Imperator DD #106 - UI rework part 2

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am loving what the UI looks like, but I have 2 major gripes still.

View attachment 648805
This is a bad way of showing this information. Pie charts, especially these hollow ones, are simply not good enough.
We're playing as the Antigonid Kingdom in this image, so how much of that pie is Macedonian? It looks to be *around* 15-20% right? Well.. no, because the Antigonid Kingdom has more Hellenic cultured pops than just Macedonians... so how much is it? And *around* is not good enough even if every Hellenic culture pop in your nation was Macedonian.

Somewhere in this UI, we *need* a number. Not a pie or other chart, a number, that tells us what the % of our nation follows our primary Culture. Same for religion.

The Victoria II system of hovering over the pie to show percentages could work fine here too right?
While I agree pie charts are generally bad they have the advantage of being quite compact so I understand why they went with it.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The Victoria II system of hovering over the pie to show percentages could work fine here too right?
While I agree pie charts are generally bad they have the advantage of being quite compact so I understand why they went with it.
No I don't think that would do, tbh. Especially in the provinces tab, you want to see at a glance what the %s are so you can make a decision on whether or not to change the governor policy from that tab.

Reactions:
Diachochi expansion / update confirmed?
I seem to recall them saying they wont ever add a new star date, but I can't help hoping for a war of the diadochi start date, starting with the death of Alexander where you could try to keep his empire together or chose to play as one of the generals and carve out as big a piece of it as possible

Reactions:
Thanks for the feedback, many of you have been saying this and we are working on it!
Thank u! I really like those pie charts :)

Edit: whilst numbers would represent more data, I like it as a representation of a pie chart as not only does it remind me of Vic II but I like it artistically to show how diverse my empire is rather than just numbers

Last edited:
Reactions:
Nice! I love the fact that one can group provinces by the governor and have a clearer overview of what each governor is managing.

The new religious UI looks lovely and so much more tidy! The new art is beautiful, too.

Thanks for the feedback, many of you have been saying this and we are working on it!
@Lord Lambert is likely pleased by this particular news :D

Also any chance we can get painted statues in the religion tab art please? :D

• 6Like
Reactions:
The art looks amazing and the UI is much better. There are plenty of suggetions here in the forum that i agree with so i will not be listing any.
But keep up the good work, i hope the reworks turn out good.

Reactions:
I seem to recall them saying they wont ever add a new star date, but I can't help hoping for a war of the diadochi start date, starting with the death of Alexander where you could try to keep his empire together or chose to play as one of the generals and carve out as big a piece of it as possible

But how would that even work? First of all you cannot play as a governor in Imperator so you would only be able to play as Perdicas if the date was set after Alexander's death, as he was the regent for a short while.

Unless they add some unique mechanic in which only notable figures can be picked like Antipater, Ptolemy and Eumenes and form their nation through event or something, though I would argue that doesn't add anything unique to the table.

Maybe start the campaign after Perdicas' death where the major players have started fracturing already? Still I fail to see how that is different from or better than our campaign start. Or even worthwhile for that matter.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Nice! I love the fact that one can group provinces by the governor and have a clearer overview of what each governor is managing.

The new religious UI looks lovely and so much more tidy! The new art is beautiful, too.
One thing I would like to add to this that now came to my mind. It would be useful if we could change the governor for each province from the Nation Overview panel. Like a button, for example, that could be added next to the governor's name would be nice.

• 1Like
Reactions:
No I don't think that would do, tbh. Especially in the provinces tab, you want to see at a glance what the %s are so you can make a decision on whether or not to change the governor policy from that tab.

That's a lot of data to cram in an already information-heavy screen though. Maybe they could only list the % of your own culture separately and keep the rest in the pie chart or a drop-down menu somewhere?

• 5Like
Reactions:
It *is* an information heavy game. And we should have better access to that info instead of manually clicking each province
It is, but I don’t want a heck a lot of data dumped on my screen. I would agree that some more numerical data would be valuable like showing the distribution of how many types of pops in each Region but I like the use of pie charts so that information is not overloaded on me.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Another critique:

1604333644793.png

On this screen, the grouped income and pops for Asia should still be visible on the UI like they are for the other governorships.

And here:

1604333722157.png

Having a different temple graphic for each of them is so important. This could be done by having 4 standard temple designs, one for each of the catagories, then adding more based on culture and some unique ones like we have there for Alexander.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I really love this DD :) Especially the new religion tab is amazing! I love the artwork and the introduction of the two sub-tabs. The other holy sites in the current old UI don't have enough space and are not very intuitive - this is solved with the two sub-tabs :) I can't wait to see more UI changes!

Very small suggestion: In the nation overview I would like, if the free province investions and the unrest display gets swapped with the max civilization value and number of regions.

Imo the number of regions and the civilization value fit more on the left side of the tab (where pop number, culture and religion is also shown) and especially the unrest belongs more to the right side, where the power base is shown and the risk of a civil war. Just something very small, but it's for the perfectionists and I guess very easy to change this.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
It is, but I don’t want a heck a lot of data dumped on my screen. I would agree that some more numerical data would be valuable like showing the distribution of how many types of pops in each Region but I like the use of pie charts so that information is not overloaded on me.
Showing a number, the most important part of what that is supposed to represent, would take up less space than the information devoid pie chart.

If pie charts were somehoe linked to the period.. like the Romans REALLY loved pie.. then I could look past it... but it aint. It looks bad. Pies are really awful ways of displaying information... and information must be displayed!

Reactions: