Imperator DD #101 - A Most Auspicious Number

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I would put economy as the first tab because it's the tab that I open the most frecuently and it would be more practical.

In the order I suggested economy is first after the cut and more or less in the centre of the (left side of the) screen. So it's in the easily accessible position, while overview of the country and general politics retain the top spot, as they should.

Just have Mercenaries as a tab under Military tbh.

On this I would agree.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The UI rework, if done correctly (as it seems to be from the screenshots) is an absolute game changer. Better UI with more artwork injected in the right places will change the look and feel of the whole game.

Hopefully, this will be a full UI overhaul, including some of the sneakier/more hidden current UI elements which are in a DESPERATE need of a rework (the UI for moving slaves for example is absolutely terrible - definitely done by a programmer).

• 2Like
Reactions:
What's the benefit of having the red ribbon menu along the left edge of the screen, instead of the top where similar information is found in EU4, CK2 (CK3 decided to remove it entirely by the looks of it), HoI4 and Victoria 2? Is it just to make room for the humongous notification ribbons?

In a modern world of everyone using widescreen monitors it just makes more sense to take away a small strip of the total map viewing area from the side rather than the top or bottom. Though many UIs mess this up by putting info bars on the side but making them unnecessarily thick, the screenshots in the OP thankfully seem to have this just right in my estimation.

In a modern world of everyone using widescreen monitors it just makes more sense to take away a small strip of the total map viewing area from the side rather than the top or bottom.
That might have been the case if Imperator didn't already use such a large portion of the width of the screen/map for various other information (1920x1080). In pretty much every case where the outliner and a tab (government, characters etc.) is open, the width of the visible map is significantly more limited than the height. As of August 2020, about 65% of all steam users use 1920x1080 resolution for their primary screen, while only about 11% use a higher resolution. So no, for the large majority of potential players it would make more sense putting the ribbon menu at the top of the screen.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oh my god... I just had given up Imperator because I love CK3, and I am a fan of Roman and Greek history, but this update right here and with plenty more to come got me thinking.....

I found Rome a city of bricks and left it a city of marble.
-Augustus

• 8Like
Reactions:
That might have been the case if Imperator didn't already use such a large portion of the width of the screen/map for various other information (1920x1080). In pretty much every case where the outliner and a tab (government, characters etc.) is open, the width of the visible map is significantly more limited than the height. As of August 2020, about 65% of all steam users use 1920x1080 resolution for their primary screen, while only about 11% use a higher resolution. So no, for the large majority of potential players it would make more sense putting the ribbon menu at the top of the screen.

It's true that many tabs use a large amount in width, but many of them do even more in hight (talking about the relative hight, not the absolute). Maybe not smaller ones, but especially with the government tab and character tab opened almost the entire hight of the screen is used. So if the red ribbon menu ist on the top or on the side of the screen isn't really a game changer in regard to sight of the map.

But I guess the best solution would be an option to let the player decide, if he wants the red ribbon menu sidewards or on the top, where these button - This hopefully shouldn't be much effort for the devs and is the best solution for everyone.

Reactions:
Would it make sense to make the game continue after losing to a revolt which is under the lead of one of my dynasty members (e.g. Arsinoe revolts in the ptolemaic empire and took all Nomoi, so i lost to the egyptian revolt of Arsinoe and I get a GAME OVER from the game, but Arsinoe would continue the ptolemaic dynasty under her own lead and so I could continue the game as Arsinoe) ? Getting a Game Over maybe only when I lost to a native egyptian or a foreign ?

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's true that many tabs use a large amount in width, but many of them do even more in hight (talking about the relative hight, not the absolute).

And that's exactly what is causing the width to be an issue. Look at the screenshots posted by Arheo. Even with the new government tab there is more free space to show the height of the map than the width, even though the map is twice as wide as the height.

Oh my god... I just had given up Imperator because I love CK3, and I am a fan of Roman and Greek history, but this update right here and with plenty more to come got me thinking.....

I found Rome a city of bricks and left it a city of marble.
-Augustus
such as you are a shame, lovers to surrender ahead of time. I've always believed in developers

• 2Like
Reactions:
Would be very good idea to keep current design and interface as an option. I like this, looks like classic Hollywood peplum.

The problem occurs in future updates. Because it would mean to design everytime two UI elements with every update, which contains UI changes or additions. This is pretty unnecessary work, but I understand, why you suggest it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The problem occurs in future updates. Because it would mean to design everytime two UI elements with every update, which contains UI changes or additions. This is pretty unnecessary work, but I understand, why you suggest it.
If there are plans for multiple skins in future by culture group, I could see the current style be an optional skin - but obviously it would be over the new form of interface.

Reactions:
Has Crete got more provinces?

or are my eyes bad?

Last edited:
Reactions:
Would be very good idea to keep current design and interface as an option. I like this, looks like classic Hollywood peplum.

While I understand the desire to retain the old appearance, this simply isn't feasible from a development perspective.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Has Crete got more provinces?

or are my eyes bad?

Welcome to this forum...and a good catch :) Crete currently has 10 territories and given that the screenshots here show at least 13 different coloured parts of Crete, it seems that both territories were divided into smaller ones and new tags were created.

Last edited:
Welcome to this forum...and a good catch :) Crete currently has 10 territories and given that the screenshots here show at least 13 different coloured parts of crete, it seems that both territories were divided into smaller ones and new tags were created.
Thank you for the anwser :3