Imperator DD : Civilization, Buildings and Macedon

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've never tried it, because I'm a bit of a role player and I like to keep things realistic, so I limit myself on stuff like that. But I quite easily get to 25-30% nobles which I already find it difficult to justify by paying just a bit of gold compared to all the benefits it gives and I have to tell to myself to stop building libraries or I'll ruin immersion for myself.
It was kinda my point - they're capping the only buildings that are self-limiting. The first few buildings make the biggest difference, but very shortly afterwards it becomes pointless to build any more. Now instead of that calculation of whether it is worth it, you just can't, because reasons.

Alternatively, the building you're most likely to want to build in your city with 17 Tax Offices is another Tax Office. Yet they're uncapped.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Lots of cool looking stuff, looking forward to playing 2.0, thanks Imperator team!

I don't know in what capacity this has been addressed before, but one change I would like to see is some way to streamline the imports to various provinces. After your empire has upwards of a dozen provinces, it becomes really tedious to constantly find new imports for each one. The only remedy I personally can think of for this would be something akin to the Europa Universalis IV's building screen, where it shows the different bonuses that each province would receive for the import good. Thereby giving you a single menu to deal with your entire empire's imports.

Thanks again for breathing some life into Imperator, this is far and away my favorite time period of any paradox game and I'd love to see it fleshed out to the extent EU4 has become over the years!

• 1Like
Reactions:
It was kinda my point - they're capping the only buildings that are self-limiting. The first few buildings make the biggest difference, but very shortly afterwards it becomes pointless to build any more. Now instead of that calculation of whether it is worth it, you just can't, because reasons.

Alternatively, the building you're most likely to want to build in your city with 17 Tax Offices is another Tax Office. Yet they're uncapped.

That's why I would've capped them all and be done with it. 1-3 tax offices should suffice. Its already going to give you a massive boost on tax anyway.

Reactions:
I don't know in what capacity this has been addressed before, but one change I would like to see is some way to streamline the imports to various provinces
In the Senatus Populusque Subforum in the Suggestions Subforum there have been many Voting Sessions (weeks) where Senators (players) have voted Motions on this regard (suggestions). I invite you to read them if you want:

I like the cap of the pop ratio buildings as currently you are able to get ridiculous high amounts of a certain pop type, even if you are not going completely crazy with building them.

Agree on the tax office. At first you don't want to build it, when the increase is too low to pay off, but at a certain tax income, you want to spam them more and more. But it might be okay, because you don't have unlimited building slots and now that you cannot influence the tax income that much like before, it might take longer until it pays off. But we will see how it turns out after release and if it requires changes.

Reactions:
That's why I would've capped them all and be done with it. 1-3 tax offices should suffice. Its already going to give you a massive boost on tax anyway.
Well half of the issue is the bonuses are pretty trash unless the city is large, but I guess if you slapped a cap on the number of buildings you could justify increasing the effect. It just feels like a very bland tool to just restrict buildings like that. It makes it closer to some of PDX's worse building systems like CK3 where there's no choice (something IR suffers with when Aqueducts are so powerful) and virtually nothing to do.

Reactions:
FWIW this was my view on how to do a simple fix for Buildings, I think it more or less still holds up:

• 2Like
Reactions:
Well half of the issue is the bonuses are pretty trash unless the city is large, but I guess if you slapped a cap on the number of buildings you could justify increasing the effect. It just feels like a very bland tool to just restrict buildings like that. It makes it closer to some of PDX's worse building systems like CK3 where there's no choice (something IR suffers with when Aqueducts are so powerful) and virtually nothing to do.

Absolutely agree! While I like the limits to some buildings, we shouldn't focus too much on limit them further. Rather change building effects, even if it's not easy to find a good scaling.

Edit: Just read your suggestion! It's a good suggestion. The only downside might be a somewhat complex and complicated tooltip :D

Reactions:
I would've capped them all

You will unleash a castration wave in the civilized world. I am more inclined to free will with physical limitations. You can have as many buildings as your city is capable of supporting by land usage and opportunity costs.

I think Devs are trying this way but could explain better.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
What ever could you mean, my example tooltips in there don't sound weird or forced in the slightest :oops:

1610394595723.png

devs could explain better but you could talk klingon and more people will get the message

• 2Haha
Reactions:
1610394595723.png

devs could explain better but you could talk klingon and more people will get the message
Awful isn't it :cool: as you say, they're the ones with a dedicated UI nerd who seems to be doing a pretty good job making everything in the game more understandable, as well as pretty, which I really appreciate.

• 1Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
A happy new year to all the Team! May it be a good one for each of you and also this game! It looks like it will be of to a good start with this great update. I really like te fact that so many different areas of the game are being covered in the update, like the adjustments to trade and buildings even though it is ofc understandable that proper, deep overhauls of these are not the focus of it.

Reactions:
Looking good. Have recently started to get into this game in the past few weeks, off the back of playing HoI4 with my friends. I'm glad to see that development has not stagnated, and am looking forward to the 2.0 update and beyond. Excited to start relearning soon :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Happy new Year @Arheo and @Chopmist !
Both parts looks promising. Good job!

Re aqueducts:
Have you considered our proposal made in the last DD?
Prohibit constructing of Aqueducts on single-tile islands.
  • limits pop capacity
  • realism: impossible to build them across the sea
  • Islands could still have different terrain (mountain, plain, forest etc.)

the latter missions are available to Antipatrid Macedon AND any other Macedonian country who takes Pella while the original tag no longer exists.
In this case, it might be better to tie them to the Macedon tag (form Macedon and unlock 2 missions. Allow Thrace, Egypt and Seleukids to take that decision).

macedon2.jpg

Looks like another possible problem. Would a player-controlled Athens be abel to prevent this?

And what about other concerns raised by the screenshots?

Macedon may also uplift or annex the Paeonian tribes to the north, creating stronger subjects or finally completing Philip II’s campaigns in the region, and continue the Macedonian tradition of recruiting the famed Agrianian javelinmen to permanently bolster their military.
Will you also fix Paeonia’s culture (give them an own) in 2.0?

• 2Like
Reactions:
I really like the way that Imperator is progressing. If it continues on this path it might very well become my favorite paradox game. I would just like to see a more fleshed out culture mechanic relating to culture conversion and the creation of hybrid cultures. For instance, Romano-Gallic or something like that. With that being said, I believe that hybrid cultures should only be formed between a union of two cultures from two different cultural groups. For instance, it wouldn't make sense to have a hybrid Greco-Macedonian culture because they are already so close. Secondly, it would be cool if civilized empires like Rome would have a harder time expanding into heavily Barbarian areas, like Germany.

• 1Like
Reactions: