Imperator DD: Important balance changes and missions

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I don't think lack of manpower blocking your expansion is a bad thing. It makes battles, planning, etc more meaningful.

What is a bad thing, is getting 15K manpower a month as moderately sized Carthage - I seriously doubt WW1 Germany had those numbers;)

Yeah, I strongly agree with this. PDX games have a tendency to allow you to recover from warfare too quickly and too easily, and keep expanding and expanding with constant conquest and warfare despite losing battles and soldiers by the thousands.

Reactions:
That End Game tree looks awesome. I feel that's a good mission tree, it's not just "lets provide some context to your early game actions", it actually effectively guides you through your gameplay as a proper campaign if you want to follow it. Really awesome. Though it should be said that I think basically all the trees have looked really good for this DLC, IMO they are far better than what I have seen of the EU4 trees, at least in my opinion.
No Bactria tree?
Very sad. They're worthy of at least 1 unique.
I am sure they will get a mission tree eventually, just not today. Personally, I expect Bactria will get a mission tree when(if?) they do a DLC focused on India. I think they'd work well as a sort of side focus for that DLC, considering the Indo-Greek Kingdom and all that. Alternatively they could be part of some sort of DLC focused on the eastern Satraps and nations around the Antigonids and Seleucids. But I personally think they work best tied to a potential Indian DLC.

The issues I have with DD focused on Mission Trees is that...

Mission Trees tell stories. Why shouldn't I read these stories the first time I play the contents? These DD dedicate such space with a text wall describing very detailed Mission Trees.

But then, the Invention Tree is shown to us in such briefness. The Invention Tree is there. The Levy system is there. There are also some building changes... But most of these have been described so briefly. It's at this point I don't think any of us can recite anything more than just a few keywords.

I get why Mission Trees are important contents. But I am worried that the actual changes to buildings, levies and mechanics will be such a difference to our expectations simply due to how we have been shown so little.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Statesmanship

As of 2.0, statesmanship will be vastly more important than prominence in republican elections; simulating more of a meritocratic/political aspect to character importance. It should become more likely to have long-serving officials elected to Consul, than those with inherent prominence from one of many sources.
While everything about today's DD sounds great this Statesmanship 2.0 really shone brightly for me and my want of having more of a guiding hand in who's elected Consul.
This alone will hugely improve the quality of engagement in my IR republics.
Thank you so much team!

Sending you the Imperial Plato love (insert appropriate emoji)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Will any of the missions made previously for Punic Wars or Magna Graecia be tweaked? This missions were not designed with these new mechanics in mind, and it would be nice if they could be incorporated. Maybe there could be a mission to turn Rome into an empire.

Reactions:
5.png

"I've one big issue with the new Settlement-UI: You cant see buildings and Pop-Classes together! I need to know which pops living in my city to build the best buildings!

In this point, the old Territory-UI is better than the new one!

Please Paradox do not hide the most important informations about a settlement, the pop-classes and buildings, in different folders!"

• 3Like
Reactions:
That end game tree is quite impressive. It definitely fits the bill for a civilization builder.

I am also happy that you are continuing to iterate on the UI.

I continue to be excited for this release and now feel the "paradox paradox" making it hard to play the current version :)

But, as a few others noted, this DD does feel like it is getting close to release.

• 5Like
Reactions:
View attachment 672151

"I've one big issue with the new Settlement-UI: You cant see buildings and Pop-Classes together! I need to know which pops living in my city to build the best buildings!

Please Paradox do not hide the most important informations about a settlement, the pop-classes and buildings, in different folders!"

Agree! I like the new territory and province tab way more than the old one, but some things still need to be considered. But it's still WIP, so the chances should be high for further improvements. :)

In the following thread your mentioned issue and possible solutions for it are discussed (and other things related to the territory/province UI aswell): https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...r-2-0-including-showcase-screenshots.1449435/

• 1Like
Reactions:
Holy Sites and Treasures

Due to popular demand, you will now be able to remove treasures from holy sites not in your pantheon, without razing sai

Additionally, holy sites have been given more prominence in the territory UI, where the holysite image will now replace the city status image, and will also show any treasures currently in the territory:

View attachment 672109

While I like very much how holy sites can now be viewed in the territory tab, I don't like that it replaces the city art. For me art is very important in this game as it is a way to visualize the world that I am "creating". I would very much prefer to see both holy site and city art in the territory tab reducing the size of terrain in the tab.

• 2Like
Reactions:
While I like very much how holy sites can now be viewed in the territory tab, I don't like that it replaces the city art. For me art is very important in this game as it is a way to visualize the world that I am "creating". I would very much prefer to see both holy site and city art in the territory tab reducing the size of terrain in the tab.

I really like this suggestion, I too would not like to lose the city art for Rome because it has a holy site, showing both side by side could work.
Maybe the terrain, followed by city art followed by holy site art with that transitional inlay.

@Arheo

• 3Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
What does that entails to for the Antigonids in case their cause doesn't waver (and therefore if they only have access to the Antigonos Vision mission tree) ?

Good question, they are an exception, and need either only the first, or the latter two if they did not survive the split.

• 1Like
Reactions:
View attachment 672151

Yes. This.

Unless, of course, if we can get 2 views at the same time.

The UI is already small enough to contain more stuff. There's really no need to put the folders to be exclusive to each other.

Reactions:
Can you please just stop making focus trees and make full system overhauls as the DLC. I know some people are giga hyped for mission trees and flavor like this, but it does nothing for me. I still want to support the game financially however so its core systems can get the love they need. The current financial system does not allow me to show this however. If I pay for flavor I'm supporting more time investment from the devs on flavor in the future, instead of updating core game mechanics. If I don't pay I'm not supporting a game I have spend 500 hours in and I want to continue supporting. It's just a lose lose for me this way, I'd rather have 2 years without updates if that means we get dynamic cultures and religions instead of what we have now, even if that means a 40 euro dlc. I'm going to vote with my wallet and not buy 15 euro mission tree packs, even though that's the only way I could support this project, it just feels bad.

Whether or not you like the mission trees, flavor content like this seems to me to be a far better way to finance the game over time. You want game mechanics to be available to everyone, that way there aren't multiple development paths for different users, which have to be considered every time you want to add more. Just look at EU4; it's generally accepted that certain DLCs are "required" since the game has been built around their features. This creates resentment as players feel forced to drop more money in order to keep playing a game they enjoy, and new players feel put off by a bloated price tag. It has also hampered development in the past, since the devs are less likely to work on paid content after it has been released. I find it pretty encouraging that Paradox is moving in a different direction,

I wouldn't worry too much about flavor content affecting the course of development, any good game has a vision that the developers stick to, and game mechanics are always the fun part. On the other hand, they aren't going to keep developing a game much longer than it is commercially viable to do so.

Reactions: