Imperator DD : Civilization, Buildings and Macedon

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
They are okay changes I suppose. Im a bit disappointed that we are still going to have the meta of unlimited buildings and unlimited aqueducts and mega cities. I dont understand why not do away with it completely and just with half of the buildings, but oh well.

I'm very happy with the compromise of having limited and unlimited buildings. With the right balance it's great for tall play, but with some buildings being limited, you get rid of gamey building effects and can add more meaningful ones. But I completely agree on the issue with the aqueducts! They must get a change in a future update. If you read my post above in this thread, I think I provided a good suggestion, in what direction it could/should go (summary: pop capacity should not be tied to aqueducts - find another way to do that, so aqueducts aren't required more often than any other building, aqueducts should provide a new bonus - with the addition of fires and diseases in mind, it could lower the chances and impacts of these catastrophes, but that's just a suggestion)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I wouldn't count it as additional aqueduct, but as extensions to deliver water in more areas of the city as the city grows.
That is main point, the city has to grow. It is not only the aqueduct that allows for more population.

Now we can grow our dwellings from settlements to cities to metropolis. Aqueducts should be limited in number in cities and then some more in metropolis but definitively not stackable ad nauseum.

And please, do not set an artificial pop limit. We do not have to invent the wheel, PDX already knows how to simulate this with Cities Skylines

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hmm... interesting...

In the screenshot for Roman buildings, if you have counted the numbers, there are 6 already built, but the UI says 7/10

Also, both 7 and 10 slots don't give a direct impression to 58 Pops. In the current version, we have 3 base slots and 58 Pops should give it up to 8 slots.

I wonder...

Also there's a Civilisation Tab, next to presummably Field of Mars tab. I wonder if that tab is for Aqueducts and Road Networks.

Reactions:
Hmm... interesting...

In the screenshot for Roman buildings, if you have counted the numbers, there are 6 already built, but the UI says 7/10

Also, both 7 and 10 slots don't give a direct impression to 58 Pops. In the current version, we have 3 base slots and 58 Pops should give it up to 8 slots.

I wonder...

Also there's a Civilisation Tab, next to presummably Field of Mars tab. I wonder if that tab is for Aqueducts and Road Networks.
Monuments take a building slot.

Reactions:
I would have thought capping the number of aqueducts would be a very sensible move. Lets say 6. And the requirement to build them should be higher - they were monumental undertakings.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Very happy about the building changes :)
- Regarding poptype ratio, would it be possible to make the pop promotion speed work in a way that allows you to promote more than one pop at a time? In my capitals I usually have around 2000+ pops and 200+ pop promotion speed in late midgame, but only one pop is promoted at a time. This leads to having a ridiculous amount of slaves who just want to get to the academies to produce reasearch points, but the que is too long. Also having 50+ surplus of anything but elephants, horses or grain is just useless.

Love the game - regards

Reactions:
Happy New Year!
My only point is that the icon used for building (a kind of house foundations in the middle of grass) is not that really illustrative and maybe could need a rework to make indicate that this is about buildings.
For the rest, greatest of the jobs.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Very happy about the building changes :)
- Regarding poptype ratio, would it be possible to make the pop promotion speed work in a way that allows you to promote more than one pop at a time? In my capitals I usually have around 2000+ pops and 200+ pop promotion speed in late midgame, but only one pop is promoted at a time. This leads to having a ridiculous amount of slaves who just want to get to the academies to produce reasearch points, but the que is too long. Also having 50+ surplus of anything but elephants, horses or grain is just useless.

Love the game - regards
Hopefully the problem will be fixed by making a capital of 2000+ Pops a terrible idea.

Reactions:
So tribes will never have happy pops because they lack civ value and urban planning seems also not to help?

I'm not sure how this conclusion was drawn. That's more or less the way it works now, and which I am aiming to change.

I would have thought capping the number of aqueducts would be a very sensible move. Lets say 6. And the requirement to build them should be higher - they were monumental undertakings.

I haven't covered building costs/time in this diary, but there will be changes coming to those too. On the subject of 'megacities' - I'm not keen on them being optimal play, but I am even less keen on an arbitrary 'maximum' capacity. While it may not render them impossible, the new building/civilization system is another step towards reducing how easy or sensible it is to produce them.

• 25Like
  • 5Love
Reactions:
1.png
I feel like I'm missing something here, is all that empty space next to the pops used for something? Surely it could be used at least to display some values related to pops.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Hopefully the problem will be fixed by making a capital of 2000+ Pops a terrible idea.

Even so - with 33,0% promotion speed in a smaller metropolis, you still use 4 months to promote a pop, and the remaining 32% progression is lost. Same goes for conversion and assimilation speed.

I like my giant capitals with the capability of producing enough research points for my entire empire, but maybe it should be made less beneficial to promote other playstyles

• 1Like
Reactions:
I feel like I'm missing something here, is all that empty space next to the pops used for something? Surely it could be used at least to display some values related to pops.

This is where holdings information will be displayed.

• 8Like
Reactions:
the notable exception of Aqueducts, which will function as before, granting flat local population capacity.
This makes me the big sad.

I'm a fan of these changes, I like the idea of limiting certain buildings, though I would argue that all buildings should be limited (maybe as a ratio? as in you can't build more X until you have more of Y etc) but all the changes are really for nought when the most problematic building in the game is unchanged. The "meta" strategy right now is just to spam aqueducts and these changes really do nothing to address that. People are still going to just make these ahistorical abomination cities with 100 aqueducts pouring enough water in there to make Venice look like a desert. Aqueducts would fit beautifully into that 3 per city catagory, or maybe even X aqueducts per civilisation level... just something to limit the absolute ridiculousness that is right now, and seemingly will still be, encouraged.

• 5Like
Reactions:
This looks really good, and if the changes to the tech tree make technology feel more impactful, that's even better. I like the idea of locking buildings behind techs, and stuff like the urban/rural decision looks awesome. Hopefully, we'll get more decisions like that. Well done.

Reactions: