ports can now be removed or destroyed by removing shipyard buildings in the associated territory.This will evict any mercenary navies currently present, and destroy the port model.

Technology Feedback

Your response to the technology trees coming in 2.0 was overwhelming, and I feel we’re on an good course with these. This said, there was some excellent critique on the system, some of which we’ve had a chance to iterate on.

pasted image 0 (2).png

One of the most common opinions we saw, was that the tech tree background appeared bland. To address this, our talented artists have added a diagrammatic background (replete with authentic wine stains) to give some identity to the game view.

One additional and enduring piece of feedback we’ve had during testing, was the lack of contextual identification for inventions in the new system - how does the player know what each invention represents, and how can they easily locate what they’re aiming for in our larger tree structures?

We’ve added two ways to mitigate this concern.

Firstly, inventions now display their foremost modifier icon inside the UI element. This gives an at-a-glance indication of what you’re likely to receive once an invention is purchased. As our regular players will know, however, there are a significant number of modifiers and modifier types in Imperator - it can be tricky to mentally map all of these. Which leads us to the second improvement.

The search bar in the top right corner will highlight inventions that correspond to your search terms. This will parse both names and modifier strings:

pasted image 0 (3).png

(It goes without saying hopefully, that this highlight is WIP!)

In addition to these UI changes, some incidental balance changes have been made to the inventions system. Notably, while we do not wish for it to be possible to unlock all inventions in a single playthrough, the number available vs the number of innovations available were simply too far removed.

To mitigate this, we’ve decreased the expected years per technology from 20 years to 15 years - this reduces the ahead of time penalty accordingly, and should result in more frequent tech advances as time goes on.

Several modifiers previously tied to nation rank (particularly diplomatic relations) have been moved out of their associated rank modifier, and into the tech trees. I’ve never been entirely happy with the number of alliances and relations that were available from the beginning of the game - this addresses that concern, yet retains the ability to focus on this as a valid playstyle for players and AI, should their situation demand it.

pasted image 0 (4).png

As the above screenshot suggests, we have also added more keystone inventions, particularly those which might alter the playstyle of a nation. The wargoal referred to here is the one mentioned in our previous developer diary. Whilst powerful, it sits relatively far down the Oratory tree, as many of our more game-changing inventions tend to.

Before I hand over to @Bratyn, I'm aware that I promised unit model screenshots a week or two ago - due to some final polish on these, I can't show them off just yet - watch this space!

---------------

• 125Like
  • 60Love
Reactions:
what does paradox learn from being more astitude? (Close eyes and think, than read on)

delivering better customer focused content gives:

love smileys instead of anger
more money and happier customers

= it's the right way to go

by being the meta lines true a marius period, still excellent to maintain sandbox elements!

creates the ultimate combo of better replayability

larger ports should also impact resuplly and repair times of ships as indeed build time! where is the discount for ship when forest!
keep up!

Reactions:
This looks cool. Question for @Bratyn will there be missions for dealing with the rest of Alexander's empire after you secure Greece and Asia Minor? For example will there be stuff for dealing with the Ptolemies and Selekuids and going after the rest of Alexander's empire?

This touches on a general topic that needs more discussion: this game is packed with a lot of early game flavor, but mid to late game the goals can often be lacking. Two major exceptions are: 1) Rome / Carthage, who have late game missions as part of the Punic Wars; 2) the Diadochi themselves have the Argean reunification goal (and a nice achievement for players), but unlike Rome, this is not guided by missions. It would be nice in addition to the missions for each of respective Diadochi if there was a generic mission of conquering lands that we part of Alexander's empire. Something very broad like Rome's 'Eastern Glory' mission.

EDIT: I kept reading on and noticed there is an apparent teaser about later goals:

There is no dedicated mission tree for this, but all Diadochs have access to a new Diadoch wargoal against one another, meaning you don't really need any 'guidance' or help to get to war with them. A mission dedicated to this was therefore not deemed necessary - though if you stay tuned you may well get a more in-depth answer on your question in coming week.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Keystone innovations should probably have a different button for them to help the player know when something is especially impactful or doesn't just have numerical bonuses. Something embellished, like laurels around the button or a star burst. Could be based on which tree this is in.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Keystone innovations should probably have a different button for them to help the player know when something is especially impactful or doesn't just have numerical bonuses. Something embellished, like laurels around the button or a star burst. Could be based on which tree this is in.
This is already the case: look again at the screenshots in this DD.

Reactions:
Excellent DD!

we have some questions:

our talented artists have added a diagrammatic background (replete with authentic wine stains) to give some identity to the game view.

The new background for the technology window looks good. Can you make a similar one for the missions and bring back the arcs behind the statues?

Does the instant annexation mechanic remain if the target drops below 100 tiles mid-war?

Dear @Bratyn
  • Will Getia (if played by a human) have any influence over the raids?
  • Will Odrysia be a kingdom (and not a tribe) in the game?
  • If Odrysia or the Greek city-states are played by a player, would AI Thrace be able to prevent them from rebelling by doing the missions?

now all Greek cities here have been made independent, and turned into vassals of Thrace.
Has the culture for these new tags been fixed?
Propontic culture.
Why are Philippopolis, Beroe and Kabyle propontic? They were established by Philipp II and settled with Macedonians.

It should replace Bithynian for the minors and get the current Bithynian heritage. (details here)

Problem (Inland):
  • The black sea cities rebelled against Lysuimcahus. making them propontic (integrated culture) prevents this.
  • Istros is bosporan, but should have same culture as southern neighbours.
  • Istros and Milet had an agreement recognizing each other’s citizenship. This should be represented with integrated cultures.
Thrace:
  • Make Ionian integrated in Istros AND bosporan integrated in Milet.
  • Change the Propontic Citizens and Freemen in Philippopolis, Beroe and Kabyle to Macedonian, change all Slaves and Tribesmen there to Odryssian.
  • Change all Propontic POPs on the black sea coast from Tomis to Apollonia Pontike to Bosporan.

Related to this:

• 8Like
Reactions:
Shipyards can be constructed in any coastally adjacent territory,

Just a thought but should there be more limitations to this besides not building ports on river provinces? Just thinking about the Player or the ai spamming ports otherwise and losing their strategic value.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is it just me, or port icons are now much larger and fatter?
Please, leave them as they are. You can see them when you want to see them, but they don't dominate the map.

I would also like to add another vote in favour of "natural harbours" idea.

• 1Like
Reactions:
@Arheo with the ports, does this mean you are going to update this picture of the Cliffsides of Dover to show the Cliffside Ports of Dover since ports can be made anywhere including on cliffs if the dev diary is correct. :p

871be412ae2617328cdbb8487a17f57963eecb97.jpg
12884_1.jpg

Wasn't the whole point of the Britons standing there that it was a natural landing location for ships?

• 12Haha
  • 8Like
Reactions:
12884_1.jpg

Wasn't the whole point of the Britons standing there that it was a natural landing location for ships?

Haha yeah all the people using Dover of an example as a poor spot for a port i was thinking have never obviously got the ferry from Dover to calais. Its a major port and pretty much has always been

• 7Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I have to agree with people here, ports should'nt be located anywhere. A few locations should be able to build a port tier 4, some others not and the most of them nothing.

In my opinion, in a strategic game like IR, it's funnier to struggle to get the better locations, the better ressources, the better techno...

• 5Like
Reactions:
Really enjoyed most of the Dev Diary, BUT please reconsider making it possible to build ports on every coastal territory!

Maybe only cities!
Agree, imo this matter needs more consideration, important ports grew because they were located in strategic, global zones.
Carthage was in the middle of the mediterranean, Ostia serviced Rome, Aquileia grew because its position in the upper adriatic made it possible to unload goods in the middle of europe, Byzantium etc etc...

For these reasons the matter should be addressed in the trade and economy update imho, maybe someone could do a post in the senatuspopulusque thread.

Reactions:
@Bratyn If you are Getae will you get stuff for doing the raids on Thrace, so you can play as the raiders?

You do not have control over the raids, but you do get their rewards. The idea being that many raids are conducted by fringe tribes you do not necessarily have tremendous control over (a flavour explanation covering over the fact that Getia really shouldn't be able to control them, because otherwise you simply never would do them when playing as Getia, to block Thrace's mission progress).

I keep getting indications that the content devs have an interest in the classical period on a personal level. At some point can we hear from @Bratyn , @AreysAK , @Snow Crystal about their classicist tendencies? Maybe a list of their favorite primary sources? And if there are any workplace exchanges in Latin or Greek?

I've always loved the classical period as a child, and in high school I had a trimester of Ancient Greek and two years of Latin. However, due to the vicissitudes of fate I wasn't able to continue studying these, and so that is a long time ago and my ability in these languages is virtually non-existent now. My personal interest in the period remains, though!

Since the 4th War event chain fires early, would the player have time for the Thracian or Greek missions before it's time for fight Antigonos. Similarly, what happens to the navy-building in the Asian mission if the 4th war has already been resolved and Lysimachos has occupied Asia Minor?

If you enter the 4th war when it happens then yes, you will either not be benefiting from the Hellespont mission while in this war, or you will have to delay your Paper Kingdom or Hellenic Policy missions until after. However, you can delay this war yourself. You do not have to join it when the event appears, if you do not want to.

• 6Like
Reactions:
I hope that those ports in the Black Sea/Thracia area aren't considered at a level equal to Alexandria? (Given they seem to have the same port icons).

Also,
Several modifiers previously tied to nation rank (particularly diplomatic relations) have been moved out of their associated rank modifier, and into the tech trees. I’ve never been entirely happy with the number of alliances and relations that were available from the beginning of the game - this addresses that concern, yet retains the ability to focus on this as a valid playstyle for players and AI, should their situation demand it.
Will we then have a boost to Diplomatic range instead to better simulate the reach a greater power would have had for when it was making direct outreach? Given their status would still have some bearing if the amount of diplomatic relations is to be reduced. Imo it would make more sense in this regard that total number of relations. Especially if a capital is a bit further from one frontier versus another. Having that slight boost would be helpful when interacting with a nation separated by just one or two province from a border by a potential rival power.

Reactions:
Please reconsider about building ports almost everywhere. We do not like that. There is nothing wrong as it is now. :D
We will be thrilled to see you changing that in the next dev diary!!!

Reactions:
Remember this week tweet with the ancient roman map to locate your cities? You can see that ports were everywhere they could build them. Of course settlements will have only one building, thus only ports level 1. For cities, Ports level shall be limited by natural geology as said in this thread by others.

I love the idea of building ports, it is pure empire building. Another thing completely different is @Mr. Wiggles very interesting and valid suggestion about ports and trade. That requires a deep and long thought.

http://imperium.ahlfeldt.se :

1607419894482.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
Will we then have a boost to Diplomatic range instead to better simulate the reach a greater power ..

In my opinion the whole diplomatic range system needs a slioght rework. It should more or less work like naval range or tied to it. So every nation in naval range is obviously in diplomatic range too. On land the range should be a bit less and maybe grow with nation size. when I did a "rednaxelA" campaign with capital in southern India I had to snake my way everywhere because my diplo range stopped at the Indus river but my naval range got me way further.

Of course settlements will have only one building, thus only ports level 1. For cities, Ports level shall be limited by natural geology as said in this thread by

I disagree, a port for large ships (Triremes etc) and and a small port for fisher boats weren´t the same. A settlement as in "not a city" wouldn´t have a real port. Especially since a port in game represents a shipyard too.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I disagree, a port for large ships (Triremes etc) and and a small port for fisher boats weren´t the same. A settlement as in "not a city" wouldn´t have a real port. Especially since a port in game represents a shipyard too.

You are right, let's ditch the infinite modifiers and let's use some discrete numbers to describe ports nature:

1607420762905.png

Port level 1:
Fishermen port
No boats construction allowed
Allows for some commerce and production
You can build it anywhere with a free building slot

Port Level 2:
City Port
Allows for trireme construction
Migration Attraction +0.10
Allows for internal commerce
You can only build it in cities

Port Level 3:
Big City Port
Allows for bigger ships construction
Migration Attraction +0.10
Pop Migration Speed +0.10
Ship Recruit Speed: +10.00%
Allows for international commerce
Local base trade routes +1,00%.
You can only build it in cities with access to deep waters and natural shelter

Port Level 4:
Metropolis Port
Allows for biggest ship construction
Migration Attraction +0.20
Pop Migration Speed +0.20
Ship Recruit Speed: +20.00%
Local base trade routes +2,00%.
You can only build it in metropolis with access to deep waters and natural shelter

Port Level 5:
Alexandria type of ultimate Port
Allows for biggest ship construction
Migration Attraction +0.30
Pop Migration Speed +0.30
Ship Recruit Speed: +30.00%
Local base trade routes +3,00%.
Something else, unique for this type of Port
You can only build it in metropolis with access to deep waters, natural shelter and something else requirement (like provincial capital)

No more Ports can be build beyond Port level 5. @religiousphanatic won't be able to create Singapore in Calabria

EDITED: added natural shelter for ports 3 to 5 after viewing @Lord Lambert video.

Last edited:
  • 22Like
  • 1Love
Reactions: